Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • BossHogg
    • By BossHogg 15th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Fridge/Freezer replacement in Furnished flat rental
    • #1
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    Fridge/Freezer replacement in Furnished flat rental 15th Sep 18 at 5:39 PM
    My Daughter is at her wits end as the built-in fridge freezer in her flat keeps going off so she comes home to a puddle and warm food. She is a teaching assistant and has lost 2 fridge/freezer fulls so far.

    Agent (LIV) have had a engineer out and said it needs replaced, but it has now been 3 weeks waiting for the Landlord to give the OK.Several calls and emails have not helped to move things forward (and some suggestion that the Agent is about to be replaced by Landlord).

    She cannot keep any food fresh, even the milk is going off. It may take 2 more months to get a new Agent in place while the old one does not care.

    I've suggested that her only option is to write and formally state that they are in breach of her tenancy agreement and look to find another flat in Leeds.Then there will be a battle to get the deposit back.She is near to tears every time we call as she cannot afford to eat-out or throw away more food.

    Is there anyone she can turn to for help, or is the only recourse to be prepared to move out? Could she for example write to say that she will arrange for replacement and take the cost out of future rent payments or is that crossing a line?

    Any advice would be most welcome.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 5,758 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    The first step is to confirm what the tenancy agreement states about the maintenance of white goods.
    • BossHogg
    • By BossHogg 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    • #3
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • #3
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    The wording includes...
    "To maintain the Property and the Contents therein in good repair during the tenancy, except in respect of damage or through negligence or misuse caused by the Tenant, his invited guests or visitors,..."
    and also...
    "To take reasonable steps to ensure that the Landlordís domestic gas and electrical appliances and other similar mechanical appliances in the Property for which he is responsible are safe, in proper working order, and in repair both at commencement of and during the tenancy, in order to comply with the Landlordís obligations under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the Plugs and Sockets etc., (Safety) Regulations 1994."
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 15th Sep 18, 6:06 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    • #4
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:06 PM
    • #4
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:06 PM
    Could she ask for a fridge on freecycle or buy one second hand on eBay local collection or a furniture charity shop (they tend to deliver). Then, although inconvenient I know, store the landlords fridge (with the door held ajar) so it is returned with the property and she can take her fridge with her.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 9,680 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    • #5
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • #5
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    Surely the easiest option is just to get her own replacement?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    • 46,541 Posts
    • 56,536 Thanks
    • #6
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    • #6
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    Has she written formally to the landlord at the address " for serving notices", explaining the history of the problem and referring to the relevant clause in the tenancy agreement and asking for a timescale for replacement?

    Ultimately she could purchase a replacement herself and deduct the cost from the rent, but she must follow a specific process and that letter is step 1.


    Shelter ( claiming back cost of repairs via rent)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,001Posts Today

8,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu?

  • RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

  • Follow Martin