Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spanishsunawaits
    • By Spanishsunawaits 27th Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Spanishsunawaits
    0 WOW
    Food and Drink in Liverpool - recommendations
    • 27th Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Food and Drink in Liverpool - recommendations 27th Sep 18 at 7:45 PM
    I am meeting my male cousin in Liverpool for the day, a Saturday. I am looking for somewhere to eat for lunch. He is a real ale fan, no bottled beer or wine. I am happy with wine. So looking for somewhere to eat, we like good food, no chains, although he is more traditional than me. But I am happy to go with what he enjoys, ale wise. Any recommendations for a good place in the city centre? We will both be coming into Lime Street station and Iíve checked thereís no home football on! Thanks.
Page 1
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 27th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 27th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 27th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    http://racquetclubhotel.co.uk/restaurant We like it here, no idea about the beer though!
    • greenface
    • By greenface 27th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    • 27th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 27th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    Enjoy . Liverpool city centre is small compared to other "big" cities in UK , Lime street a good place to start because you can drift a few ways . But for lunchtime this is what I would do on a Saturday . Real ale fan myself . head out to the front steps and cross the big rd towards Doctor Duncans in queens square . Good starter . Ship and mitre next at the top of dale street . under the flyover opposite on your left when you leave DDs . Walk down dale street towards the river . It has a fair few decent stop offs excelsior Thomas rigbys , saddle inn . all old style pubs . Lively if there if a 3 pm kick off on Saturday . You,re not too far from the end of dale street . it turns into water street and the corner of castle street . Depending on your taste in food there are plenty of places around there to eat lunch . Personally I would go to Mowgli street food https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/ on the corner of water street . Stunning food try the yogurt bombs . If that doesn't float your boat pleanty to choose from around there and then a short walk to touristy stuff like Mathew street , Pier head etc and a walk through the shops . enjoy Liverpool if you let us know what Saturday I may know more
    Last edited by greenface; 28-09-2018 at 7:23 AM.
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • Spanishsunawaits
    • By Spanishsunawaits 28th Sep 18, 10:11 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spanishsunawaits
    • 28th Sep 18, 10:11 AM
    • 28th Sep 18, 10:11 AM
    Thanks. That's a great help. We're going on 20 Oct. I'm hoping to be able to book somewhere to eat. We like good fish and chips, good homemade burgers, or steak. That sort of thing. I'll eat most things, he doesn't do thai, chinese, pizzas, chain restaurants etc. Very traditional really.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 28th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    No home games then , you might even get a bed for the night . burgers . all bar one is decent https://www.allbarone.co.uk/national-search/north-west/all-bar-one-Liverpool . festival on Mathew street is fairly new and friend say good https://www.festivalfoodanddrink.co.uk/ . Its on Mathew street so depends if that is what you want . (all beatles stuff but very touristy ) I rarely eat daytime in Liverpool centre there are plenty of inde caf! bars etc . all chained in Liverpool one and albert dock . maybe pub decent pub grub like the Monro might suit Duke street . good ale there too https://www.themonro.com/gastropub-menu
    • Spanishsunawaits
    • By Spanishsunawaits 28th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spanishsunawaits
    • 28th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    Thanks again. I love the sound of Monro. Menu looks exactly what I would be looking for. Much appreciated.
    • greenface
    • By greenface 23rd Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    • 23rd Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 23rd Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    did you have a decent break ?
    • Spanishsunawaits
    • By Spanishsunawaits 3rd Nov 18, 8:55 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spanishsunawaits
    • 3rd Nov 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3rd Nov 18, 8:55 PM
    Hi green face - thanks for asking. We had a great day, but interesting but good. Only downer was Northern Rail announced another strike a few days before which delayed my train into Liverpool but it didnít spoil the day. It just meant that time-wise we had to compromise a bit.

We went to a little pub called Coopers that my cousin wanted to go to. Very strange, but interesting. After that we went to Monroís where I had booked a table. Lovely restaurant. Great food, cousin loved the ale. Definitely will go again. Thoroughly recommend it.

We then went to another pub up near the Philharmonic but canít remember the name.

Then back to station for train home. It was a really good day, and will be going back again Jan/Feb time.

So thank you for the recommendations and hope to do the other pubs next time, rail strikes permitting!
    • greenface
    • By greenface 4th Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    • 4th Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4th Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    Glad you enjoyed your self . the philamonic pub is worth a visit (its where paul McCartney played recently with james cordon )even got grade 2 listed toilets . you may have gone to the blind school up there . Coopers is neither good ale/food or comfy seats but one h3ll of a place to get to know Liverpool and its characters . If anyone feels to youtube "little coopers Liverpool" you'll know what I mean .
    • Spanishsunawaits
    • By Spanishsunawaits 7th Nov 18, 7:36 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spanishsunawaits
    I know exactly what you mean about Coopers! It was a pub my cousin used to go in many, many years ago when he worked in Liverpool. We only went for his memories and literally had one drink. You know itís classy when he asks the barman for a large Merlot. ďThatíll be the red then?Ē - as he then hands over a little bottle!
    • greenface
    • By greenface 7th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    If you want ice go to subway ,
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 8th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    prenton01
    . you may have gone to the blind school up there . .
    Originally posted by greenface
    Blind school closed about 3 months ago
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • greenface
    • By greenface 9th Nov 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    greenface
    Blind school closed about 3 months ago
    Originally posted by prenton01
    really . decent boozer with good food . not been that way for about a year . I drive through that way a few times a month and always seems decent area although lots of students around teatime . I like to go and watch the match or enjoy some live music and have a decent meal when we can . (I'm from the dark side like you - Wallasey) hope st is often beyond our route for an evening out .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

3,069Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin