Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Oct 18, 4:56 PM
    • 17,380Posts
    • 48,243Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Best course of action/relevant consumer law?
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:56 PM
    Best course of action/relevant consumer law? 4th Oct 18 at 4:56 PM
    I bought an item of clothing (Radley handbag - so not cheap) from a shop whilst on a recent visit to my home city (ie House of Fraser).

I have found since that there is a fault with it.

Normally, that wouldnt be a problem. I'd just take it back to the shop concerned with my receipt and say "Refund please".

But, it was bought in my home city and that is several hours travel away from where I'm living - and so isnt possible.

I've been in contact with Radley.

Several frustrating emails to and fro between us and them saying a variety of things to me later - eg they started by asking for a photo of the fault (which I'm unable to provide anyway - as I have no means of taking a photo etc) - ie they looked like they were trying to resolve this.

I responded by requesting them to give me details of how I could return their handbag directly to them for either repair at their expense (ie them covering postage costs) or a refund.

As stated - various emails between us later and the general feeling that either "the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing" in their firm or they are deliberately stonewalling. The latest email from them is trying to wash their hands of this and tell me to return it to the shop I bought it from to deal with and saying they can only deal with goods bought from Radley shops - though I've repeatedly made it plain that I can't do that (ie because the shop is some hours travel away).

I'm not aware of there being any such thing as "Radley shops". People buy Radley handbags from shops that sell a variety of handbags as far as I'm aware - eg a House of Fraser store.

What is the best way to proceed now?

Are there any suitable laws I can quote that state that the manufacturer HAS to deal with complaints if it's not feasible for the shop to do so for any reason (eg it's too far away)? (I imagine there must be)

Does anyone know name/email address of someone suitably high up in the Radley firm that I can contact? - and hopefully they will "know what they're doing" and deal with this appropriately.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 04-10-2018 at 4:59 PM.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
Page 2
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 18, 4:12 PM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    A tip for future would be to go try everything on whilst visiting home to get the right fit/size, make a note of the code/item numbers and size needed then order order online once you get back.

Saves on suitcase space and problems if anything needs returning, of course if you see anything on sale or something you really can't do without will will have to buy it, in case its not available online when you get back.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    You may well be right and I guess maybe chain shops are deliberately trying to push us in that direction?

SEVEN !!!!! days later I've had a (one sentence) reply to my email I sent House of Fraser nationally - which states "Take it back to the store you bought it from". That, even though I made it very plain I couldnt (because of the distance). Supremely helpful of them - not! I know what I think of their customer service - or lack thereof.

Just as well a local friend offered to try and fix the bag for me - and has done so in the meantime

So it's taken from 19 September to today for first Radley (who do their best not to reply at all if they can possibly help it and need numerous nags to get a response from them at all) and then House of Fraser to give me the run-around and make me send them numerous emails to get them to resolve this - before I got that one sentence "*** off" email from them today finally....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-10-2018 at 4:33 PM.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    SEVEN !!!!! days later I've had a (one sentence) reply to my email I sent House of Fraser nationally - which states "Take it back to the store you bought it from". That, even though I made it very plain I couldnt (because of the distance). Supremely helpful of them - not! I know what I think of their customer service - or lack thereof.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You could take it back to a store your just choosing not to. It's not unreasonable for them to ask you to do this when you purchased it from a store in the first place.

You also expected the manufacturer to help you when you wouldn't even provide a photo of the problem!.

You must realise by now the only person being unreasonable is you...
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Ah right - "choosing" not to go back to the shop I bought it in - when it's around 4 hours travel away by car (which I don't have) and 7 hours travel away for me in actual fact (ie going by train), then a stay overnight somewhere, then coming back here again the next day (another 7 hours or so travel) and a cost of tens of ús for the rail fare.

Oh right - "choosing"

Oh right - and no photo - I was actually going to take up a friends offer to do a photo and send it to me by email, so that I could forward it. "Choosing" right
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    Ah right - "choosing" not to go back to the shop I bought it in - when it's around 4 hours travel away by car (which I don't have) and 7 hours travel away for me in actual fact (ie going by train), then a stay overnight somewhere, then coming back here again the next day (another 7 hours or so travel) and a cost of tens of ús for the rail fare.

Oh right - "choosing"

Oh right - and no photo - I was actually going to take up a friends offer to do a photo and send it to me by email, so that I could forward it. "Choosing" right
    Yea so just like you chose to buy it from that shop in the first place your choosing not to go back because it is possible. How is it the shops fault that you took it 7 hours travel away by train?, again that is your choice.
    I assume you know the definition of "choosing"

If you want a service where you have the option of sending back faulty items by post or having them collected from your home you can shop online.

Also you never did send the photo when you were asked for one, instead you chose to keep trying without sending the photo and then complained about them not helping you .

Also why don't you have a camera? I don't know anyone who's doesn't have a camera. Just think of all those photos of lost family members and moments your missing out on in years to come
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 6:21 AM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 8:22 AM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    DoaM
    Are HoF stores still open? If yes, why not take it to your nearest one?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Are HoF stores still open? If yes, why not take it to your nearest one?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks for a genuine helpful suggestion - but, as explained earlier in the thread, my nearest HOF store is Cardiff and that is quite a distance from me (even if I had a car - which I don't). A whole day trip and tens of ús to visit them.

I'm actually quite surprised by the level of unhelpfulness shown by HOF and would be wondering if they'd even deal with things if I was literally standing there in the Cardiff store or plead "Oh no - it was from another one of our stores. Nowt to do with us" (even though it is - as it's the same "brand" of store).

If the national level office is "washing their hands of it" and CBA to deal with (even though it is the same store) then I'd be willing to bet any other HOF store would take the same attitude.

No wonder these chain stores are going down like ninepins at present actually. Though, even buying an item over the Internet might not necessarily cause them to "do their duty by the consumer" - having bought a (not cheap) set of garden furniture from a store online and they refused to deal with it appropriately when it developed a fault fairly soon on (they wanted to charge ME quite a noticeable amount of money for "transport costs" to ship me replacements)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 11:52 AM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    DoaM
    HoF all run under the same company, so any store would be bound to the same responsibilities as the store a purchase was made from.

But this isn't because of the "brand". Subway shops, for example, are all under the same brand but they're actually franchises. Thus if you had a complaint against one store you couldn't seek a resolution from another one (unless it was owned by the same franchisee).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 12:41 PM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    So why were they so unhelpful at national level - if they're all the same brand?

Do you know?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 12:50 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    DoaM
    Because they know Mike Ashley is taking over, so they're getting into the right mindset for his companies?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 12th Oct 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8,998 Posts
    • 8,722 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    What would you have actually expected them to do?

Requesting a photo of the damage/seeing the damaged item in person/a store are pretty basic and reasonable requests.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 2:03 PM
    • 17,380 Posts
    • 48,243 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I offered to get a friend to take a photo and me to forward it.

Anyways - on this occasion said friend repaired the damage for me and the handbag is sorted that way. But it has left me feeling a bit "nervous" in case this crops up again.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 12th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    parkrunner
    I've just emailed friend that "lives on their mobile phone" to ask her to take a photo of it next time we meet.

I don't like being put in a position where I have to ask friends for favours - don't want to "wear out my welcome" for that.

A real friend won't have any problems with helping you unless of course it's never ending.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 12th Oct 18, 7:43 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo

I have quite a systematic approach to it - I spend a bit of time people-watching those walking round my home city to see how they're dressed. Then I hit the shops - main streets, side streets, etc with my list in hand.
    Might just be me because no-one else has commented on it, but that sounds a bit creepy
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 13th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Callie22
    It's probably not much help (as it's further away than Cardiff) but there is a Radley store in the McArthur Glen Outlet centre in Swindon.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Oct 18, 4:12 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    You may well be right and I guess maybe chain shops are deliberately trying to push us in that direction?

Just as well a local friend offered to try and fix the bag for me - and has done so in the meantime

So it's taken from 19 September to today for first Radley (who do their best not to reply at all if they can possibly help it and need numerous nags to get a response from them at all) and then House of Fraser to give me the run-around and make me send them numerous emails to get them to resolve this - before I got that one sentence "*** off" email from them today finally....
    You mean arent willing to.
    After all,you made the journey at least once before
    Also all the time spent contacting Radley was your choice.
    Remember that HOF old customer service? Well where did that get them?
    Last edited by custardy; 13-10-2018 at 4:26 PM.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Oct 18, 4:25 PM
    • 22,988 Posts
    • 57,639 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Its not unusual when people go away on holiday to treat themselves to a 'big' purchase I'd say it was quite common,
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Really? I don't. Partly because I think "What happens if there's a fault and i need to take it back", partly because I've spent most of my money on actually going on holiday.
    Last edited by Tigsteroonie; 13-10-2018 at 4:27 PM.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 13th Oct 18, 8:46 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    It's probably not much help (as it's further away than Cardiff) but there is a Radley store in the McArthur Glen Outlet centre in Swindon.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    There's also a Radley store at the McArthur Glen Outlet in Bridgend, South Wales.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,623Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter