Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Oct 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2,414Posts
    • 7,474Thanks
    Munchin
    Munchin's Marvellous Debt Busting Diary
    • 2nd Oct 18, 7:59 AM
    Munchin's Marvellous Debt Busting Diary 2nd Oct 18 at 7:59 AM
    Morning

I've decided to start a new diary as the old one was about trying to stay debt free when I had finally cleared my debt in January this year. Over the course of 3 diaries I have paid off £26,000 (approx) debt but unfortunately I'm back in debt...again . I know there probably doesn't seem to be any positives to debt but the difference now is that I have things to show for it. I've roughly calculated that I have (or will have) £6,300 worth of debt which is due to my credit card debt and I am in the process of getting a new bathroom in my Mum's house. I know the debt wont be more than the above figure but it will be close to it. I will update my signature with the total amount once I see the bathroom people on Saturday to confirm.

In my last diary I wanted to focus on my savings and I still want to do that but realistically they will be curtailed as I want to be debt free by the end of 2019. I do have a savings policy maturing in 2019 which will be just over £3000 but I would like to keep that to really boost my savings pot. For those that know me ..I am such a fritterer...oh shiny bauble ...must buy BUT no more!!!!!

This diary is going to be my attempt at a spending fast and to change the bad habits that keep dragging me back into debt.

I still have the following aims for 18/19 -
    • Debt free by end of 2019
    • An Emergency fund for a rainy day - target £6,000.
    • A dream trip ...I had hoped for the Maldives but it is now looking like Sri Lanka as I have friends there.
    As I said in previous diaries in the months ahead my diary will continue to be about penny pinchingÖ.probably giving off to myself about frittering and mainly about getting my debt cleared.

In the words of so many MSE'rs please pull up a chair, bring the Jaffa cakes and offer helpful advice (tell me off please )
    Scrimpy Challenge 1 - Banish the Debt - £xx/£6300 (xx% paid)
    Scrimpy Challenge 2 - Emergency fund - £22/£6,000(0%)
    Scrimpy Challenge 3 - Dream Holiday - £750/£3000 (25%)
Page 2
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 11th Oct 18, 5:01 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Sorry you're feeling "blah". I tend to feel like that more at this time of year and start reflecting on things more than usual.I I hope work get in gear and let you know soon
    My debt-free diary
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 36,881 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I bet it's a combination of dark mornings/evenings and feeling tired. Try and keep going to yoga as it's good for de-stressing, but try and pamper yourself a bit more generally.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Oct 18, 8:13 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks Lilith & HHD - I was in bed super early last night but woke at 4 this morning. Iím either not sleeping at night or waking up ridiculously early, even for me but it will pass.

Amazingly good news I got the job. I got a call on the quiet and told not to say anything and yesterday evening our super slow HR people emailed me to let me know and at the same time my boss was emailed to let her know that I was successful and she had to release me within 2 weeks. I will be in new job by November . There is a work gym which I think is £20 per month and lovely walking trails. Yes it is a bit further way and I will have to drive but the benefits will outweigh the negatives.

On other news Iíve been invited to a wedding in November. I have a dress I could wear but need to try it on today to see if it still fits. If not I might have to fork out more money I really donít want to. I will also need to get a wedding pressie but it will be a great day with a good laugh.

Tonight Iím heading to Belfast to Lush classical and need to drag jeans out of wardrobe.

Plans today
    • Run
    • Volunteer
    • Clear out wardrobe
    • Iron
    • Tidy house

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 13th Oct 18, 8:21 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Congratulations!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Oct 18, 8:42 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Congrats on the Job Offer! Subscribed
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 50/3564.05, MBNA CC - 400/3144.96, Savings - £300/5000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 13,625 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Wonderful, wonderful news about the job Munchin and congratulations! Thoroughly well deserved! I bet you're over the moon and how great it'll be to get away from the horrible bully.

