Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Toki
    • By Toki 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 259Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Toki
    Switch via MSE or EHL (34 cashback)
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    Switch via MSE or EHL (34 cashback) 15th Sep 18 at 4:25 PM
    I notice EnergyHelpLine (EHL) offer 34 cashback for switching supplier, more than the 25 offered by MSE. Are there any reasons not to use them over MSE Energy Club who I've used in the past. Not sure if here is the right place to post this!

Even via Quidco gets 30 for going via MSE or can get 35 for going via Quidco for MSE owners MoneySupermarket Energy. Is there any reason to use MSE Energy Club anymore?

https://www.energyhelpline.com/cashback/content/cashback-ts-and-cs/
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    I use whoever pays the most cashback (if cashback makes sense).
    Last 3 deals were not with cashback as the energy companies didn't offer it and the tariffs were the cheapest by far at that time.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Sep 18, 11:01 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 2,301 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 16th Sep 18, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 11:01 AM
    I haven't found a good enuf deal via cash back sites for the past 2 years. The savings by going with smaller Cos. and separating elec. and gas have far outweighed the odd 25 or 30!
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 16th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    I notice EnergyHelpLine (EHL) offer 34 cashback for switching supplier, more than the 25 offered by MSE. Are there any reasons not to use them over MSE Energy Club who I've used in the past. Not sure if here is the right place to post this!

Even via Quidco gets 30 for going via MSE or can get 35 for going via Quidco for MSE owners MoneySupermarket Energy. Is there any reason to use MSE Energy Club anymore?

https://www.energyhelpline.com/cashback/content/cashback-ts-and-cs/
    Originally posted by Toki
    EHL are included within this MSE article on getting the best deal
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/

There is no indication there is any issue with using them. I'm sure MSE would not have got, and stayed, in bed with them if there were any issues.(or at least they would post a cautionary note)

You need to go via the MSE link to obtain the cashback. EHL do not ordinarily pay cashback. Iirc, it was MSE Martin (when he owned this site) that suggested to switching sites that if they were prepared to share some of their commission with MSEers switching, he would be willing to include them in his article.

I see uSwitch are also still listed offering a free case of wine worth at least 60 for a successful switch of both gas & electricity.

The article also advises MSEers:

Also check if you can get more going via a cashback website both for the energy provider itself and, on rare occasions, for going to the comparison site – try the Cashback Sites Maximiser.
    Definitely worth a read of the whole article

Remember also that the MSE CEC is not primarily a comparison site.
    It is a notification service that constantly checks you are on the best tariff and alerts you if/when you are not.
    It uses the parent site, MoneySuperMartket.com, to obtain the pricinbg information.

EHL is one of the Ofgem accredited comparison sites, but has now also added a similar notification service to their own site.
    However, I'm not sure you can get cashback using their notification service; the MSE link takes you to their comparison service.
    Last edited by wavelets; 16-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 16th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    FullForce
    • 16th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    I haven't found a good enuf deal via cash back sites for the past 2 years. The savings by going with smaller Cos. and separating elec. and gas have far outweighed the odd 25 or 30!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    We moved to a small supplier (brilliant energy) for our gas last April.
    It beat evreything else available on the market at the time for us
    (The particular tariff is no longer available to new applicants)
    The tariff also now continues to beat anything available on the market (which has generally risen considerably siince)... and it was fixed.

As MSE Martin advises, we did not take possible cashback into account when we decided who to move to ... but we did apply via a comparison site that offered us cashback which we will consider the cherry on the cake if it ever gets paid to us.

The tariff was never even shown on the MSE CEC (let alone being eligible for possible cashback), so it's definitely worth checking the various sites.

We switched our electricity to a small supplier about a month earlier via the CEC, as that was the cheapest available to us at the time.
    We've received our cashback for that switch, but admitedly have switched again since without any cashback offering. This was because the CEC tariff was variable, and the supplier later advised they were increasing their prices (as is the general direction presently), but we then saw another supplier who had introduced a fixed tariff that would cost us the same as the pre-increase varible tariff. That fixed tariff was not available when we first switched via the CEC, and has since been withdrawn from sale to new applicants; indeed I think it was only on offer for about a week or two. We were just fortunate with the timing.
    Last edited by FullForce; 16-09-2018 at 9:42 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,528Posts Today

8,074Users online

Martin's Twitter