Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 15th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 317Thanks
    Smurphington
    Yellow mustard seeds
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    Yellow mustard seeds 15th Sep 18 at 6:22 PM
    Hi I have found some yellow mustard seeds lurking in my cupboards - can anyone give me any recipe inspiration with what to do with them?!
Page 1
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Sep 18, 6:36 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:36 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:36 PM
    Assuming you don't have enough for home-made mustard, I would use them in Indian or South Asian-style dishes.

There's a recipe I had (which I can't find atm) for a side dish which uses grated carrots, water or stock, salt, turmeric and mustard seeds. Heat a glug of oil in a pan, cook the (about 1 tbsp) mustard until it pops, add the remaining spices (about 1 tsp of each), then the carrots, fry for a minute or two then add 2-3 tbsp water or stock. Goes well with curries - it's quite dry but very flavourful.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    -taff
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    I use some to make chana dal, thy loo like split peas or lentils, very cheap in Asda, cook with various spices, I just made up amounts, didn't really follow a recipe, they make a thick stew, or a side dish, or a soup depending on how much water you add, good for diabetics [low GI] and very filling.
    Also, you could make picallili and chuck them in there. Pickle some onione or cucumber with them.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 16th Sep 18, 5:08 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    • 16th Sep 18, 5:08 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 5:08 PM
    I use it in saag aloo .. I always find spuds and spinach in the reduced section at supermarkets, so have loads made up in the freezer ..
    good glug of oil and a big knob of butter,
    heat slowly in a pan (I have a pan I just use for curry)
    add a tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds and gently fry
    when they start popping, add a tsp of cumin, tsp of turmeric and a tsp of garam masala .. if you want it hotter, add more of each and also a tsp of chilli/cayenne
    stir,
    add a heap of cooked, cubed spuds and cook for a few mins then add couple of handfuls of spinach .. allow to wilt,
    then serve and eat!!

I like it very mild and like to be able to taste the mustard seeds, but if you like it hotter then just adjust the spices ..
    oct gc - 190/200
    Nov gc - 155/250

wading through the treacle of life!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,116Posts Today

8,231Users online

Martin's Twitter