Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claire.cuthbert
    • By Claire.cuthbert 15th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Claire.cuthbert
    Can I claim on my house insurance for rings being cut off at hospital?
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    Can I claim on my house insurance for rings being cut off at hospital? 15th Sep 18 at 10:17 PM
    Hi everyone,

I had an accident a couple of days ago where I broke my finger, unfortunately it was my wedding finger and I was wearing my wedding ring, engagement ring and eternity ring (all diamond and platinum).

Because of the swelling, I had to get my rings cut off at the hospital. Does anyone know if I would be able to claim on my house insurance to get them repaired?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 15th Sep 18, 10:19 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:19 PM
    on what basis in your T+C's can they be claimed back? Were they accidentally damaged?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Sep 18, 10:51 PM
    • 27,572 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:51 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:51 PM
    Would it be worth it? Not expensive to get them fixed, even taking into account adding in a little if needed.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    • 36,136 Posts
    • 46,587 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    The repair cost would probably not come anywhere your excess.

Take them to an independant jeweller, probably a fiver each..
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 16th Sep 18, 1:57 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 16th Sep 18, 1:57 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 1:57 PM
    The repair cost would probably not come anywhere your excess.

Take them to an independant jeweller, probably a fiver each..
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I take it that you've never seen a wedding ring that's been cut off in an emergency then?

My husband had his cut off in ICU a few years ago and it was mangled by the time they'd cut through it and then got it off a badly swollen finger. It needed to be totally re-modelled and might even have been cheaper to buy a new one, if not for sentimental reasons.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 16th Sep 18, 2:02 PM
    • 17,495 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    ACG
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:02 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:02 PM
    Would it not be 3 separate claims?
    You might be covered, it probably depends on whether you have gone for a cheap and cheerful policy or a proper policy (thats not a dig btw). It will also depend on whether or not you included the appropriate addons or not.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 16th Sep 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7,997 Posts
    • 11,759 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:33 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:33 PM
    I take it that you've never seen a wedding ring that's been cut off in an emergency then?

My husband had his cut off in ICU a few years ago and it was mangled by the time they'd cut through it and then got it off a badly swollen finger. It needed to be totally re-modelled and might even have been cheaper to buy a new one, if not for sentimental reasons.
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    That's a shame, but maybe you were just unlucky? And while that was your experience it's not necessarily true of everyone's.

When my husband's wedding ring was cut off in A&E it was done very neatly and cost us 12 to have repaired.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 16th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    That's a shame, but maybe you were just unlucky? And while that was your experience it's not necessarily true of everyone's.

When my husband's wedding ring was cut off in A&E it was done very neatly and cost us 12 to have repaired.
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Maybe we were unlucky and your staff had better tools than ours. The poor nurse that cut his off was in tears when she gave it me back, she felt totally terrible about the state of it. I certainly didn't hold it against her, she was trying to save his finger; the ring would be repaired much more easily than his finger would, but it certainly couldn't have been done for a fiver.

Even with three rings, if they could be done for around 12 quid each, it would be way below the excess on my own contents.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 16th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 7,997 Posts
    • 11,759 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    Maybe we were unlucky and your staff had better tools than ours. The poor nurse that cut his off was in tears when she gave it me back, she felt totally terrible about the state of it. I certainly didn't hold it against her, she was trying to save his finger; the ring would be repaired much more easily than his finger would, but it certainly couldn't have been done for a fiver.

Even with three rings, if they could be done for around 12 quid each, it would be way below the excess on my own contents.
    I know what you mean, they do what they have to do and I'm sure they all do their best to minimise the damage as much as possible- maybe we were lucky.

I hope your husband is ok now.
    My husband's thumb couldn't be reattached, they were able to do a partial reconstruction but he will always have limted/restricted function. (His ring had to be cut off quickly because his hand was swelling so fast.)
    Having to get his ring repaired was a minor inconvenience in comparison.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 16th Sep 18, 10:01 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Blibble
    Would it not be 3 separate claims?
    Originally posted by ACG
    One incident, therefore one claim as far as I see it.

As to whether the incident would be covered, it'd depend on the exact wording of accidental damage exclusions under the policy. My gut says no, however; whilst the act of the finger swelling is accidental, the cause of the claim (i.e., nurse cutting rings off) certainly isn't.

Depending on the state of the rings, perhaps see if somebody local & independent can help before contacting your insurer? Once you contact them, your premiums will be loaded in the future even if you withdraw from the claim.
    Wedding fund - 4025.92 (2127.07)
    OP fund - 1859.60 (0)
    Emergency fund - 150.00
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 17th Sep 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Aretnap
    As to whether the incident would be covered, it'd depend on the exact wording of accidental damage exclusions under the policy. My gut says no, however; whilst the act of the finger swelling is accidental, the cause of the claim (i.e., nurse cutting rings off) certainly isn't.
    Originally posted by Blibble
    Personally I'd suggest that as a matter of fairness to the customer, it ought to be seen as accidental damage if it's an inevitable consequence of the accident. It's not as if the OP had much choice about having the rings cut off, after all.

As an analogous scenario, what happens if if you're injured in a car accident and the emergency services have to cut the car open to get you out safely? Is that covered by your insurance, assuming you have comprehensive cover? It must be a scenario which comes up reasonably often.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 17th Sep 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    Given the rings were out of the home if they were in hospital being cut off, the wording of the AD cover is irrelevant.

If there is cover, it is under the piersonal possessions cover which is usually "all risks".

If the OP doesn't have P/P cover they can make an impassioned plea to their insurer, but any payment would be ex gratia.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 17th Sep 18, 9:34 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    Given the rings were out of the home if they were in hospital being cut off, the wording of the AD cover is irrelevant.

If there is cover, it is under the piersonal possessions cover which is usually "all risks".

If the OP doesn't have P/P cover they can make an impassioned plea to their insurer, but any payment would be ex gratia.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    +1

Also with them being rings they will also have to be under the "Valuables" Limit on personal possessions away from the home wording.

OP, Best to get a quote for repairs first then asses your options.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 22,498 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    lisyloo
    It needed to be totally re-modelled

But surely the precious metals and if applicable stones would still be there?
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 17th Sep 18, 4:11 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BooJewels
    But surely the precious metals and if applicable stones would still be there?
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Is that addressed to me? Yes, most of the gold was still there (not enough to just rejoin it, so we decided to close the gap with a small diamond - repairing it with something stronger than had been there before). But, as I posted, it was positively mangled; there was a very rough, irregular cut, gouges out of the edges and flat outer surface and it was bent totally out of shape.

My point being that it couldn't have been repaired for a fiver - the point I was responding to.

What was the point you were making?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    • 22,498 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    lisyloo
    What was the point you were making?
    Your case does sound exceptional rather than the norm.
    My point was that a lot of the value is in the gold (or precious metal) and the stones (if present) and often can be joined with minimal remodelling.

I accept your case was different, but in most cases a repair is going to be cost very effective, in some cases little more than just a join.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,187Users online

Martin's Twitter