Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bond00
    • By Bond00 15th Sep 18, 4:01 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Bond00
    Given a parking ticket that had time left on it but now have been fined by a private comapny
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:01 PM
    Given a parking ticket that had time left on it but now have been fined by a private comapny 15th Sep 18 at 4:01 PM
    This is my first time posting and l would appreciate some advice. My father went went into a car park near the bank and a helpful lady gave him her ticket. My dad was going to pay the pound but thanked her took it and displayed it whilst he went to the bank.He thought nothing of it but today a parking letter has arrived,stating that he is liable for 50.00 which will increase to 90 if not paid because of transferring a ticket to another car. I have yet to see the signs on the car park or see the full letter. Whatever people's views on this it was given as a gesture of goodwill and accepted. Apparently they have photographic evidence? l have told him not to pay it yet,and l am very annoyed that he has hand out his money to such bandits.
    I would welcome advice and l am willing to act on his behalf.
    Last edited by Bond00; 19-09-2018 at 6:38 PM.
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Sep 18, 4:03 PM
    • 20,196 Posts
    • 31,865 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:03 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:03 PM
    Which parking firm?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 19,865 Posts
    • 25,166 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    see the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum

in future, make sure the payment is made at the machine as they probably use VRM details, that person handing him the ticket could well be a sc@mmer wiating for just such a victim, as these tickets are usually not transferable

which PPC is it ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Sep 18, 4:58 PM
    • 36,231 Posts
    • 46,690 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:58 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:58 PM
    It very likely says on the ticket tbat eaz passed to hi 'this ticket is not transferable.
    Do they have photographic evidence of the ticket changing hands
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    Do they have photographic evidence of the ticket changing hands
    Originally posted by McKneff
    It has been known for employees or "agents" of a parking company to entrap motorists by offering the partially used ticket, and then slapping a ticket on the car for that reason. Redx has already commented as such.

As stated, what is the evidence they are relying on? Unless it's one of those car parks where the ticket has the VRM on it, they will be hard pushed to prove it.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 19,865 Posts
    • 25,166 Thanks
    Redx
    Napier are going to state that no ticket was bought and the handed over ticket is not transferable

by all means appeal it if you wish but dont expect to have it cancelled, not by Napier and not by any IAS appeal either

I doubt that a judge will find in favour of the driver on this one

so dont expect a quick resolution , expect a legal dispute

tell him to check the signs and buy a ticket in future when its pay and display
    Last edited by Redx; 17-09-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 37,867 Posts
    • 21,999 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    You do need to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum to understand this game - get the keeper to read up there too

See the advice on dealing with IPC companies, get the keeper to send the template appeal and then ignore everything except court correspondence or a lbcca

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving

Edit your posts to remove details of who was driving
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Sep 18, 6:00 PM
    • 10,665 Posts
    • 10,041 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:00 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:00 PM
    We are in a guessing game here. We don't know if there was a notice saying tickets are not transferable, if the ticket required a vehicle registration or what.

If you can supply the details of what the signs said, what the parking arrangements re keying in reg no etc, then we may have a chance, but I fear that he will have an uphill struggle without, particularly if he is honest about getting a 2nd hand ticket.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Sep 18, 6:12 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:12 PM
    The all important odds of court http://www.parkingappeals.info/companydata/Napier_Parking.html

Take a look at them. I wouldn't see it as a lost cause just a bit of a gamble
    This space for hire.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9,243 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    beamerguy
    . Whatever people's views on this it was given as a gesture of goodwill and accepted. Apparently they have photographic evidence? l have told him not to pay it yet,he is the carer for my mom and l am very annoyed that he has hand out his money to such bandits.
    I would welcome advice and l am willing to act on his behalf.
    Originally posted by Bond00
    I have often given these machine tickets to others, older
    people or young mums

15 spaces is a small car park and really not big enoigh
    for a resident warden

Napier offer a self ticketing system which means they
    take on someone to take pictures to earn commission

Explained here ...
    http://napierparking.co.uk/self-enforcement-solution

It is very debatable that this falls within their permission
    from the scam ATA, the IPC, to obtain data from the
    DVLA

A self ticketer is not employed by Napier and whilst anyone
    can take a picture of a car, it's the forwarding of data
    without permission from the car owner that is the problem
    as commission only workers who could be anyone, form
    no contract that is allowed

Couple this to pictures being taken by a "nobody" then this
    could be seen as predatory

You should send a SAR to Napier asking who took the pictures
    and proof of their authority to do so
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    • 37,867 Posts
    • 21,999 Thanks
    Quentin
    I have often given these machine tickets to others, older
    people or young mums
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    You should explain to your chosen recipient the danger that using your gift instead of buying their own means they could be using an invalid ticket.

People doing this in car parks had lead to the annoyance of having to input your reg now as well as buy a ticket!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 9,243 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    beamerguy
    You should explain to your chosen recipient the danger that using your gift instead of buying their own means they could be using an invalid ticket.

People doing this in car parks had lead to the annoyance of having to input your reg now as well as buy a ticket!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    But I never said I would give tickets away if I had even entered
    my own VRN ... did I ????

Plenty of car parks where a VRN is not entered or required

One must not make assumptions

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Bond00
    • By Bond00 15th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bond00
    Thank you to all who replied to me,l will get the correct info from my dad and have a proper look at the letter.l really appreciate all your help as l haven't a clue. When l googled about this it led me to this forum so l joined for assistance. I am so impressed with all the help you have given me so far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 63,827 Posts
    • 76,454 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You can't request evidence, as you are a stranger to the matter.

Your Dad should, as beamerguy said (I hope you noticed this is NOT an 'appeal?):
    send a SAR to Napier asking who took the pictures and proof of their authority to do so
    and for copies of notes and all photos taken.

You can obviously write the SAR for him, look on SAR threads here and copy/adapt. But it CANNOT come from you.

As they do not yet have the DVLA data, he should accompany his SAR with a copy of his V5 to show he is the registered keeper of the car.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 9,243 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Thank you to all who replied to me,l will get the correct info from my dad and have a proper look at the letter.l really appreciate all your help as l haven't a clue. When l googled about this it led me to this forum so l joined for assistance. I am so impressed with all the help you have given me so far.
    Do let us know please

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Bond00
    • By Bond00 15th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bond00
    Beamerguy thanks for your help,l found that interesting that they have the self enforcement app. This means that anyone can be their representative, so what is to stop someone deliberately handing out a ticket and getting another person to use this app to photo the evidence. As such this car park could be making a particular individual and this firm a great deal of money. Is this legal?
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 15th Sep 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 5,055 Thanks
    fisherjim
    I do wish to point out that my Dad had every intention to pay,he was caught out looked at the ticket and was only planning a short visit. This car park was cheap.I will see his letter tomorrow, there was nothing placed on his car when he returned.

You must impress on your dad that the era of fluffy friendly car parking has long since gone, in fact car ownership these days has degenerated into a multimillion pound industry full of scammers, snoopers, rules, regulations and costs. The reason, it's easy, a traceable vehicle points straight to the keepers pocket!

Come back with more info, and follow the advice given here to appeal, the so called 50 reduced charge is just a bribe to get you to pay up and shut up!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 20,196 Posts
    • 31,865 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You can obviously write the SAR for him, look on SAR threads here and copy/adapt. But it CANNOT come from you.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5849784
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th Sep 18, 8:36 PM
    • 10,537 Posts
    • 10,934 Thanks
    KeithP
    This means that anyone can be their representative, so what is to stop someone deliberately handing out a ticket and getting another person to use this app to photo the evidence. As such this car park could be making a particular individual and this firm a great deal of money. Is this legal?
    Yes, that is exactly the suggestion made by Redx over four hours ago - in the third post on this thread.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 15th Sep 18, 8:50 PM
    • 9,243 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Beamerguy thanks for your help,l found that interesting that they have the self enforcement app. This means that anyone can be their representative, so what is to stop someone deliberately handing out a ticket and getting another person to use this app to photo the evidence. As such this car park could be making a particular individual and this firm a great deal of money. Is this legal?
    OK, to get data from the DVLA they need to belong to an ATA
    (Accredited Trade Association) ... there are two, the BPA and
    the IPC. Being members of either gets them access to the DVLA

However, the IPC is the biggest scam in the UK which Napier
    belong to. The IPC was set up by Gladstones Solicitors
    and the purpose is to extort money from the motorist

Government knows all about this scam but has failed to
    protect the motorist ..... Sir Greg Clark MP has a new
    bill going through which we hope will scupper these
    scammers ..... worth reading the second bill ....

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

So, Napier are classed as a scammer as they belong
    to the scam IPC set up by Gladstones Solicitors

The SAR which you can do by email will give an insight
    in what Napier are doing in this car park

They are legally obliged to reply

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,407Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter