Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 15th Sep 18, 9:44 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    Selling my investments and keeping them as cash
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:44 PM
    Selling my investments and keeping them as cash 15th Sep 18 at 9:44 PM
    Hello

I have shares with Hargreaves Lansdown.

Is it possible to sell all of my shares, keep the cash in my HL account then use the funds to re-invest at a later date, even a MUCH later date if I chose?

Thanks
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    Yes it is. Indeed its standard. Do you not already also have some cash in that account?
    So, you'd just have a different amount in it after selling.
    Its a bit concerning that someone with your level of knowledge doesn't realise this though, how did you acquire these shares in the first place, presumably not with cash that was in the account waiting to buy something??
    Are they in an ISA or a SIPP or a general trading account?
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 15th Sep 18, 9:59 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:59 PM
    I'm second guessing here, but perhaps the OP is thinking of the old ISA rules where you weren't supposed to use an S&S ISA to hold cash for a significant amount of time. To my knowledge, these were never really enforced (and HMRC never really defined what "significant" meant).

Anyway those rules no longer apply. Originally the allowance for S&S ISAs was larger than for cash ISAs, so this was intended to stop you subverting that and using an S&S ISA allowance for cash.

That's no longer relevant now that the ISA allowance can be allocated between S&S and cash as you wish.
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 15th Sep 18, 10:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:06 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:06 PM
    Thanks for your answers.

Yes, I do have cash in the account.

I just wanted to know whether it is theoretically possible to sell your entire portfolio (whether it's 1000 or 1000000) and then leave the cash untouched in the account for an indefinite period of time (whether it's 5 weeks or 5 years) until a decision is made on when and how to revisit it.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    Thanks for your answers.

Yes, I do have cash in the account.

I just wanted to know whether it is theoretically possible to sell your entire portfolio (whether it's 1000 or 1000000) and then leave the cash untouched in the account for an indefinite period of time (whether it's 5 weeks or 5 years) until a decision is made on when and how to revisit it.
    Originally posted by FDa65rdk

Yes, not just theoretically but actually. Though 5 years in cash would be not a good use of that money in general because you'll effectively lose around a couple of % a year to inflation. But you can leave it there as long as you want and with HL there's no charge for holding that cash.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 15th Sep 18, 11:15 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:15 PM
    I'm intrigued as to the rationale for keeping it with HL.
    Are you thinking of going to cash to wait out stock market headwinds/risks?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    HL is probably the best pace to keep cash in a SIPP as there's no charge. Can't recall offhand the charges for ISAs and general trading accounts that only have cash.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 15th Sep 18, 11:39 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:39 PM
    HL is probably the best pace to keep cash in a SIPP as there's no charge. Can't recall offhand the charges for ISAs and general trading accounts that only have cash.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    S/he didn't say it's a SIPP - so, I meant as opposed to high interest current accounts, P2P etc.
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 16th Sep 18, 1:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    • 16th Sep 18, 1:32 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 1:32 AM
    Yes, it's something I'm considering. I've thought for a while that a slump in the market is coming and things I've heard over the last few days have spooked me a bit.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Sep 18, 1:53 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Could form the basis of an interesting discussion, maybe start a thread?
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 16th Sep 18, 2:06 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    There has been talk of a crash as severe as the one in 2008, except that this time there are fewer options for dealing with it (interest rate cuts, QE etc)
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 16th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Shedman
    It's the things that aren't talked about or being predicted that are the ones to worry about...and none of us know by definition when the next 'Black Swan' event will occur. Diversification and a sound allocation basis are your best strategy to ride out any storms.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    S/he didn't say it's a SIPP - so, I meant as opposed to high interest current accounts, P2P etc.

Good point, if its in a trading account it would be mad to stash it away for 5 years when it could at least be getting some interest. OP has been strangely cagey what type of account its in.
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 18th Sep 18, 4:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    Sorry, for not replying sooner.

I have a stocks and shares ISA. I don't usually worry about dips in the market but when a number of sources suggest there could be a crash worse than the one in 2008, I start looking at other options.

5 years was only an example to see what is theoretically possible, I would hold funds in cash for anywhere near that long.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 18th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 7,978 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I've thought for a while that a slump in the market is coming and things I've heard over the last few days have spooked me a bit.
    There has been talk of a crash as severe as the one in 2008
    a number of sources suggest there could be a crash worse than the one in 2008
    Your sources are impeccably informed - there will be a crash worse than 2008.

Trouble is, nobody knows whether it's days away, or weeks, or months, or years, or decades, and anyone claiming to know can safely be dismissed as a blowhard, as evidenced by the number of predictions made on here and elsewhere over the last few years saying that it's just around the corner....
    • FDa65rdk
    • By FDa65rdk 18th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FDa65rdk
    Perhaps but the talk of a major crash seems to be gathering momentum.

I wasn't concerned by talk about it over the last few years because I didn't think it was round the corner but I do now.
    • 25 Years On
    • By 25 Years On 18th Sep 18, 8:10 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    25 Years On
    Perhaps but the talk of a major crash seems to be gathering momentum.

I wasn't concerned by talk about it over the last few years because I didn't think it was round the corner but I do now.
    As far as I can tell most people don't spot a major crash coming. People were always saying a crash was around the corner in the very long, many year, corner running up to 2008 but few saw the real crash coming. There were big falls in that time for a couple of days which soon recovered.

It seems the more predictions of a crash the less likely it is to happen.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 18th Sep 18, 8:11 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 11,513 Thanks
    dealer wins
    Most crashes happen out of the blue IMO. The more I hear about an impending crash, the less likely it will be I think.
    Choose life
    • short butt sweet
    • By short butt sweet 18th Sep 18, 8:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    short butt sweet
    well, the next major crash is a year closer now than it was a year ago; and so on. so it's OK to be a bit more cautious.

we still don't know when it will happen, though.

how about holding a portfolio that you could live with either if the next crash comes very soon or if doesn't happen for years and years?

for some of us, that could well mean reducing the amount we hold in equities a bit, after the very good run of return over the last few years.

but just reducing. it shouldn't be all in or all out of equities.
    • looknohands
    • By looknohands 18th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    looknohands
    I'm new to investment but if you invested in funds aren't they strong enough to rebuild after a crash or even good enough to grow in a crash? Can fund managers short stock or is that illegal now? Just would've thought a crash could benefit a fund if they saw it coming and I would trust fund managers more than grapevine info... I'm guessing maybe you're investing more in individual shares / investments perhaps?

Not advising at all, I'm a total noob! Just intrigued as a newbie why you would convert it all into cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,197Posts Today

8,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin