Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzled survivor
    • By Puzzled survivor 15th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Puzzled survivor
    No will money worry
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    No will money worry 15th Sep 18 at 3:57 PM
    Hi All

My Dad left 2 accounts and a PO with money in it. He verbalised too myself and my younger sister how much etc was in there. He had one account in her shared name. He told me it was an account that she was paying back into for money previously loaned. She told me in hospital that she had 560 in this account that she had saved towards a course. She did not say that there was any other money. The other account he left his former divorced wifes name on from 21yrs previous though there was a letter sought and agreed from her before his death.My younger sister had this as far as i know though it was not sent to the bank in time.
    After the funeral where there was some angst either way on mutual choices as my Dad just left it with us with trust to cover everything. My younger sister is now claiming that she paid out from her shared account what she did not need too for the funeral it was 4000 out of 6200. She now says that her mum was entitled too the other account money of 2000 but that she has gifted it too her, her daughter. We have the same father but not mother. There is also an eldest brother and sister. Younger sister is saying she will keep the money Gifted and that we should all now pay towards the headstone. No written will i trusted my sister too do the right thing..This is what has happened..Please any advice?
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 17,122 Posts
    • 43,154 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    If an account is in joint names then I believe that the money now legally belongs to the surviving person named on the account, whatever your father's intentions, and they can gift/do what they like with this.
    Who is administering the estate and what's happened to the account that was in his sole name?
    Whether or not you wish to pay towards a headstone is outside of this and is completely your choice.
    Last edited by elsien; 15-09-2018 at 4:08 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 15th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:39 PM
    Sounds a right mess. Time to get the members of your family together and agree a way forward. Easier said than done, but much cheaper than the alternatives.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    Any funeral expenses (including headstone) would come out of your father's estate - how much did this come to ? ie his own account.

If someone wishes to pay for parts of the funeral / headstone out of their own money they can do so, that is up to them but they shouldn't expect others to pay.

The joint accounts will belong to the other named person - there have been cases where this has been challenged but it gets complicated and expensive.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 15th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    My father and I had a joint account. When he died last year it became mine, outside of his estate.

Funerals/headstones etc come from the estate.

It might seem impossible but see if you can come to some arrangement between yourselves. Solicitors are expensive and will eat big chunks out of the money.

The advice you'll get on here is really very good
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10,550 Posts
    • 12,068 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    Hi All

My Dad left 2 accounts and a PO with money in it. He verbalised too myself and my younger sister how much etc was in there. He had one account in her shared name. He told me it was an account that she was paying back into for money previously loaned. She told me in hospital that she had 560 in this account that she had saved towards a course. She did not say that there was any other money. The other account he left his former divorced wifes name on from 21yrs previous though there was a letter sought and agreed from her before his death.My younger sister had this as far as i know though it was not sent to the bank in time.
    After the funeral where there was some angst either way on mutual choices as my Dad just left it with us with trust to cover everything. My younger sister is now claiming that she paid out from her shared account what she did not need too for the funeral it was 4000 out of 6200. She now says that her mum was entitled too the other account money of 2000 but that she has gifted it too her, her daughter. We have the same father but not mother. There is also an eldest brother and sister. Younger sister is saying she will keep the money Gifted and that we should all now pay towards the headstone. No written will i trusted my sister too do the right thing..This is what has happened..Please any advice?
    Originally posted by Puzzled survivor
    Yes, but whats that? Certainly not clear from your post.

To me a headstone is for the living not the dead. If your dad had wanted one he'd have left instructions in his will, had an account marked for a headstone, or an insurance policy. Its eems he didnt.

So, if you can all agree what to pay for one, fine then do that. Otherwise get your own cheap one I dont think its fair for one person to impose on everyone what they think the headstone should cost. Did that 4k cost include the headstone so its already been paid?

Rest of your post is equally hard to follow such as what happened to the joint bank account with ex wife from 21 years ago? Too much use of "she" when there's an ex wife, a sister and younger sister and "she" gets it, and a letter didnt get to a bank "before". Which "she" and before what? Why was there even still money in that joint account?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 15th Sep 18, 10:15 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:15 PM
    The intestacy rules (no will) are here.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

So the spouse inherits the lot after debts are paid.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    • 10,550 Posts
    • 12,068 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    The intestacy rules (no will) are here.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

So the spouse inherits the lot after debts are paid.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Is there a spouse? Not clear to me if there is.

So dad had 6k in his account and lets say one of the children unilaterally decides to blow the lot on a fancy dan funeral and a big headstone. Who is liable?

And answering my own Q, I suppose its whoever ordered it from the funeral company. Other relatives may chip in what they deem reasonable after the event and the difficulty comes when one decides a 1k headstone is appropriate and another thinks a 50 wooden cross is what dad wanted and the formers already spent / ordered the 1k headstone and "expected" the others to pay a share.

Would it be unkind to say since there's what 2k left among some 5 or 6 relatives just to walk away and forget it ?
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 15-09-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,960Posts Today

9,146Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin