Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    • 869Posts
    • 5,749Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2018
    • 30th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2018 30th Sep 18 at 10:36 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to er, me, sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
    October 2017
    November 2017
    December 2017
    January 2018
    February 2018
    March 2018
    April 2018
    May 2018
    June 2018
    July 2018
    August 2018
    September 2018
Page 4
    • asajj
    • By asajj 9th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 11,871 Thanks
    asajj
    Have a great holiday VALM

2 UUs - Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser for Dry/Sensitive Skin. I was supposed to buy the one for Combination skin but this worked too. Very pleasant to use. I'd say more suitable for summer time. WMBA.

Elvive Hair Conditioner - just bought another one to replace this. I noticed I have a lot of bottles of shampoos so made a mental note of not to buy anymore..
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • London baby
    • By London baby 9th Oct 18, 10:50 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    London baby
    UU:

Rosehip oil, HG

Ins:

Rosehip oil to replace UU

2 x Dove exfoliating body scrubs ; 1 Pomegranate seeds; 1 Macademia rice challenge

Setting myself a no-buy challenge for the rest of the year to reduce stash.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 9th Oct 18, 10:54 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU tonight:

The Chemistry Brand Extreme Hydration Complex 100ml WNBA. Didn't really hydrate my hands, used it up on my feet, mostly. Slightly drying, actually. Glad that's all my Deciem products used up. I can't support that company at all.
    • captainhoarder
    • By captainhoarder 9th Oct 18, 10:56 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    captainhoarder
    1 UU

Superdrug Vitamin C Detox Skincare Nourishing Geo Moisturiser - WMBA we the smell is very strong!

Stash total is 143
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 9th Oct 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 8,128 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    One UU today:

Burts bees honey lip balm. WBA. On to the vanilla one from the stash next
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2018 - 73/162 UU, 42 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2018 No.180 £810/£2000
    1% challenge No.15 - 18% £2 savers No.12 - £100 5p Savers No.3 - £4.75
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.12 - £150/£150 1p a day Challenge £617.26/£667.95
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 10th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU this morning:

Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo + Conditioner sample WMB as a full size. This is nice and it has a nice scent. I don't see any hair thickening though, but I know it won't live up to them claims.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 38,139 Thanks
    dolly84
    uu

Avon Instant Repair 7 Conditioner 250ml - this made my hair feel nice.

Ren Vita Mineral Day Cream 50ml - this was nice in summer but not moisturising enough now the weather is a bit colder particularly if I use my Max Factor foundation over the top because that one sets and my skin can feel a bit tight. WNBA mainly because of the amount of unrecyclable packaging left.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Oct 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 38,139 Thanks
    dolly84

Burts Bees Almond Milk Hand Cream
    Philip Kinsley Elasticizer 1L
    Philosophy Sunshine Grace EDP 60ml
    Ren Vita Mineral Day Cream
    L'oreal Ever Riche Shampoo 250ml
    Avon Instant Repair 7 Conditioner
    Avon Instant Repair 7 Deep Conditioning Mask
    Clinique Moisture Surge 15ml
    Ren Rose Hot Cloth Cleanser

Finish 7 by Christmas

1. Max Factor All Day Flawless Foundation
    2. Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon in Plum Russian
    3. Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer
    4. Laura Mercier Brown Eyeliner
    5. Soap & Glory Cheekmate
    6. Revlon Photo Finish Powder (dropped and shattered but was almost done anyway).
    7. Soap & Glory Archery Brow Pencil

Originally posted by dolly84

My updated lists.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 10th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    WJN222
    HI all, small update

yUU: Sample of dermalogica pre cleanse - WMBA reallt liked it, smelled nice, took off makeup and rinsed off well but it is V expensive!

Oct UU: 3 IN: 0
    walk 2018 miles in 2018 - 781 of 2018
    Save £5 for every PR: 10 of 35
    • Tolteca87
    • By Tolteca87 10th Oct 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    Tolteca87
    I fell for the Superdrug vitamin E offer with two charcoal masks and a 99p one to qualify. I do have the Lush moistouriser induced breakout to sort out though and hopefully the charcoal masks will help a bit.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 10th Oct 18, 9:01 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I went shopping today... And I've done some damage.... Some INs to declare:

Primark x Alex Steinherr Micellar Cleansing Gel 400ml
    Primark x Alex Steinherr Maximum Moisture Supreme Sheet Mask
    Primark x Alex Steinherr Pore Balance Blemish Rescue Stickers
    Primark x Alex Steinherr Facial in a Stick 6.4g
    Primark x Alex Steinherr Maximum Moisture Moisture-Locking Everyday Moisturiser 75ml
    The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter 90ml
    Lush Handy Gurugu 100g
    Lush Lemony Flutter 50g
    Lush Sleepy Body Lotion 95g
    Lush Lord of Misrule Bath Bomb
    Lush Monster’s Ball Bath Bomb
    Lush Sparkly Pumpkin Bubble Bar

Oops. I've been bad. I'm going to hopefully finish quite a few items this month, so hopefully the damage won't be too bad.
    • fixx
    • By fixx 11th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 6,193 Thanks
    fixx
    Work has been crazy, but I’ve worked out a PP list and items for the xmas challenge to try and keep focussed.

PP:
    - Conditioner - a bottle that has been made up with the remains for 4 others
    - Aldi Lacura night eye cream
    - Lacura face serum
    - Elemis Frangipani Monoi body oil
    - Murad eye mask sample size
    - Lancome Hydrazen day cream
    - Colour Wow dream coat spray – mini size

7 by xmas:
    - Large bottle of John Frieda Sheer Blonde shampoo
    - Garnier summer body lotion
    - Clinique foaming face wash
    - Clinique Beyond Perfecting foundation
    - Origins eye cream
    - Elemis cleansing cream
    - Any 2 face masks (slightly cheating here, but I always have a few on the go at once, and really need to finish some!)

A couple of UUs to report:
    - Elvive dream lengths shampoo – WNBA. It’s fine, but not any better than Sheer Blonde shampoos which I have plenty of in the cupboard, and after that I want to move to solid shampoo
    - Clinique Pep-Start™ HydroBlur Moisturizer – I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Sank in well, had a lovely slightly mousse texture, kept my skin nicely balanced, and had a really nice matte finish. I have another mini to use, but would look seriously at buying this…

And 2 ins:
    - Clinique Beyond Perfecting foundation – as I’ll need to rebuy in a month or two, so got it with the (very rare!) £10 discount at John Lewis
    - Elemis frangipani monoi body balm – from QVSell group. I looooove this, but won’t pay full price, so grabbed it when someone was selling one
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 11th Oct 18, 10:10 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Two UUs this evening:

Primark x Alex Steinherr Maximum Moisture Supreme Sheet Mask WNBA. This was odd, I couldn't stand the feel of this material on my face. Very odd.

The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter 90ml WDBA and have. This is my HG first cleanser. A good product at a decent price
    • amfowler
    • By amfowler 12th Oct 18, 2:03 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    amfowler
    Hello everyone, I'd like to officially join in this month please. Here is my stash list... I'm not including shampoo or conditioner as both my husband and I use them and I'm not tempted to add to my stash of those. So... here we go!!!

Body lotions: (9) 😳
    Bath and body works Velvet sugar
    Bath and body works Sweet summer kiss
    Bath and body works Cashmere glow
    Bath and body works Winter candy apple
    Bath and body works White tea & ginger
    Bath and body works Vanilla bean noel
    Bath and body works At the beach
    Bath and body works warm vanilla sugar (travel size)

Body cream: (2)
    Bath and body works wild rose & apple
    Bath and body works amber blush

Body wash: (5)
    Bath and body works At the beach
    Bath and body works Wild rose & apple
    Dove Baby wash
    Aveeno skin relief x2

Body sprays: (9) 😳
    Bath and body works champagne apple & honey
    Bath and body works wild rose & apple x2
    Bath and body works be enchanted
    Bath and body works at the beach
    Bath and body works boardwalk summer marshmallow (travel size)
    Victoria's secret love spell
    Victoria's secret passion struck
    Victoria's secret pure seduction lace

Lip/miscellaneous:
    Burts bees vanilla bean lip balm
    O'keefes lip repair unscented
    Random lip balm from dentist office, berry sangria scent
    Aquafor healing ointment (travel size)
    Cvs brand of aquafor (Can't remember where it is but I know its here...)

My PP for the month of October:
    Bath and body works vanilla bean noel lotion
    Burts bees vanilla bean lip balm
    Dove baby body wash
    Bath and body works boardwalk summer marshmallow (travel size) body spray

Trying to use everything up while not flaring the sensitive skin!!
    • fixx
    • By fixx 12th Oct 18, 10:57 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 6,193 Thanks
    fixx
    Oooh, a few things off the PP list last night and this morning! The others will be harder...
    - L'Oreal Elvive dream lengths conditioner, plus the contents of 2 air dye conditioner tubes, and the ends of a travel bottle thrown in :P. The dream lenghts conditioner was fine, but not as good as my HG.
    - Lacura face serum. WNBA - ok, good value, but I think it's made my skin a bit drier and tighter. Def not a HG.
    - Colour Wow dream coat (small 50ml bottle). WMB - I like this! It sprays and coats hair well, and my hair really does seem to stay smoother and shinier in all conditions. (I've another mini bottle in stash too )

PP:
    - Conditioner - a bottle that has been made up with the remains of 4 others
    - Aldi Lacura night eye cream
    - Lacura face serum
    - Elemis Frangipani Monoi body oil
    - Murad eye mask sample size
    - Lancome Hydrazen day cream
    - Colour Wow dream coat spray – mini size
    Originally posted by fixx
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 34,285 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I visited a town with a Superdrug so had a little splurge, plus a treatment for my itchy scalp.
    IN
    100ml Superdrug Vitamin E Gentle Eye Make Up remover 1/37
    50ml Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum 2/38
    60 Superdrug Naturally Radiant Glycolic Cleansing Pads 3/39
    50ml Hask Kalahari Melon Oil for colour treated hair 4/40
    150ml Aveda Pramasana Scalp Cleanser 5/41

UU
    100ml May Lindstrom Facial Mist £63 1/86
    100ml LRP Cicaplast Baume B5 2/87
    4ml Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch 3/88
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 12th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU tonight:

Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid sample WB as a full size. This was nice. Not as drying as the Paula's Choice one I have that can sometimes dry me out.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 13th Oct 18, 12:24 AM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 11,871 Thanks
    asajj
    1 UU - Estee Lauder The Illuminator Primer. I loved this and it lasted long. Not bad value for the price. Gives a nice glow, keeps my double wear light in place. WMBA.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • mad_scientist
    • By mad_scientist 13th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 4,588 Thanks
    mad_scientist
    Hello all, not kept up with the thread for a few months but been keeping track of my UU!

Few ins first
    3x molton brown mini bottles I took from my parent's house for travelling, only 30ml so perfect size!
    BS banana conditioner, not desperate for a new conditioner but I remembered this being very moisturising
    BS face mask sample freeby when I bought the conditioner

UU
    2x MB mini shower gels, these are good and the fragrance lasts but I don't think I can justify the price for some bubbles to wash down the plughole, also I have about 20 SG under my bathroom sink
    Nivea satin radiance body lotion, I think this was the oldest toiletry in my stash, probably about 12 years old Thankfully Nivea pumped it full of preservatives and it hadn't gone off despite being open for a decade
    Benefit Dandelion blush - I UU a full sized blush!!! Possibly for the first time ever
    Clinique turnaround cream sample
    BS raspberry SG 250ml
    M&S Verbena body spray, lovely and citrusy for summer
    Benefit benetint mini
    Lush honey I washed the kids soap sample
    Conditioner, possibly L'Or!al, that I decanted into a smaller bottle when I moved last summer

Not too many unnecessary ins but I do need to go to SD to stock up on skincare so I may be tempted!
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries 2018
    31 UU / 13 unnecessary ins
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Two TAs this afternoon:

Soltan Protect & Moisturise Mini Spray SPF50+ 75ml
    Soltan Protect & Moisturise Lotion SPF50+ 200ml

I won't use them up before they go bad so I've had to TA. I feel bad but I'm not going to be able to use them on my body until like April/May when it gets warmer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,194Posts Today

7,719Users online

Martin's Twitter