Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 30th Sep 18, 8:07 PM
    • 21,106Posts
    • 238,887Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st October 2018
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:07 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st October 2018 30th Sep 18 at 8:07 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Mix-it up Monday - your bedroom and any connected areas eg en suite/dressing room

Level 1

Clear the floor
    Open windows
    Strip bed
    Empty bins
    Clean windows and mirrors
    Make bed with fresh linen
    Wipe switches and sockets with a just-damp cloth

Level 2

Dust everywhere
    Wipe lotion and potion bottles with your (rinsed) damp cloth
    If you have an en suite clean loo/basin/shower

Level 3

Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

Extras

peg out some washing
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    S&S kitchen

Terrific Tuesday....halls, stairs, landing and entrances

Level 1

Clean windows in these areas, dust any sills and vacuum drapes
    With a damp cloth wipe sockets, switches and banisters
    Thoroughly clean doormats
    Wash down outsides of doors

Level 2

Check and clean lighting
    Dust anything on walls
    Put away coats etc not being worn
    Dust any furniture

Level 3

Dust skirtings
    Vacuum/sweep/mop as appropriate
    Open doors and clean under them
    Sweep steps

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hours - hit that TOOTS list

Wonderful Wednesday - love your lounge

Level 1

Open the window and let in some fresh air
    Empty bin
    clean ashtrays
    Deal with plants and flowers
    Remove/rehome gibble

Level 2

Dust sockets, skirtings
    Wipe electricals
    Clean sofa/chairs and plump cushions

Level 3

Dust anything else
    Ensure fires are ready to go - dust or rake out ashes or whatever
    Sweep, vacuum or mop floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour

Thursday Thrills - Bathroom

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain or wipe that screen
    Wipe down tiles and/or and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Clean shower tray
    Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
    Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
    With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
    Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
    Bleach the drain
    Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Ring a friend and plan a get-together
    MAD half hour
    Last edited by Valli; 03-10-2018 at 8:29 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 1
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 30th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 38,941 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    Thank you Valli for the new thread, and Natty for last week's. I shall do as much as I can, bearing in mind that
    - DH might have to go back to the lung function unit or see his GP, as he's complaining of discomfort in his chest
    - I've got a routine horse piddle appointment on Monday morning
    - I'm waiting for someone to ring me to arrange two meetings this week
    - I have to do a GIft Aid claim this week
    - we're supposed to be going to South Wales on Thursday to visit DH's cousins, just for the day - but I am insisting that we go overnight because I daren't drive that distance and back in one day if I get a rubbish night's sleep
    - my study is still a depressing mess.

Big (((hugs))) to Fayolle, dancemum, Jojo, Froddy, LW, YL, roundtuit, Natty, MadamMin, Dizzy and anyone else who needs them xxx
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 30th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    • 37,003 Posts
    • 475,930 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    hi.. tracking... thank you xxxx
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    13/05/2019 50266.16 (2.41% int.)
    • Valli
    • By Valli 30th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 21,106 Posts
    • 238,887 Thanks
    Valli
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 30th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    oops...

Flylady 2018 Challenges - GO FLYERS GO

SCRIMPERS (no spend October)

atypical blonde
    Lamewolf
    Pigpen
    Natty - 9lb lost so far.
    Kazwookie
    Jazee
    Honey Bear
    Valli
    Fayolle
    Yorkshirelass
    Lynnejk
    Mumof2

SLINKIES - weight loss challenge

Lynnejk - 9lb
    Narcolepsy *some*
    Valli 2st/28lb
    Dizzy Imp 2st/28lb
    FurryBeastOz 2st/28lb
    nannygladys 3st/42lb
    Fayolle 2st/28lb
    atypicalblonde 2st/28lb
    Princess Money Penny
    Lil_me 5st/70lb
    JojotheTightfisted
    LameWolf 2st/28lb
    Roundtuit 56lb
    Jazee 2st/28lb
    Pigpen *some*
    MrsMoneypenny 1st at least
    Froddington 2st
    Dancemum 3st
    Mademoiselle about 2 st
    Ionafan 1st 11lb 9lb (hope that's right!) Excellent work
    donnajt 3 st
    Rosemary7391
    Mrs Chaos 16lb
    Faete 2st
    Natty 1st 7Ib {9lb lost}
    Kazwookie 2st tbc
    Honey Bear 5 kgs

Flymarketeers

FurryBeastOz
    Pigpen
    Valli
    Mumof2
    donnjt - 1k for hols

H2H (hovel to haven)

HoneyBear
    Froddington
    Roundtuit
    Mumof2
    FurryBeastOz
    funfairprincess
    Mrs Moneypenny
    hex2
    Fayolle
    lynnejk
    riotlady
    donnajt - by Summer
    Mrs Chaos
    Natty
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 30th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 24,682 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    • 30th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 30th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    Thanks for lists. Mr N and I have a fair few listy projects too.
    In the meantime bil arrived safely with mil despite the closure of M27 prolonging their journey; I'd expected them to turn up soon after I came back from church, but it was nearer 5pm. Think some serious discussions will be taking place regarding mil who now forgets practically everything.

For me it's gym in the morning, flower club and Zumba on Tues then uni I'm booked for Wed and Thurs.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 1st Oct 18, 6:05 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:05 AM
    Morning all,

I'm back in this week, and feeling motivated, long may it last.

Great clearing out was done at the weekend, 2 trips to the tip with the trailer and 7 big bags of garden rubbish put out for today (that's the max they allow). Garden bags already started for next week. Boot full of stuff taken to charity shop too. Most of the stuff taken to the tip was from the garage so you can't tell in the house but it did lead to sorting out bits and bobs here and there in the house. It was also an opportunity to discuss just how much needs to be done.

We are trying to get our garden back under some sort of control as it has been neglected for quite some time, to be honest we have cut the grass but nothing else so borders are like a jungle and the drive is overgrown with weeds. Best not mention the hedges. We cleared a good part of the drive yesterday and plan to keep is cleared whilst doing a bit more each week. Also cleared a small raised bed attached to the house so will plant a few herbs in that to make it look nice and stop the weeds taking hold again.

Right, I'm off to shower, have breakfast and get on with today.

See you all later
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 1st Oct 18, 6:09 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 22,401 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:09 AM
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:09 AM
    Morning all,

Thanks for the lists barely have time to read let alone post ATM. Thinking of you all though and flying where I can.

Have lovely days all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 1st Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 22,113 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    • 1st Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    Morning flyladies!

Thanks for the lists - I do try to fly with them, honest Guv'

Glad it is the sleeping pit bedroom today. It needs attention to be sure.

Supporting vibes with all people coping with elderly parents/relatives. Hoping that each situation eases and appropriate support is put in place x

Need to pick up approx. 1 metric tonne of chicken corn this morning and make lentil soup (been craving this all weekend, for some reason)

Time for breakfast club, so gotta fly!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 1st Oct 18, 7:38 AM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 128,594 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 1st Oct 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1st Oct 18, 7:38 AM
    Morning

Thank you for all the lists.

I'm up washed/ scrubbed/ and in office wear not going to take lunch today as I have a feeling / hope my boss' boss will take me to lunch today! if not I'll have to buy something.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 1st Oct 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 40,984 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Hi and I'm back in! Many. thanks for the list.
    Been printing off the lists for last week each Monday morning and working through but want to try to do it the normal way this week ... will see how it goes. See you soon.
    Flymarkeeteer: 168 and counting
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 1st Oct 18, 7:51 AM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 55,884 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    The easiest way to get spiders out of the bath is to hang a longish bit of loo paper over the side, so that the bottom of it sits in the bath and the other end lies on the floor. The spider then has something to grip on to so can climb out. I'd suggest a towel but the thought of their spider legs and feet on my towel is a bit :shudder:

Hoping that chap comes back to finish the grouting, socket and leak so that the ktichen can be completely re-instated. OH and I did a lot of tidying yesterday to get things back to normal. He put the secondary glazing up and I eventually hung the front door curtain having cleaned the lobby area of spiders' nests. Clearing paperwork today until a dentist's appointment.
    Keeping it AF
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 1st Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Going well this morning, so far 2nd load of washing on, ironing basket emptied, but not for long as have just washed a load of shirts. Washing up done. Tidied around living room. Just sat down with coffee to go through post, mainly junk and then do some banking. Working at 14.30 and need to pop into a couple of shops, socks and vest top for DD1 and I want a few plants to put in the border I cleared yesterday.

Hugs for those that want or need
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 1st Oct 18, 10:22 AM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 38,941 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all

Need to pick up approx. 1 metric tonne of chicken corn this morning and make lentil soup (been craving this all weekend, for some reason)
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    Me too - must be the change in the weather - but I make mine with red lentils rather than chicken corn

Good start so far (sat down with for 5 min just now to catch up with emails).

- had a reasonable night's sleep with my wax earplugs
    - stripped bed
    - started WMx1
    - decluttered horse piddle appointment - the queue for getting out of the badly designed car park was slower than the one to see the Dr
    - made 2 quick housecalls to collect / deliver paperwork
    - went to bank to pay in cheque for DH and get cash out for me
    - went to PO for stamps
    - went to corner shop for milk
    - hung out washing on line

Still got a long list of things to be done today
    DH (who was sat playing a game on his iPad when I left and has only just emerged from the shower) is complaining about the length of his list which is less than half mine

Onwards and hopefully upwards.
    (((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed xxx
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 1st Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    • 10,958 Posts
    • 120,485 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The easiest way to get spiders out of the bath is to hang a longish bit of loo paper over the side, so that the bottom of it sits in the bath and the other end lies on the floor. The spider then has something to grip on to so can climb out. I'd suggest a towel but the thought of their spider legs and feet on my towel is a bit :shudder:
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I wouldn't wait for 'em to climb out I'm afraid. They get the glass and piece of cardboard method and a swift eviction here. I don't need them wrapping their silk around my bath lift!

I'll be doing what I can manage - mega-stressed and not really coping very well.

To add to the stress, I have been summarily ordered to an ESA F2F on 12th October; and they want all sorts of info I simply don't have. Mr Wolf left a message on their answering service, but thus far, no response.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 1st Oct 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 55,884 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Sorry to hear they're putting you through it, Lamewolf.

Odd job builder chappie turned up early and finished everything off. Very happy with him, and everyone for the work they've done and very glad it's all over.

Dentist says there's nothing to worry about. Good-oh. Shopping done and put away. Just about to get the laundry in and put another load on to peg out later because the forecast says no rain tomorrow. Good, except that means I really should water the pear tree.

Shoes replaced; I like a particular pair of outdoor slip-on shoes and the soles on the pair I have are cracked, meaning I've been getting wet feet when the ground's wet for about 10 months. It hasn't really mattered over the summer but the shoes haven't been available which was a bit disconcerting. They were today - hurrah!
    Keeping it AF
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 1st Oct 18, 4:41 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 40,984 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Sorry you're struggling Lamewolf xx

Glad you've got new shoes Honey Bear!!

Done all on the list apart from shower room which I'll do when bathrooms come around. After dinner going to do the ironing too. Also done paid stuff and ridden so good day all in all.
    Flymarkeeteer: 168 and counting
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 1st Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 128,594 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Work done
    Dinner done
    Kitchen sorted
    Sat down now and that is it for tonight!
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 1st Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 24,682 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Fairly social today, went for walk with Mr N and bil rather than gym; woke up after a night of sore throat feeling decidedly snuffly and resorted to hot lemon for breakfast instead of tea. Why do I always end up with a cold after a flight?
    Went through uni emails, culling loads but made note that staff flu jabs are bookable from tomorrow.
    Got most of paperwork ready for assessments later this week.
    Rang advisor at uni about a student; agreed to take her on as 1:1 so contacted her to arrange it.
    Started dinner early as some preparation needed. Had to modify at last minute having sadly established that mascarpone cheese is not a good substitute for ricotta when making gnocchi (it was all the coop had). Mr N, mil and bil seemed to like it anyway, also the lemon sorbet I'd slaved over.
    Seems endless wudupa as dw still in garage. Kitchen floor appears to be drying and it was certainly a challenge cooking with wm still in the middle of the room.
    Basics done in bedroom.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 2nd Oct 18, 4:17 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Hello

Can I please join in?

I used to be a regular on this thread a very long time ago but moved onto doing things once a week so it wasn't as relevant (and took an mse break for a while)

I'm now working full time and currently more than that so need to find something that encourages me to chip away at everything on a daily basis cause I don't really have a 'day' to get it all done on anymore.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 2nd Oct 18, 5:45 AM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 38,941 Thanks
    ionafan
    Welcome back FrankieM

Narc0, I always get a cold after flying too - something to do with the air being recycled, I expect.

Rosie is going into kennels for 48 hours from tomorrow morning so that she doesn't have to put up with a long day of driving on Thursday, but it also means that tomorrow I can hopefully finish the painting that I started in April (new door and touching up bits around the house). That in turn means that I only have a few hours today for a major blitz on paperwork and tidying the study. So I must grab my 2nd cuppa of the morning and knuckle down to it.

I also need to
    - ferry DH to SW, avoiding major road closures caused by long overdue resurfacing work which make driving in any direction from here difficult
    - sort out what we are getting DDiL1 for her birthday on Thursday
    - email DS2 about possibly visiting them on Saturday
    - send another email to the person who draws up the church rotas to block some dates
    - ring my Greek friend to see if she wants to come round for tea today
    - ring the surgery about getting our flu jabs
    - and of course take Rosie for a walk
    Plenty to keep me out of mischief, then!

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks to all in need xxx
    Last edited by ionafan; 02-10-2018 at 5:47 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

3,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin