Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    • 15,747Posts
    • 14,803Thanks
    sourcrates
    DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!
    • 18th Sep 18, 10:40 PM
    DMP mutual support thread part 13 !! 18th Sep 18 at 10:40 PM
    Welcome to the DMP mutual support thread Part 13 !!

Here you can find help in starting and running your DMP, self managed, Stepchange, Payplan and any other DMP all welcome here, but we do encourage you to use a free service, not one you pay for.

There is help on getting interest and charges stopped, how to start with an emergency fund, defaults, token payments and lots more.

If you are in a DMP or thinking of one, this is the place to be.

We are non judgmental and all DMP related questions are welcome.

Again the old thread was getting a tad long, so time, yet again, for a new one.

The old thread can be found here :

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5623951
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Page 26
    • caracbx
    • By caracbx 9th Nov 18, 9:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    caracbx
    Evening all.

New to the DMP world, been chasing my tail the two years (lost jobs, been unemployed, and had to work my way back up the ladder again). Finalised all the details this week with PayPlan, so far so happy with them, just kicking myself I didn't do it sooner when I first lost a job about two years ago.

Just starting to contact my creditors, and I almost had a heart attack making the first call, but they were lovely, interest has been frozen for 60 days, which is a massive relief. The rest are on tomorrows list to conquer. Took about 2 hours to ring the first one. Might start getting some sleep now.

Anyone have any hits / tips to save money in the less obvious ways?

TIA!
    Too Much Month At The End Of The Money
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Nov 18, 10:55 PM
    • 15,747 Posts
    • 14,803 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Evening all.

New to the DMP world, been chasing my tail the two years (lost jobs, been unemployed, and had to work my way back up the ladder again). Finalised all the details this week with PayPlan, so far so happy with them, just kicking myself I didn't do it sooner when I first lost a job about two years ago.

Just starting to contact my creditors, and I almost had a heart attack making the first call, but they were lovely, interest has been frozen for 60 days, which is a massive relief. The rest are on tomorrows list to conquer. Took about 2 hours to ring the first one. Might start getting some sleep now.

Anyone have any hits / tips to save money in the less obvious ways?

TIA!
    Originally posted by caracbx
    Hi,

Just write letters, much easier, and less stressful for you.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• yoyo33
    • By yoyo33 10th Nov 18, 12:10 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yoyo33
    Hi all.
    Today I sent off payment plan offer letters along with the budget sheet using the templates on nedcab website.
    Added some info about why petrol was high etc and briefly explained my change in circumstances.
    Added a bit about only contacting me in writing or email. So hopefully they stick to that
    I had until the end of November to contact them all again so hopefully will be looked into before the end of Nov.
    I only realised once they had been posted that I previously gave them a stepchange ref number. But on the letter sent today it was the one from nedcab but I forgot to say the ref changed. Does that matter??
    And What sort of timescale do creditors get back to you about the payment offers I made?
    Also just want to thank everyone that gave me advice to get to this stage.
    I'm sure I'll probably ask more questions at some point haha.
    But this forum has given me the confidence to try to self manage our debt.
    Thankyou all
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 10th Nov 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 16,451 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    DMP started in June with STEPCHANGE, First Direct have defaulted, BUT paid off the credit card from my current account, (bank with Halifax now) so instead of a 500 overdraft, it is now 3850, can they do this? Barclaycard (8700)and Tesco (2400) both defaulted. Creation (4600), have not, and by speaking to them, will not default, which means AP markers for 6yrs AFTER my DMP finishes 4yrs time. i thought by breaking the credit greement, a default would be forthcoming, but obviously not. Is there any way to get CREATION to default?
    Originally posted by wanttobethrifty
    Hi,
    5 years in and despite creation selling my debt and complaints to fos and ico, they still won't default.....
    Puzz
    Christmas 2018 550 cash/94 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 55% done
    60062/27044.24 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - 580.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 15,747 Posts
    • 14,803 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi,
    5 years in and despite creation selling my debt and complaints to fos and ico, they still won't default.....
    Puzz
    Originally posted by Puzzcat

Hi Puzz,

Hope your well, creation still a total pain i see, at least the sun is shining !!

• Lmrcpr
    • By Lmrcpr 11th Nov 18, 11:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lmrcpr
    Hi, I am just starting my dmp. I am going through step change as I am feeling very scared and shaken about facing up to my debts. I am about to send holding letter, but am not sure which addresses to use, do I just such uk postal address for each company? Should I mark them to a certain department? Thanks.
    • Moveslikeagger
    • By Moveslikeagger 11th Nov 18, 11:23 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Moveslikeagger
    Hi,

I just sent my holding letters and used the standard addresses on creditor websites. Regarding being scared of facing up to your debts. I think there is nothing to be scared about. In fact its more scary if your not facing up to them as the debts increase and our out of control. Now we are doing something about them, they will go down and hopefully life will be a lot less stressful!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Nov 18, 12:04 PM
    • 15,747 Posts
    • 14,803 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi, I am just starting my dmp. I am going through step change as I am feeling very scared and shaken about facing up to my debts. I am about to send holding letter, but am not sure which addresses to use, do I just such uk postal address for each company? Should I mark them to a certain department? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Lmrcpr

Hi,

General customer service address is fine, they will find there way to the right dept.

Starting a DMP should not be a bad experience, or a scary one, you are dealing with your debt in the right way, its just a process you go through, nothing more, nothing less, most of us borrow money and at some point in out lives we all live in the credit bubble, when that bubble bursts, we have to deal with the fallout, and that`s what your doing.

Creditors see things in exactly the same way, its not personal, its business.

• Changingtimes
    • By Changingtimes 11th Nov 18, 4:06 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Changingtimes
    Thought I would post a quick update.
    All creditors contacted, some I heard back from and very nice about things, some not so nice, some agreed 30 days breathing space but while I am trying to do things quickly it's all taking time ( with doing a full time job 7am til 6) and homelife. I have 16 creditors and didn't realise I had so many until I wrote them all down (I am so angry at myself).
    All creditors were paid in OCTOBER, and new bank account set up for November salary.
    I know most of you guys set up an emergency fund - did you open a savings account for this ?
    My 30 days breathing space will run out 1st/2nd week December and I thought great timing right on top of Christmas.
    DMP papers not yet returned to SC as I am still getting all references and balances for them,
    Do you know if creditors would extend 30 day breathing space?
    Ideally, I want to start paying January, after a low key Christmas and perhaps 2 months of saving an emergency fund?
    Thanks in advance for your guidance

*** just worked out one high interest loan I had 3000, already paid over 5000 back and they still say I still owe over 3000. What an absolute idiot I have been. Never again will I get myself in this position again.
    Last edited by Changingtimes; 11-11-2018 at 4:28 PM.

DEBT FREE MISSION ☆☆DMP COMMENCING ☆☆
    SOON - CURRENT DEBT 22,000
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sylvester6
    • By Sylvester6 11th Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Sylvester6
    Evening all
    We had a letter from PRA stating they had accepted our self managed and said they would our payments to 1 for the next 6 months....then they phoned my hubby every day last week! He answered on Sat morning and the guy on the other end didn't know anything about the previous letter we'd been sent. However hubby put him straight and it was fine apart from him asking if we would be paying from our wages or savings!!!! Not sure if he was trying to trip us up but we definitely have no savings!

Anyway on Saturday we also received letters from Link on our 3 accounts with them stating that they would like to discuss our recent offer and would we ring them. I just wanted some advice as I am not sure what to do next. Do we email, write to them or ring them. I'm not adverse to speaking to creditors but I don't want to get into detail over the phone. Please can someone advise.
    I have so much going on at the moment personally with work and being a carer for my father who has dementia that I haven't got the headspace to be anxious about it but it is on my mind!!! Thank you x
    • January2015
    • By January2015 11th Nov 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    January2015
    Evening all
    We had a letter from PRA stating they had accepted our self managed and said they would our payments to 1 for the next 6 months....then they phoned my hubby every day last week! He answered on Sat morning and the guy on the other end didn't know anything about the previous letter we'd been sent. However hubby put him straight and it was fine apart from him asking if we would be paying from our wages or savings!!!! Not sure if he was trying to trip us up but we definitely have no savings!

Anyway on Saturday we also received letters from Link on our 3 accounts with them stating that they would like to discuss our recent offer and would we ring them. I just wanted some advice as I am not sure what to do next. Do we email, write to them or ring them. I'm not adverse to speaking to creditors but I don't want to get into detail over the phone. Please can someone advise.
    I have so much going on at the moment personally with work and being a carer for my father who has dementia that I haven't got the headspace to be anxious about it but it is on my mind!!! Thank you x
    Originally posted by Sylvester6
    Just write to them all and state that all communication regarding the account{s} must be in writing and that you do not give them permission to contact you by phone. If you are okay with them contacting you by email I suggest you set up an email address just for use with your debts. You can write and advise you are happy to receive communication via email, give the email address and confirm it is a private email address and only you have access to it.
    Also advise them you will always respond promptly to any communication.

They have to honour this request and should only contact you by phone again if you fail to respond to their communications.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was 95k I'm driving it down
    1k emergency fund (member #84) 1k/1k
    • Sylvester6
    • By Sylvester6 11th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Sylvester6
    Thanks January, I think I will set up an email address and correspond that way. I'm a bit too impatient to wait for letters as I want to know what's going on so email would be better. Thanks again x
    • Lmrcpr
    • By Lmrcpr 12th Nov 18, 8:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lmrcpr
    I'm trying to sort out an emergency fund, do most of you just have it in your normal bank account?
    • Moveslikeagger
    • By Moveslikeagger 12th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Moveslikeagger
    I have put it in the new current account I have opened. I cheekily withdraw some money on my credit cards too just to build it up a bit more before sending my letters!
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 12th Nov 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 16,451 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hi Puzz,

Hope your well, creation still a total pain i see, at least the sun is shining !!
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Hi Sourcrates,

Still plodding along with my dmp... Had a bit of luck with a couple of UE CCA's but my debt total doesn't really change much month to month as I am shelling out large quantities of cash with my daughter at Uni... currently studying in the USA...!! Not cheap....! I have had my first f & f offer but I'm not really in the position at the moment to take it up.. maybe in 2020....

All my creditors have been fab and although Creation/DCA won't default all my others will fall off my credit report over the next few years so I don't really worry about them now.. although I would like to get rid of them first with a f & f, when I've stopped buying Trump Towers...!

Hope all good with you.
    Puzz. x
    Christmas 2018 550 cash/94 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 55% done
    60062/27044.24 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - 580.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 12th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 29,874 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You may recall that I posted my F&F offers recently. Result, of sorts, in that I've received 3 letters today in response

2 ask me for updated I&Es before they can consider my offers. They've not dismissed them out of hand so maybe a good sign

Is this the usual practice? I've been on token 1 a month payments for well over a year so imagine that they'd need an updated view of what my financial situation is anyway by now.

The 3rd letter, from my biggest creditor, has asked me to phone and discuss my offer. Sounds reasonably promising, what does anyone else think? I'm not too happy dealing with creditors on the phone but if it speeds things up I'm willing to give it a go.
    Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 8097. Sub 9000 at long last.
    • January2015
    • By January2015 12th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    January2015
    You may recall that I posted my F&F offers recently. Result, of sorts, in that I've received 3 letters today in response

2 ask me for updated I&Es before they can consider my offers. They've not dismissed them out of hand so maybe a good sign

Is this the usual practice? I've been on token 1 a month payments for well over a year so imagine that they'd need an updated view of what my financial situation is anyway by now.

The 3rd letter, from my biggest creditor, has asked me to phone and discuss my offer. Sounds reasonably promising, what does anyone else think? I'm not too happy dealing with creditors on the phone but if it speeds things up I'm willing to give it a go.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC

I sent I&E with my F&Fs so they had everything - but yes, send the I&Es.

Regarding phoning them - they asked me to do that as well. I just responded that I was comfortable with talking on the phone and would rather deal with this matter via written communication. I gave them an email address and confirmed I was happy to receive communication by email and confirmed it was a priavate email address and only I had access to it. They communicate the rest of the F&F negotiations via email after that.

Settled another (as you know), but the rest I'm still negotiating
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was 95k I'm driving it down
    1k emergency fund (member #84) 1k/1k
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 12th Nov 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5,235 Posts
    • 29,874 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC

I sent I&E with my F&Fs so they had everything - but yes, send the I&Es.

Regarding phoning them - they asked me to do that as well. I just responded that I was comfortable with talking on the phone and would rather deal with this matter via written communication. I gave them an email address and confirmed I was happy to receive communication by email and confirmed it was a priavate email address and only I had access to it. They communicate the rest of the F&F negotiations via email after that.

Settled another (as you know), but the rest I'm still negotiating
    Originally posted by January2015
    Thank you

Will get the I&Es off tomorrow, once I've worked out how little money I have available to pay them with each month

Good idea about the email. I've never used it to communicate with creditors, although I use it for nearly all other communications in my life. I tend to rely on snailmail for creditors but everything takes so long. I think I might give it a go although I'm sorely tempted to use the phone in this case.
    Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 8097. Sub 9000 at long last.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Nov 18, 5:39 PM
    • 15,747 Posts
    • 14,803 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you

Will get the I&Es off tomorrow, once I've worked out how little money I have available to pay them with each month

Good idea about the email. I've never used it to communicate with creditors, although I use it for nearly all other communications in my life. I tend to rely on snailmail for creditors but everything takes so long. I think I might give it a go although I'm sorely tempted to use the phone in this case.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy

I`ve phoned up creditors before, in the past, to negotiate settlement deals, I like to have a little banter with them, strike up some rapport, of course this is only possible if the opposite number is in a chatty mood, I find the Indian ladies an gents more amenable to this, as it takes them away from there script, and slightly unnerves them, anything agreed must always be backed up in writing or by email, good luck.

• Changingtimes
    • By Changingtimes 12th Nov 18, 6:45 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Changingtimes
    All creditors contacted, some I heard back from and very nice about things, some not so nice, some agreed 30 days breathing space but while I am trying to do things quickly it's all taking time ( with doing a full time job 7am til 6) and homelife. I have 16 creditors and didn't realise I had so many until I wrote them all down (I am so angry at myself).
    All creditors were paid in OCTOBER, and new bank account set up for November salary.
    I know most of you guys set up an emergency fund - did you open a savings account for this ?
    My 30 days breathing space will run out 1st/2nd week December and I thought great timing right on top of Christmas.
    DMP papers not yet returned to SC as I am still getting all references and balances for them,
    Do you know if creditors would extend 30 day breathing space?
    Ideally, I want to start paying January, after a low key Christmas and perhaps 2 months of saving an emergency fund?
    Thanks in advance for your guidance

*** just worked out one high interest loan I had 3000, already paid over 5000 back and they still say I still owe over 3000. What an absolute idiot I have been. Never again will I get myself in this position again.

DEBT FREE MISSION ☆☆DMP COMMENCING ☆☆
    SOON - CURRENT DEBT 22,000
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,988Posts Today

7,076Users online

Martin's Twitter