Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 28th Jul 18, 11:09 PM
    • 1,551Posts
    • 11,302Thanks
    elsiepac
    October 2018 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jul 18, 11:09 PM
    October 2018 Grocery Challenge 28th Jul 18 at 11:09 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2018 !!!!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. Mr M is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a bread maker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obviously if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better health wise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 to #10 this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyone's totals, see post #3 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

elsiepac
    Last edited by elsiepac; 18-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 19 £0/£tbc
    Vegan 27-8-13
Page 9
    • medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 12th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    medsdemon
    NSD yesterday.

Decided to get my bits in for the weekend today. Spent £11.26 in aldees. Now need to work out what I’m cooking.

I think I’ll make an omelette of some kind with chips and salad one night, a sausage meatball pasta dish one night and and a chickpea curry and rice and poppadoms the other. I also have bits in for nacho’s.

I could make a spicy lentil soup in the SC for next week for OH’s lunches and maybe a couple of lentil shepherdless pies for his teas.

I’ll see !!

I’m now going down to visit my mum next week for a few days so OH will be buying and fending for himself and I’ll be doing the same. Not sure how this will work out spending wise. I might cook a couple of things for him to just pop in the oven and heat up and some lunches with what I have in else he’ll not use them up and they’ll probs get wasted.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
    • hedgesparrow
    • By hedgesparrow 12th Oct 18, 12:57 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    hedgesparrow
    Spent £9.67 in Lidl on a big block of cheese, coffee and a box of chocs for friends who are cooking us dinner on the weekend.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 7,640 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Hello everyone, sorry I haven't been posting much this month. The old 'pooter is dying a death and only working on an "as and when" basis i.e. when it feels like it. Can't complain as it's just over 10 years old and has given good service. I'm going to have to take the plunge and get a new one. Not an ideal time, as October and November are already very tight for me so the credit card may well get an airing.

Week 1 was very spendy, a total of £83.92 with shops in Morries (stuff I can't get nearer home), a large Sainsbugs online order to replenish cupboard stores, a small top-up shop in the Co-op and £8.60 in the market.

This week has been much more restrained with just £11.44 going out of the budget today at the market, leaving £44.64 for the next two weeks. Not as bad as it sounds, as meals are already planned for Week 3 and we're well stocked up, so Week 4 shouldn't be a problem either. I'll probably just buy milk and top up on F&V to come in on budget. The freezer and cupboards will definitely be my friends for the rest of the month.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Dec £58.90/110 and 10/28 NSDs (Jan-Nov £170.14 under budget)

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 35,559 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oooer, I seem to have spent £65 at this morning's market. I've added it to my signature, but will go off & check that because it seems rather a lot, although I did come back with a trolley-full which should last us virtually all week. Back when I've written it all out & double-checked...

ETA: no, it was actually £52. A bit better, but not much!
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 12-10-2018 at 5:20 PM.
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - £259.45/£550
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £239.56/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £403.63/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 12th Oct 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 12,288 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Since last post we have spent £18.15.

Alpro 4 pack yogurt, Alpro cherry yogurt, large cucumber, edamame beans, 2 bunches spring onions, 500g brussel sprouts, 1kg carrots, 300g mushrooms, 155g parsnips, cauliflower, 1.24kg bananas, 155g easy peelers, vegan mince, 2 pack vegan burgers, grape and peach squash, 2 bottles jerk sauce, deli ham, beef mince and 3 mini garlic breads.

The mince (£2.50 for 400g introductory offer, usually £3) and burgers (£2, pack weight 227g, again introductory offer usually £3) are the new 'the meatless farm co' ones. Vegan and gluten free. I was really surprised to see it so had to buy it .

Shepherdless pie mix and jacket potato for dinner tonight for me. Using the vegan mince so hope to say what it is like later or tomorrow.
    OH is having ham and cheese pasta again it seems.

£110.17/£200.
    £89.83 left.

Edit : meal was very filling, a bit more filling than the lentil and bean version, not surprising as it is 21.1g protien per 100g as sold and added some beans and quite a lot of vegetables. Also has 5.2g fiber per 100g so good there too. Had a good portion size and have 4 'takeaway containers' on the side cooling now so not bad going there for leftovers. I liked the texture it had and it went nicely into a meal I usually use green lentils in. Next time will remember to soak the lentils and use both though to help keep cost down.
    Last edited by Doom_and_Gloom; 14-10-2018 at 5:23 PM. Reason: Wrong total and wrong left
    29 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Oct 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 15,276 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Third grocery shop, spent £6.01. Got wraps, 2x coconut milk, coffee, carrots, salad cream, golden syrup & mushrooms. I am on £15.86 for October, which is £2.86 over on my £1 a day, but it should even out, as I only want tomatoes - possibly avocados.

Made a great recipe from Jack Monroe - salad bag pesto, basically blitz up your 'lurking' salad into a pesto instead of throwing it. I used pine nuts, nutritonal yeast and sundried tomatoes, as I always have this in stock. Tasted beautiful. Her new book, 'Cooking on a Bootstrap', is #1 bestseller on Amazon and has been reduced to £6 (including postage), for a short time. It was £15.99 excluding postage, so a bargain. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
    December Grocery Challenge - £50.96/£80
    Bulk Fund - Food £41.47
    Save 12k in 2018 #80 = £4,620
    • bellyflop
    • By bellyflop 12th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    bellyflop
    Third weekly shop of the month has been delivered. It came to £41.73 and included supplies that will make meals for next week plus some storecupboard items.
    Oct NSD 7/15
    Oct £2 per day £41.00/£62.00
    Oct Grocery Challenge £137.54/£250
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 13th Oct 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 35,559 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Aaaand £15 added back on, for a leg of lamb (3 meals for 2 plus a large Moroccan-style soup) and a bag of onions! I was beginning to panic, thinking I had 3 weekend shops left to do, to feed 4 adults on slightly over £100, but actually there are only 2; we've had 3 already, plus the big non-perishables shop. There's stuff in the freezer that must be used up, and the allotment's still producing beans, squashes & courgettes. It's do-able...
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - £259.45/£550

• JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th Oct 18, 9:54 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Evening all. I have some spending to report for yesterday and today.

€15.20 at Lidl yesterday for 2-for-1 detergent (9.99), 2x bacon, a small box of passata, shredded mozzarella, and a nicer quality mozzarella ball.

€8.28 for 2 huge mangoes, ginger, tangerines and pecans at a huge open air market in my city. I took a friend there because she'd never been to that one and I showed her around. It's like a giant souk with absolutely everything you could want. My friend and I split a set of 5 avocados for €1 but she didn't charge me the 40¢ for the two avocados I took.

€5.60 for pork and pork fat from one of the meat stalls at this same large market. I bought it to grind my own sausage. I miss American breakfast sausage and good Italian sausage.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €132.99 / €300.00
    4/12 NSDs

I'm feeling pretty good about the total so far. Tomorrow I'll get some canned pumpkin and a bit of milk to make the oat bars I posted earlier this week for @SaveDosh. My fridge feels like it's getting a bit full so I'm planning to make tomato sauce to use up the previously cooked ground beef, some old cherry tomatoes, and the remainder of the spinach, mushrooms and red pepper.

Later next week I'll head out to get some items at Lidl and grocery shop for the dinner I'm hosting on Saturday evening.
    Last edited by JingsMyBucket; 15-10-2018 at 6:41 PM.
    DEC 18 GC: €138.33/€350.00 // 7/12 NSD
    NOV 18 GC: €436.44/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    OCT 18 GC: €293.20/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Oct 18, 7:39 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,347 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Had a 'spendy' week last week so I've now spent £167.1/£200, so with 2 weeks to go looks like I might go over budget, although I'll try not too.

I think it's a combination of a really low spend last month, with me letting things really run down before we went away, so I've had to buy a lot this month, a birthday present being included in this total, and a stressful month at work resulting in spending on extra 'treats' at the supermarket (instead of spending even more money eating out so the lesser of 2 evils I guess )

I'll try and get my frugal mojo back!!
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    £1 a day: Nov £44.75/£45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Highland Fling
    • By Highland Fling 14th Oct 18, 9:56 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Highland Fling
    Good morning everyone
    was half way through a post and it disappeared
    Anyway haven't been back at shops since my grocery delivery on Monday (I think) but will have to go today to buy milk and bread.
    I will not take my purse to avoid the temptation of buying more than I need from the shop.
    I have half a quiche still to eat up so will be having that for Sunday dinner.
    If I prepare a more traditional Sunday meal I know the quiche will end up in the bin so I haven't taken any meat out of the freezer.
    Going out for lunch with a friend tomorrow and supper with friends on Tuesday. So only need to prepare a couple of snacks over the following few days. I am on holiday this week and I usually catch up with various friends visiting coffee shops and restaurants.
    We do, now, all pay for our own although I do still enjoy treating them occassionally.
    I will make some "bottom of the fridge" soup today in the soup maker. Just throw it all in and wish for the best. I really live life on the edge.
    Miserable weather yesterday and today so I am staying close to home.
    Have a peaceful Sunday everyone.
    • lauralou93
    • By lauralou93 14th Oct 18, 2:54 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    lauralou93
    Well this week spent £3.55 on children's own brand calpol and sweets , youngest had injections and flu nasal spray, and £ 3.48 on bread and cheaper toiletries from lidle, still doing OK this month.
    £145.77/160 October 2018 grocery challenge 5/10/18-2/11/18

( previous wins -oct: pair of grants whisky glasses,£100 john lewis vouchers, nov: wall clock worth £60)
    • lauralou93
    • By lauralou93 14th Oct 18, 3:43 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    lauralou93
    Just used the last of the glut of apples I was given in yet another crumble, ( still have a few crumbles in the freezer) still well stocked in cupboards, fridge and freezers 18 days till next months budget, not doing bad just need milk tomorrow.
    £145.77/160 October 2018 grocery challenge 5/10/18-2/11/18

( previous wins -oct: pair of grants whisky glasses,£100 john lewis vouchers, nov: wall clock worth £60)
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 14th Oct 18, 4:25 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,778 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    A £8.48 spend in Tesco. Mostly bread, eggs, bananas and yoghurts. Did also get a new jar of coffee, as I'm almost out. It was reduced, but coffee always seems to be "x amount off" in Tesco.
    Because it's fun to have money!

£78.85/£80 December Grocery Challenge
    £61.71/£70 November GC
    £47.19/£70 October GC
    £44.32/£70 September GC
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Oct 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 35,559 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    An accidental NSD here today; I had meant to run down to the market at lunchtime to pick up any bargainaceous fruit & veg going for a song as they packed up, but had a big sale on Ebay & that's when they were able to pick up. So we'll just have to make do with what's in the fruit bowl, the fridge & the allotment, which won't be too hard, if slightly less than exciting! It all helps me to stick to my budget...
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - £259.45/£550

• Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 14th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 12,288 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Since last post we have spent £13.16

3 packs of the meatless farm co mince, 800g strawberries, 1 large mango, mixed pepper stir fry mix, 2 large tins of sweetcorn and dry pasta.

I'm turning some of the spherdless pie mix into a kind of vegan chilli and having that with two aduki bean onigiri.
    OH is having sausage and cheese pasta.

£123.33/£200.
    £76.67 left.
    29 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 14th Oct 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 17,545 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Recent spends:

6/10 £2.00 on choc from B and M as DD1 staying over with GD
    6/10 £6.52 top-up of soya milk, and fruit in Morrisons
    Today spent £29.09 on mostly No Bull items in Iceland (as can't get here normally but have had to buy a bus ticket today, so making the most of it as they are £5.20 here)!
    Then £3.85 on more milk, bread and bananas from Morrisons.
    Got sorted, sat down with dinner and then i had Sainsburys online shop arrive which came to £37.35 incl missing items and one handed back item.

So total to add is : £78.81
    Originally posted by K9sandFelines
    More spends:
    £16.01 at Aldi on the 11th
    £2.97 at work on the 12th
    £2.04 at work on the 13th
    £11.27 at Morrisons yesterday and £1.00 at B and M

Just out of interest is anybody on a GF diet on here? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow due to digestive issues. As i am vegan aswell, i am anticipating it to be a bit of a minefield if my symptoms prove me right; and i doubt i'll be able to keep my food bill down even cooking from scratch !
    GC 2017 (£3,434.09/£4,000) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, Apr £182.39, May £210.24 Jun £122.33, Jul £149.45, Aug £199.22, Sep £211.46, OCT £227.94, Nov £200.33, Dec £36.15 (£2,237.75/£3,250 p.a)
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 14th Oct 18, 10:55 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Just out of interest is anybody on a GF diet on here? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow due to digestive issues. As i am vegan aswell, i am anticipating it to be a bit of a minefield if my symptoms prove me right; and i doubt i'll be able to keep my food bill down even cooking from scratch !
    I know @XSpender is GF and there's another person but I'm currently blanking on who.

€3.07 spent in Carrefour today for milk, ground ginger, and a small treat for myself. I'll head to Delhaize tomorrow for canned pumpkin and a few other things.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €136.06 / €300.00
    4/12 NSDs
    DEC 18 GC: €138.33/€350.00 // 7/12 NSD
    NOV 18 GC: €436.44/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    OCT 18 GC: €293.20/€300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 14th Oct 18, 11:58 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    selloptape
    Good luck with the appointment K9s!

I feel I've had a better week this week. Would be great to carry momentum into next week. I am struggling with meal planning this eve though. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow having dreamt up a full menu
    GC Dec £134.22/£306.25
    £2 Savers Club #59 £74
    Save 12k in 2019 #8 £0/£1,5000
    MFiT T4 #21 - reduce mortgage by £20k over 3 years
    • luckofthe_irish
    • By luckofthe_irish 15th Oct 18, 8:48 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    luckofthe_irish
    I am GF as I am coeliac and manage pretty well on a budget. If you have any specific questions please message me any time! I stick to 'naturally' gluten free foods rather than GF bread, pasta etc. as I find the nutritional value is not as good and neither is the value for money! This week I have made vegetable & chickpea curry & veggie minestrone soup for lunches & dinners - super cheap, GF and easy to cook in the slow cooker!

It was a spendy one for me this weekend as I had a night out to the cinema on Friday, an engagement party on Saturday (which I may have bought a new outfit for but it was from Pr*mark) and then my BF and I had a lazy day yesterday with lots of delicious home cooked food which we bought ingredients for. That all comes out of my 'dining out' budget so no impact on grocery budget but it was still a bit of an indulgence.

Grocery spends were: £28.43 in Ald* which comes in just under budget and leaves me at a total of: £95.37/£125

One more big shop left for the month so fingers crossed I can keep that under budget! I hope everyone's had a lovely weekend
    Trying to make my way on my MSE adventure.. Debt free since June 2018

December GC £32.58/£130
    November GC £101.14/£135 :: another month under budget! :: another m
    Emergency Fund £104.77/£1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,012Posts Today

7,123Users online

Martin's Twitter