Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 07, 2:00 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Great Cheap Road Safety Gear Hunt
    • 17th Oct 07, 2:00 PM
    Great Cheap Road Safety Gear Hunt 17th Oct 07 at 2:00 PM
    6 November 2007

What's it all about?

Now winter's coming parents are understandably more concerned about their kids' road safety. Plus many people cycling to work and back need to ensure they're visible to motorists.

There are many sources of effective but cheap road safety gear so I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of knowledge to gather together a list of places both online and on the high street where it can be found for less. Or ideas for making your own and tips for keeping kids safe.

What to do

Click reply to let other MoneySavers know where to get good road safety gear for less.

PS. The first road safety deal below was originally spotted by MoneySaver irocan below. Thanks for the top spot! I liked the idea so much I decided to turn it into a Great Hunt and this post has been inserted to provide a more detailed explanation for MoneySavers coming from the weekly e-mail.

Thanks

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-11-2007 at 7:48 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • irocan
    • 4th Nov 07, 5:26 PM
    Great Cheap Road Safety Gear Hunt
    • 4th Nov 07, 5:26 PM
    3M has a special offer on their high-visibility and reflective gear. Selected products are 50% off as part of their Be Seen On the Road campaign. http://www.3mselect.co.uk/c-255-be-seen-on-the-road.aspx

I got 3 items for £13 including the (£3.95 shipping charge)- I saw just one of them in a cycle shop for £12. Bargain!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 13-11-2007 at 7:13 PM.
    Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
    • lofielectronic
    • By lofielectronic 5th Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    lofielectronic
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    Just to add to this, I've also seen the thin reflective vests for sale in Poundland, how much you ask?...
  • 008ken
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:57 AM
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:57 AM
    Just to add to this, I've also seen the thin reflective vests for sale in Poundland, how much you ask?...
    Originally posted by lofielectronic
    Give us a clue then.:rolleyes:
    • madmoys
    • By madmoys 5th Nov 07, 8:59 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    madmoys
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:59 AM
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:59 AM
    plus you can get 5% by going through Quidco
  • NDB
    • 7th Nov 07, 3:21 AM
    • 7th Nov 07, 3:21 AM
    http://www.hivis.net/ Seems pretty cheap for the high vis gear.
  • ailuro2
    • 7th Nov 07, 7:06 AM
    • 7th Nov 07, 7:06 AM
    Agreed - Poundland have Adult size yellow high viz vests, and kids orange high viz vests- we have two, the quality is fine - and for just a pound you can buy an extra one for the car boot aswell- stick it in with the spare wheel in case you have a puncture and need to be safe and seen.

Putting one of the vests over your rucksack is also a good way to be seen- it's a lot cheaper than any reflective backpack I've ever found, and is transferable too.

If you're handy with a sewing machine I bet you could make a reflective dog coat out of one too!!

p.s. most reflective gear can be washed up to 15 times before it loses effectiveness, so don't shell out too much- you need something that's easy and cheap to replace.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 13-11-2007 at 7:15 PM.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Ems*Honie
    • 7th Nov 07, 7:29 AM
    • 7th Nov 07, 7:29 AM
    Texaco garages are giving free road safety dvds out to children. Thet feature a little boy called Hector and his friends, 5 'cartoons/lessons' of about 5 minutes each. My little girl is 4 and found it a little spooky but my 6 yr old liked it. We were also given a high reflective sticker I don't know if they are free with purchase, or just free, there is a sign outside one of the stations nr me that says to come in and ask for one.

http://www.chime.plc.uk/news-and-media/press-release-detail/420.aspx
    Last edited by Ems*Honie; 07-11-2007 at 8:11 AM.
    • WeirdoMagnet
    • By WeirdoMagnet 7th Nov 07, 9:54 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 2,966 Thanks
    WeirdoMagnet
    • 7th Nov 07, 9:54 AM
    • 7th Nov 07, 9:54 AM
    Ikea have got a new safety range, exclusive to their IKEA Family members - it's free to join up and is just a loyalty card type thing, but added benefits are weekly special offers, discounts in the restaurant and free tea and coffee.

Their website says:
    Protect your home and the people that live in it – at home and at play

The IKEA FAMILY safety range features a variety of products that will help keep you, your family and your home safe. We have smoke alarms, assault alarms, first aid kits and much more. And to make sure you’re seen wherever you go we also introduce a whole range of reflective products.

I think a high-viz vest is about £2.99.
  • egt
    egt
    For the children you can get all these high visibility garments from companies that sell school uniforms, they are often very cheap. I have seen children wearing the armband snappers, which they seem to love, vests and bags.

Try these guys, Price & Buckland, www.price-buckland.co.uk You can't order through the website but when you call (0800 85 43 61) you can get the armbands for only £2 - They're great for the kids.
  • heavenly_chic
    Hi!

I'm a road safety officer and have boxes and boxes of the stuff going for free so contact your locla council and ask if they have any stuff you can have.

On certain flowers at morrisons they are currently giving away free kids high vis jackets

free high vis stickers (as well as othe road safety stuff) from http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/catalogue/ctrs.htm

Hope to help!

Katie

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 13-11-2007 at 7:18 PM.
    Titch
  • ilikepoints
    Loads of really cheap cycle stuff in Sainsburys.

half price led rear lights, inner tubes etc.

Best deal by far though is the cycle helmets - adult and kids ones £1.99 each!!!

Found the same adult cycle helmet in a different box for £13 elsewhere in the store. It is quite decent really with the extra support at the rear to ensure it fits better. It also has an dial to adjust the size with and a visor.
  • ailuro2
    http://www.hedgehogs.gov.uk/main/main.html

the website featuring the cute wee hedgehogs from the governments crossing safely ads- try to find all the hedgehogs in the site, enter competition etc, my DD is 9 and still likes it!
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
    • Charis
    • By Charis 7th Nov 07, 6:19 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 13,604 Thanks
    Charis
    If your kids won't wear reflective gear because it's not cool, :rolleyes: then anything white or reflective might make the difference to a driver's ability to see them and brake in time, even a white strip around their trainers.

Some parents are oblivious to how their children use the roads. Recently I narrowly missed a kid dressed totally in dark clothing, without lights, cycling on the wrong side of the road towards me. I still don't know how I ever saw him in time. (We live in the sticks so not many street lights either and he was only visible within the beam of my headlights)
  • callmybill
    Free Snapband offer for 6000 people chosen at random, snapbands are reflective plastic bands that curl around objects like arms etc.
    Taken from the Daily Mirror website.

http://www.3m.com/intl/uk/3mstreetwiseuk/snapband_landing.htm?WT.mc_id=www.3mstreetwise.co. uk/mirror

Money saving is now a way of life
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 7th Nov 07, 8:49 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    Contact your local council road safety unit they're really helpful!
    if you're in Wigan (like me) the number is 01942 488 250 they also give baby/child seat advice and can rent them out.
    Does anyone know if the good old Cycling Proficiency Test still exists? :confused:
    • Sagaris
    • By Sagaris 7th Nov 07, 10:57 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 4,808 Thanks
    Sagaris
    Contact your local council road safety unit they're really helpful!
    if you're in Wigan (like me) the number is 01942 488 250 they also give baby/child seat advice and can rent them out.
    Does anyone know if the good old Cycling Proficiency Test still exists? :confused:
    Originally posted by Sami_Bee
    Cycling Proficiency sort of exists - but it seems to be phasing out, to be replaced by a new scheme called Bikeability - with the aim of doing basic (Level 1) training on the playground, then Level 2 on road.
    I used to run cycling proficiency courses on the playground, but other companies are doing the on road training now - don't think I'd like to take a group of 11 year olds out on the roads near me!
    Back on topic - our local Poundland has lots of stuff in at the moment - Sam Brown belts, armbands, reflective vests - well worth a look.
    Almost 2 stones gone!
    RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10
    I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy!
    • BoingBoing
    • By BoingBoing 7th Nov 07, 11:53 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BoingBoing
    Definately check out Poundland, I got some silver reflective bands earlier in the year. My kids usually come home with either an arm band or reflective Zip pull from Nationwide this time of year which are handed out at school. Also be on the look out all the way through the year at events you go to, our local music festival uses them as entrance tickets, and a bike day in the local park saw the council stand giving them away

Get into the habit of keeping a few spare bands with you, just in case the kids bring friends home for tea. That way you'll all be easily spotted, and dont forget to WEAR THEM YOURSELF TOO! It may not be "cool" but remember to lead by example
    • isualive
    • By isualive 8th Nov 07, 8:07 AM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    isualive
    I agree, picked some up yesterday in Poundland! Really good quality!
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
    • bethom
    • By bethom 8th Nov 07, 9:45 AM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    bethom
    I bought 2 of the reflective childrens vests from tesco the other day, priced as £1.50 each, but went through at 75p each. I don't know if it was an offer as there were no signs up, so hopefully that will help someone if they still go through at that price
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok as everyone knows me here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter