Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 5th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 201Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty's New Start
    • 5th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    Hazelnutty's New Start 5th Oct 18 at 9:02 PM
    Hi everyone

I've been an MSEr for many years although on and off the forums (I was a total addict of the families board when I was expecting DD) A lot's changed in my life in the last 18 months and it's a new start in many ways so I thought I'd come back and start a diary to help me get me on course. I could do with the support of you lovely people along the way

My ex & I separated (more or less totally amicably) and have divided our financial lives. I took on our new house on my own, which I could do (just!) by remortaging over a longer period (we would have paid it off in 13 years - now it's 25 ) and he took all the money - a division that made sense for various reasons. We now both have new partners now. Mine can't work and I'm supporting me, OH and DD on my salary (with child support from my ex and a kind gift of some safety net savings from my Mum so I wouldn't crash if anything happened).

So now I'm rebuilding. Since moving careers after finishing my PhD I'd earned a lot less than my ex so I've been getting used to having less now and needing to plan and prioritise more than before. I'm now into my 40s so if I can avoid being saddled with my mortgage into my 60s that'd be great!

I'm pretty careful and I save and budget for things like car insurance, holidays etc but after I've squirrelled that away, I'm not left with much to OP or stash for savings. I currently pay £670/month on approx £155k mortgage and top up OP to £700, so it's not much but I'm determined to increase it! I do what I think are Tilly Tidies every day (£1 + whatever pennies are in my current account) but I've just been transferring them into my general savings. That'll be the first thing to turn into an OP. Clearing out stuff for sale on F@cebook too although I've found it pretty frustrating (I work long hours and so get a bit fed up with flakiness). My OH is getting into batch cooking and we're pretty good generally with meal plans etc. But basically I'm pretty up for trying stuff to chip away at the mortgage

DD's calling me for stories so I'll carry on later! Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by Hazelnutty; 05-10-2018 at 9:25 PM.
Page 2
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 10th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    So latest developments on my clearing out spree. Delivered one item today to a house (owner was out) and left £5 in a hidey place. Just hope what I left doesn't get nicked! Went to do the second drop of a huge bag of DD's old cuddly toys and it turned out the person was gathering clothes and toys to send out to children in Romania - so I told her I wouldn't be taking any money .

So am £5 up, two items out of the storage room plus a Freecyle item delivered and a tip run done. Detoured via L!dl and found a winter jacket for DD for £11.99 so I guess I'm really £6.99 down! But she hasn't got anything in her size having had a completely unsanctioned growth spurt so it was needed.

Guess I'd better get back to work
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 11th Oct 18, 9:46 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Morning!

Amazingly, as I apparently have no sense of style and don't understand anything about these things, the jacket I bought for DD has gone down well. Wonders will never cease. She's off shopping with her birthday money with my sister tomorrow so who knows what'll come back.

One of my FB people has delayed pickup again. I'm never quite sure with the excuses people give but I hate confrontation so usually end up being the one who puts themselves out. Other people seem so hardnosed on there. Oh well, still one more pickup on for this evening, another £5. Another item listen on Freecycle too.

Feeling a bit demotivated work-wise. Think I'm just knackered! OH said I need a 'kitten day', which is basically sofa time, Netflix and kitten cuddles.
    Last edited by Hazelnutty; 11-10-2018 at 9:49 AM.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Oct 18, 9:50 AM
    • 7,435 Posts
    • 75,385 Thanks
    greent
    Any chance for a kitten day tomorrow? x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6484.71/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £713.44/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 11th Oct 18, 9:55 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Unfortunately not, Greent. I edit a newsletter for a national body and it's the print deadline on Monday so I'm caught up with that. But I am wondering if Tuesday (even if it's just half a day) could be an option. They are just so lovely at this age (3 months), really playful (although now pretty boisterous) and affectionate so it's the best tonic when you feel tired and run down.
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 11th Oct 18, 10:43 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Just increased OP by £25 starting next month. My CC is looking good this month after a succession of £1k+ months (target is around £800 to cover food, petrol and other costs - I spend on the CC rather than debit card as then I get a nice little stash of John Lewis vouchers every 6 months) and if I can keep it up there's no reason not to OP more on a regular basis, plus the occasional boosts that come in from savings bonuses or FB selling. £25 is quite cautious but if I can really keep the CC spends down then I'll be in a good position to increase the OP again.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 11th Oct 18, 11:31 AM
    • 11,242 Posts
    • 60,335 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Kitten day sounds great, all I need is a kitten and I'm set!
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 11th Oct 18, 12:06 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hmmm, maybe this is a business idea
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Oct 18, 8:44 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Morning everyone!

Another week stumbles to its end...

DD is away overnight with her aunt so OH and I get an evening to ourselves (with the kittens). Decided to stop in but a W@itrose dinner for £10 might be calling (hope they're doing it as we have our hearts set!) Only other spends today catfood, bread and milk for £4.75.

Expenses came in from work so immediately paid off the CC. TT last night added £1.01 to the OP pot. Let down again last night for a FB sale so offering that on today, plus another buyer in last chance saloon Loft bed arriving tomorrow so OH is watching the YouTube video to prepare for the construction!

Plans for today:
    Update spending spreadsheet
    List couple of FB items on Gumtree
    Take pics of DD's bed for listing on FB and GT
    Stop into work for meeting with students (otherwise working at home)
    Go for a little run in the park

Have a good Friday - catch you all later
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey Hazelnutty, we got kittens in April last year and I can honestly say they are just wonderful and add so much joy!

I love an evening snuggling with the little boys- hope you get some time over the weekend for some kitten time x
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £3222.90/ £3000 107%
    Aug: £461.02 Sept: £10 Oct: £212.02

Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thanks Kittenkirst! They are the best waste of time ever. At the moment they're tearing around the house in and out of my study. We've just been dismantling DD's bed so there are lots of new things to climb on (cue major excitement).

OH and I have been watching Prime Suspect from the beginning on Netflix (it's quite hard to watch as not enough has changed since they were filmed in terms of sexism but it's great to see Helen Mirren in action) so it'll be the next episode and kitten cuddles tonight

Bed is dismantled and listed on FB and GT
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Just thinking I'm not actually on the MFW list I guess I should fix that! I might just wait for the mortgage statement in November so I can my actual position and then set a target for OPs in 2019...
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Quick update. Childfree evening went from meal out to Waitrose meal deal to a pie! (Admittedly a Waitrose one). £4 well spent I think (although not v romantic)

Finally got fed up with flaky FB buyer. Kept delaying and also asked for individual photos of each item of clothing in the bundle, which was a real hassle. Kept asking - do you want this? - as it just felt like she was stringing me along and was expecting free delivery as well. Anyway, within an hour of finally just moving on someone else had come by and got it so £15 in the kitty! Another £5 item should go tomorrow.

Also totted up the TTs since last payday: £11.54! So by the time I get paid again I should have at least £20 to OP.

Probably working for couple of hours or so tonight but then it's feet up, pie in and kittens on the lap. Have a great Friday evening everybody.
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 12th Oct 18, 5:37 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Well done on all you selling and decluttering Hazel. It can be so frustrating when people string you along, I had the same thing happen to me recently

Hope the loft bed construction goes well
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Oct 2018 £83,688.04
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 7,435 Posts
    • 75,385 Thanks
    greent
    Glad you managed to sell it Flaky buyers annoy me
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6484.71/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £713.44/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 13th Oct 18, 5:11 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hi all
    Fantastic news today. OH has had her benefits approved following a recent assessment. It's been a terrible time for us both as DWP just treat people so badly - apparently a consultant brain surgeon's expert judgement isn't enough to prove you have a genuine medical issue (oh and also an ENT consultant and basically reams of paper from medical professionals). The stuff in the tabloids about people on benefits raking it in are so dangerous because she's been through hell for a pittance. It does mean that she can start to contribute a few quid to the weekly shopping budget. It won't be much but it matters hugely to her and every little helps. Don't think either of us has got over the shock of this turning out well!

In more trivial news, unfortunately the loft bed fell through. When the seller was dismantling it and taking off some stickers the bed got damaged. As it was an Ikea bed with that shiny finish it couldn't be easily painted over and DD decided she wasn't sure. Grateful the seller sent us pics so we could make our minds up. The upshot it I've now ordered a bed new online, which is lovely but more expensive Having said that it might actually be more future-proof as it's more of a older style... But I am a bit of a soft touch

Popped into town this afternoon to spend more of DD's birthday vouchers. Bought her a guitar case, an unexpected spend but one that I probably should have done a while back as she's a bit of a disaster zone (having dropped it a few times already). Also bought a lovely book for DD at an independent bookshop in return for her handing over her discarded Smiggle pencil cases for me to sell

£5 FB sale later today and another tomorrow all being well. Listed some of DD's old shoes on FB this morning so fingers crossed I'll get some more sales for the OP/bed pot.

Hope everyone's having a good Saturday!
    Last edited by Hazelnutty; 13-10-2018 at 5:44 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 13th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    fantastic news on your OH been award what they are entitled to. We have these hoops to jump through in a couple of years when DD2 moves from childrens DLA to PIP really not looking forward to it. Well done on all the FB sales etc.
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. OP by £50 a month,due to finish Dec 2034 still
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Oct 18, 8:09 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 40,232 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi hazelnutty, just caught up. Sounds like you're up to a good start with you MFW journey. Starting a diary was the best thing I did, definitely keeps you motivated.

There really are some time wasters on Fb but glad you've been able to make some sales. I'd agree about posting more sale posts later in the year, I've bought loads of my children's presents off Fb!
    Oct 2018 -
    part 1 - £75,530
    part 2 - £44,799
    Total - £120,329
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 14th Oct 18, 10:45 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thanks for stopping by, Cross Rabbit and CathT

The ESA claim has been hanging over our heads for so long now and it's been really hard not to feel that you're basically not being believed or that all the medical professionals' statements don't count, because basically the DWP want claimants to fail (or at least a high % of them). I think we'll both sleep a little easier now and I know that being able to make small contributions to the food shopping is psychologically important to OH.

Reorganised some of my FB sales this morning as the bundles weren't getting any interest, so hope to shift some more stuff soon, £5 here and there. I am wondering how long to leave things before giving up and sending them to charity shops just so I can get the storage room clear and usable. Speaking of decluttering I saw a cool ad on FB this morning of a couple of women who have turned their OCD into a business doing decluttering and organisation for people. It looked like a great set-up. Decluttering isn't really my problem as I love a good clear-out, it's just finding the time and energy to move the decluttered items on to new homes.

Main CC cuts off on Tuesday and current balance is £405, which I'm really pleased about (budget is £750). Having said that my spreadsheet isn't showing a nice underspend for me to squirrel away, which is a bit strange. But nonetheless hoping for some extra OP in November.

Unfortunately I have to do some more newsletter editing work now (am clearly procrastinating!) so will catch you all later. Have a great Sunday!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 14th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Great news about your OHs claim being accepted- I bet the relief is huge for her and I can totally understand she wants to contribute to your household

My big brother has had long term mental health issues which are pretty debilitating, he's been that way since a teen and has had a spate of being homeless. Yet every few years he has the stress of the reapplication which is often declined his first time. He then has to get psychiatrists and doctors all involved for it to be agreed again. As an outsider looking in on the process I don't get how some people can defraud the system when such deserving people have such trials and tribulations

The new bed sounds lovely- am I too old to get one too?
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £3222.90/ £3000 107%
    Aug: £461.02 Sept: £10 Oct: £212.02

Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 14th Oct 18, 3:40 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thanks, KK. It just seems like the systems that are put in place to assess people are just totally disproportionate to the task and to the amount of fraud (just imagine how much it costs taxpayers in admin to decline your brother's application then him appeal and get it) If they just got Amazon and Starbucks to pay their taxes it'd totally dwarf all these costs of course.

The bed is lovely. It's a grey silk highsleeper with a cool built in desk. I would totally have it except the thought of a middle of the night loo trip is a little daunting I always wanted a cabin bed or highsleeper when I was a kid (oh and patent shoes). Never got either I do have some nifty patent black DMs now so I guess it all came good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,955Posts Today

6,403Users online

Martin's Twitter