Have a great day and enjoy the concert this evening.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 08/10/2018: £1,719.39
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 31
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 9:31 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 36,881 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Congratulations Munchin what brilliant news on getting the job
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 14th Oct 18, 12:09 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Yay, congrats on the job Munchin
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thank you everyone , so happy and relieved. Looking forward to a new start and leaving the problems behind

Iím a bit worried once he finds out Iím going but there is nothing he can do to stop the move...heís also a Union rep and abuses that position.

Concert last night was almost like I was in a nightclub and just like going to nightclubs in the past I wanted my bed when the party was just getting going. Absolutely shattered today but it was a great night.

Making tea now and then will prep for work tmw.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Oct 18, 6:32 PM
    • 57,418 Posts
    • 235,054 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the job
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 20th Oct 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I've been MIA this week but I've just been so busy and tired. My current boss is determined to get her pennies worth out of me before I leave so I've been in work from 7am and home at 7pm...so quite long days and no I don't do 12 hour shifts. I was also organising a massive volunteer thing which was on Thurs night and I now feel that all the stress is over and normal action can resume.

The bully in work hasn't really annoyed me as much as I thought he would but its obvious he's turned his attention on a colleague as she will probably replace me. I always thought she was a lot tougher than me but she has already threatened to walk out if she is forced to take my job. It is ridiculous one person can have that effect and be allowed to get away with it. I haven't got an official leaving day as boss is trying to delay my escape and I do understand why as I run the bigger and busier team but HR have told me that as the new post is considered a priority post then there is no arguing on the date and I'm out of there next week .

I have spending to do but trying to keep it to a minimum. I've been invited to a wedding in Nov. I had an idea my Mum would be invited and my sister had volunteered to go with her but my Mum got an invite and so did I. I have nada to wear...I have a few dresses but they are a bit tight on me so just going to bite the bullet and try and get something in the sales. I don't want anything expensive as it will be a one off.

Today is a tidy day. My sister is coming home with her kids for Halloween so will have to sort out her room at Mums. I want to go through my wardrobe and see what I have for the winter and organise work clothes for new job. I think there will be a good bit of decluttering.

I also have to look a budgets as I need to buy buns and stuff for work, add on more to fuel costs as I will be driving to work rather than getting the train when the new job starts. Lots of planning but I will get there

Weekly spends - w/c 21st Oct

Sun 21 - NSD
    Mon 22 -
    Tues 23 -
    Wed 24 -
    Thurs 25 -
    Fri 26 -
    Sat 27 -

Total - £xx
    Last edited by Munchin; Today at 11:24 AM.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 21st Oct 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I bet you can't wait to get out of there, Munchin. I'm a firm believer that bullies do what they do because they feel inadequate. Not that that helps the people being bullied.

You'll be out of that soon enough. I remember the huge relief I felt at getting away. It all still makes me shudder
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 21st Oct 18, 11:37 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 7,474 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks Lilith,

Iíve started taking bits and bobs home with me, which I will take into my new job.

Yesterday I got all my things done and I didnít have to get rid of very much. I just put things in order and switched my summer stuff for winter stuff. I saw a pair of boots in Dorothy Perkins the other day and I was tempted but once I brought out my winter stuff I found a pair of boots that are really similar

Iíve ordered a dress for the wedding and it cost £36 but Iím hoping it will do the job as I have all the accessories. I went into the big town to try things on but they had nothing I was interested in and thatís why I ordered online. Iím not sure how shops manage to stay open if the range is soo poor.

This week I have 1 volunteer thing and probably a leaving lunch . I will have to fork out money for parking this week and then I need to return travel card for refund ASAP. The train company say the rebate is from the day they receive the card so I donít want to miss out on too many days. That rebate should cover my fuel for the next 4 months.

We donít have many plans today, normally we go for a walk but itís truly wet and horrible outside. Warm fire and tea could be the excitement of the day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,693Posts Today

6,921Users online

Martin's Twitter