Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 5:14 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 6Thanks
    homeless9
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house
    • 4th Oct 18, 5:14 PM
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house 4th Oct 18 at 5:14 PM
    Hi Everyone....

Prices in the South East, specifically within a 20 mile radius of Guildford, are too damn expensive. I have almost given up buying here. I can afford to buy a property up to the value of 220,000. Around here that basically buys you a 1 bedroom flat and not much more, which might be alright for some, but these apartments just don't cut it for me. I am single and have no ex-wife or kids - I can move anywhere in the UK. I would love to own a house with a garden. I have browsed online and come across nice new 2 and 3 bedroom homes under my budget, these properties are amazingly cheap to me in comparison to what you can get for your money around where I live - the problem is - I have no idea what the locations are like.....

If you guys and ladies have visited, lived in, or live in, a safe location that isn't in the middle of nowhere, in which 1 or 2 or even 3 bedroom homes can by purchased for under 220,000 - please let me know.....any locations within the UK are welcome....

Criteria:

- A safe location, somewhere without anti-social behaviour, somewhere where you can walk down the street and feel completely safe and at ease.

- A location that has typical UK town amenities such as a Gym, a local Supermarket, Parks, shops, railway stations..... I don't mind living in a City, I don't mind living in a medium-large sized town, but living in a village with no shops, gyms, railways, is not for me. I am 30 years old.

I am self employed and work from home. Location does not affect my work. The only thing I need is an internet connection and a nearby Post Office.
    Last edited by homeless9; 04-10-2018 at 9:34 PM.
Page 4
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th Oct 18, 11:22 PM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Aberdeen should be quite cheap by now...?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Oct 18, 12:00 AM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I have family in Newport.
    Yes, the tunnels are a bottleneck at times, but work has now started on the new M4 to bypass the tunnels.

I've always found Newport ok.
    Which areas would you avoid?
    Originally posted by BlackBird75
    Ringland for a start.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 8th Oct 18, 1:13 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    homeless9
    Just going on Taylor Wimpey's website and looking at the houses for sale in many of these locations that you guys have recommended, it amazes me what I can buy compared to Guildford and the surrounding areas here in the South East.

Approx new build prices around where I live:

4 bed: 450,000 - 500,000
    3 bed: 380,000 - 450,000
    2 bed: 310,000 - 380,000

Whereas the locations mentioned by you guys all offer new build properties, 2, 3 and 4 bedrooms between 150,000 - 220,000. Wow - I'd be mortgage free instantly / very quickly. I could afford luxuries like Sky TV, at least 1 holiday per year (probably 2 or 3), maybe I'd get a Dog, save and invest for a early retirement.... whereas in the South East I'd be working until retirement, only be able to afford 1 holiday a year (max), no pet Dog, no money to invest. And the only way I will be able to get a 2, 3, or 4 bed house down here is through Shared Ownership, which is competitive and difficult to get accepted for due to having to work or live in the borough in which the homes are located.

Lots of locations to consider.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Oct 18, 3:06 AM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Sorry Money but you are wrong. There are a number of properties under 220k in Exeter. Yes, a lot are terraced (no idea if the OP would be interested) but some in reasonable areas with gardens, a garage and off-road parking.
    Originally posted by Madmel
    Plus you're not far from the coast and Dartmoor which is beautiful for your days off. I'm a bit biased, could you tell?

Do you have days off?

If you have the time, you need to spend some time in some of these places, even an overnight stay. Being able to relocate anywhere makes it much more difficult.

I have another suggestion - Milton Keynes. It's a fairly young city, good communications and things to do. Lots of properties in your price range. It tends to be a love it or hate it place. When I got a job at the OU we moved there. I loved it, OH wasn't so keen so we bought a bungalow in a village

This is turning into an interesting thread, I look forward to reading the other suggestions
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Oct 18, 3:13 PM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    With Travelodge etc. so cheap and widespread now it is possible to spend time in many parts of the country cheaply getting a feel for areas, but if you are used to London or living in the centre of a big city many places will be a culture shock IMO, especially after 5-6pm.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 10th Oct 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    Towser
    Residents of Derby are the country's best-off in terms of disposable income, according to a study of household finances.

Workers in the East Midlands city - which is strong in transport-related industry such as aerospace engineering giant Rolls-Royce - enjoy an average spending power of 1,456 per month after they have settled their fixed outgoings.

That is 200 more per month than the British national average thanks to a cost of living that came in second-lowest among 30 UK cities, according to a study by finder.com.

The survey compared average city salaries against local rent and other standard monthly outgoings for 30 UK cities, calculating the disposable income of city residents after deducting tax, bills and other necessary general outgoings such as travel and food.

It discovered that the average British person gets to keep 1,083 per month after expenses and tax with the average monthly wage coming in at 2,073, while the average essential outgoings, such as rent, travel and food, total 990.

Reading residents (included in the survey despite not having city status) earn significantly more than the national average, at 2,473 a month, keeping roughly 1,287 after bills and making it the second highest-earning location, after London.

University town Reading has a large academic population, as does Southampton which comes in third, with a disposable income of 1,264.

Scottish cities Edinburgh and Aberdeen come just below the top three with Milton Keynes, Belfast and Swindon also featuring highly.

At the other end of table, the residents of the buzzy seaside city of Brighton limp in last with just 751 a month after essentials, almost half the amount of those in Derby, a massive difference of 705.

This is due to Brighton having the fifth highest living costs (1,170) but also the seventh lowest average salary (1,921).

Norwich comes just below as the second worst city for disposable income. It has the lowest monthly salary in the study (1,762), leaving locals with just 872 of spending money every month.

Plymouth comes in third with locals receiving on average of 937 a month. Manchester and York finish the worst five cities with Portsmouth and Exeter just above.

Despite Londoners' earning the highest wage, they also, unsurprisingly, have the most bills and so feature much lower on the overall list.

Derby is the city that has highest disposable income, an average of 1,456 per month
    Derby is the city that has highest disposable income, an average of 1,456 per month

Their disposable income is 1,095, only 12 above the UK average in the study. Their monthly outgoings of 1,629 are also over 350 more than any other city.

Hull is the city with the lowest outgoings of any city in the UK at just 767 per month.

However, residents have a lower monthly wage of 1,816 which means their disposable income is 1,049, below the study’s UK average.

Jon Ostler, CEO at finder.com, said: 'If you're considering moving to a new city, it is important to have an idea of the cost of living there.

'It may seem counter-intuitive, but this analysis shows that a lower wage offered in a different city doesn't automatically mean you have less money to spend, and could actually see you keep more.

'If you want to keep a closer eye on what you're spending, budgeting apps are useful tools to track your outgoings. This will ensure you don't overreach financially but can also help you grow your savings or spot ways that you can easily save money.'
    • Towser
    • By Towser 10th Oct 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    Towser
    OP What about Derby?
    • Towser
    • By Towser 11th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    Towser
    DE22 postcode is the least deprived in the area of Derby.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Oct 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 10,364 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    ... the least deprived ...
    Originally posted by Towser
    is that a euphemism for "not completely mank"?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Oct 18, 11:52 AM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Just wait a while, they will be cheaper across the country pretty soon I think.
    • Beans27
    • By Beans27 11th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Beans27
    Giggling here at the idea of Norwich being a Northern Town. All depends where you're starting from I guess!!

I'm NOT going to suggest moving oop north. Absolutely not.

Wonderful characterful Edwardian townhouse over 4 storeys for 225,000, 2 mins walk from train station (central Leeds 19 minutes), walking distance to doctor, dentist, hairdresser, vet, pubs, restaurants, Post Office, chemist, supermarket, coffee shops, etc etc etc, yards from the Leeds Liverpool canal (world heritage site), and easy access to wide open countryside. Nope - not going to say where it is. We don't want everyone moving here...
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Can I hazard a guess - Saltaire
    OP, suggestions of Leeds and Sheffield sound good for you
    • airandwater
    • By airandwater 11th Oct 18, 4:13 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    airandwater
    Have you considered Maidstone?

You can buy a 2 bed house in and around Maidstone for under 300k. The city also offers decent amenities, links to London, access to Canterbury, southern coast and there are enough businesses established in the area should you wish to become employed.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 13th Oct 18, 3:00 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    homeless9
    DE22 postcode is the least deprived in the area of Derby.
    Originally posted by Towser
    https://strata.co.uk/our-developments/definition-mackworth/barcelona-4-bedroom-homes/

nice, you can get this beauty for just 225,000. How much do you think I could get from having 3 lodgers in my spare rooms?
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 13th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    homeless9
    I will keep everyone's suggestions in mind. I have been looking at new build developments in the towns/cities suggested. I have also had a gander on Google street view.

For now I am waiting on some news on some recent Shared Ownership applications I made for new build properties available down here near Guildford. No doubt I will be rejected as the homes I have applied for are not in my borough. Seems pot luck whether you get one of these S.O homes. They don't build many in my borough, and if they do they are ridiculously overpriced flats in the town centre with ridiculously high service charges.

One of the housing associations I have applied for have significantly reduced the rents on their S.O properties as I guess they couldn't sell them with the initial rental charges they had in place. If I can get one then I'd be laughing - as they are affordable. Unfortunately it looks unlikely, only a few left and no contact from them, but fingers crossed.
    • corell
    • By corell 13th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    corell
    I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying Middlesbrough. The place is chav central. It's the worst place I ever lived. Rife with anti-social behaviour. I realise you may choose a completely different area to the one I lived in, but the chavs still go to the town centre.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 13th Oct 18, 9:38 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    homeless9
    I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying Middlesbrough. The place is chav central. It's the worst place I ever lived. Rife with anti-social behaviour. I realise you may choose a completely different area to the one I lived in, but the chavs still go to the town centre.
    Originally posted by corell
    Yes....

Please no Chav Towns.....
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Oct 18, 10:04 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 10,231 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Yes....

Please no Chav Towns.....
    Originally posted by homeless9
    What does this even mean? You don't want to have to see poor people?
    • MeepleH
    • By MeepleH 14th Oct 18, 7:31 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MeepleH
    Im from the south east. I purchased a huge 3 bedroom house in the Scottish seaside town of Girvan for 45k.
    The air is clean and the views are stunning.
    Here is an example of what you can get for your money.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75546326.html
    I also work from home. I will never buy a house down south, its not worth it!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 14th Oct 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Look outside the thing of wanting new builds too. I know a few that have bought them and they have had no end of problems. Shop around a bit. You can get good value for money if your out the towns too
    roll on end of April 2019 *20 done* = *20 to go*
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 14th Oct 18, 3:43 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    homeless9
    Im from the south east. I purchased a huge 3 bedroom house in the Scottish seaside town of Girvan for 45k.
    The air is clean and the views are stunning.
    Here is an example of what you can get for your money.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75546326.html
    I also work from home. I will never buy a house down south, its not worth it!
    Originally posted by MeepleH
    Very nice. If you can find something so cheap in a place you like - that's amazing.

One thing I don't understand about people is - they pay all this money for a house and they don't give a !!!! about how it looks....

Even just a nice lick of paint to the outside of the house doesn't cost much and can make a big difference, yet people in the UK just let their house look a mess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,768Posts Today

7,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin