Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Sep 18, 5:44 PM
    • 3,637Posts
    • 5,669Thanks
    another casualty
    Anticipating embarrassment , anger and a waste of time . Confused ...
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:44 PM
    Anticipating embarrassment , anger and a waste of time . Confused ... 15th Sep 18 at 5:44 PM
    Howdy !

I have albeit , a mild form of myasthenia gravis . I only got it in 2014,but am aiming to conquer it as best I can .
    Briefly , it's an autoimmune / motor neurone condition . That's 2 symptoms already .

I left the job I despised( taken only in the height of the worst recession in 2008) , sold my flat , moved into another part of the country bought a leasehold flat outright and am now stuck .

When I did all this in nov 2016( almost 2 years ago ) , I have been off the system so to speak . I have some money left , but it won't last forever. People keep telling me to start looking for a job etc / go sick if you cannot . It's annoying . Reason it's annoying - I can walk and get about and talk etc . People think I'm fine . However , I'm in the process of losing weight ( put on loads because of this illness ).
    I'm Suffering at the moment from severe joint pain due to the fact I'm reducing my prednisolone . It means I have trouble getting up after sitting down, and getting up and down from the toilet .
    I quit the job through my own choice and never went on the disability route as I'm used to working 95+ % of my life .
    People say it affects my stamp if I don't sign on.
    So, I'm not well enough to look for a job , and the gvt would still say I'm fit for work . I'm almost 56.
    Any ideas what to do?
    The only person who seems to understand is my gym instructor

Thanks
Page 1
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 15th Sep 18, 5:52 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:52 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:52 PM
    You need some kind of income, so the only options are the ones you've already described: work, out of work benefits (JSA or UC) or sickness benefits (ESA or UC). You could also potentially claim PIP and help with your Council Tax.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    Thanks for that , but I don't know who to go to . Job centre?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 15th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    • 17,548 Posts
    • 30,923 Thanks
    Ames
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    Thanks for that , but I don't know who to go to . Job centre?
    Originally posted by another casualty
    It depends on where you live and which benefit. Most are initially claimed online or over the phone.

Why do you think they'll decide you're fit for work? Have you looked at the criteria or is it just an assumption?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    If you want to look at what you're entitled to, a benefit calculator might help to start with: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

The CAB could also do a benefit check if you'd rather see someone in person.

In terms of actually applying, the quickest way is to google the name of the benefit and then read the instructions on the government site. e.g.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
    https://www.gov.uk/pip

You apply for help with your Council Tax via your Council.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    It depends on where you live and which benefit. Most are initially claimed online or over the phone.

Why do you think they'll decide you're fit for work? Have you looked at the criteria or is it just an assumption?
    Originally posted by Ames
    Well, I've just looked at the criteria . It seems my assumption is correct regarding the fit for work topic ,and I wouldn't be entitled to anything there . Regarding other things , it looks like I have to have no form of money unless it is less than 6,000 . I'll have to mull over the situation .
    Thanks
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    If you want to look at what you're entitled to, a benefit calculator might help to start with: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

The CAB could also do a benefit check if you'd rather see someone in person.

In terms of actually applying, the quickest way is to google the name of the benefit and then read the instructions on the government site. e.g.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
    https://www.gov.uk/pip

You apply for help with your Council Tax via your Council.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    Thanks very much for the links above . Very good of you .

It looks like I won't be able to claim disability allowance .
    Regarding the rest, it seems that I won't get anything if I have 6,000 or above .

I'll explain my situation more below
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 17th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    It's (generally) 16,000 for working age means-tested benefits. Between 6000 and 16000, you'd still be entitled to some help, just not the full amount.

PIP isn't means-tested.

Did you try the calculator?
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 17-09-2018 at 2:48 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Sep 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 17th Sep 18, 3:01 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 3:01 PM
    Ive just been checking out the links that sunny intervals kindly provided.
    I do realise that I am a lot more lucky than a lot of other people .
    My scenario : left school in 1979 no qualifications . Managed to be constantly employed in various office jobs from 1979 until I had to do something radical in Nov 2016 , by moving out of London and bought a leasehold flat in Poole . This means I'm currently living on a few thousand which should last until the middle of next year ( fingers crossed ) . Then I will be broke .
    I obviously never went near a job centre ,as at the time I had enough to live on and would be refused point blank for anything as it was my decision to make this potentially mad move . I have therefore been off the radar from November 2016 ..until now ish .

My working life was constant ,whether permanent or temp. Until I went mad , I had less than 6 months off of work from 1979-Nov 2016
    The best ever job I had relocated in December 2006 , making my position redundant . It was the only time I "signed on " since I was 16 years old . I managed to get temp work straight away in January .
    The treatment I received was what was expected by the gvt who sent so many refusals with my council tax . When they agreed , I was back in work . I then had to pay for the 2 weeks that I was allowed when I started temping .
    This is why I find all of these benefits / entitlements confusing and Off putting .

Regarding the myasthenia gravis , it has improved since I relocated and started again . The steroid reduction is causing me severe joint pain ,as I mentioned previously .
    The good news out of all this , is that I only want part time work .
    Not sure how that's gonna plan out ,as I no longer live in London .

Thanks for reading this anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

3,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin