Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ssm90
    • By ssm90 15th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ssm90
    High electric usage - immersion heater?
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    High electric usage - immersion heater? 15th Sep 18 at 3:55 PM
    Afternoon All,

I need some help with my immersion heater please- I think I may just be being stupid.

I've moved int a new flat as of 2 months ago, and everything is electric based so there's no gas. I have just worked out that my usage over the last 2 months averages just over 9 units a day. From what I can see the average usage in the UK is 9 units/day, however, I live on my own and spend most of my time outside of the flat for work so this seems quite high. In fact, the energy company themselves think my meter reading is way higher than they predicted.

I think the problem is with my immersion heater. I've never had to use one before and no one, including the management company are able to provide me help with how it works and so i end up leaving the switch on all night for a hot shower in the morning and switch it off in the day.

Can someone please explain how it works? I think I'm just being an idiot.

Basically, there are 3 switches. 1 is in the kitchen, labelled immersion heater, along with other switches for the hob, fridge, washing machine etc. Then there are 2 more switches in the boiler cupboard where the heater is, these switches are labelled 'Off-Peak' and 'On-Peak'. What does this mean? Do I need to have all 3 switches on? Or does the main switch in the kitchen need to be on for the other two 2 be working or is the main switch just a booster? Are the on-peak and off-peak different charges? Surely it cant be to do with electricity prices because why would they be a switch? :S

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ssm90; 15-09-2018 at 3:57 PM.
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    try turning them all off apart from the off peak one.

The other two are probably top up switches, should you find yourself lacking hot water in the evening.

Are you on economy 7 ?

p.s pictures always help
    • ssm90
    • By ssm90 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ssm90
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    Apologies, please see below for images
    https://ibb.co/i5ex6e
    https://ibb.co/cnL4me

I am also on Economy 7.

Do you know what the difference between the two top up switches are? The way they're set up seems very illogical.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:34 PM

Usually the off peak turns on the bottom/large immersion heater to heat the whole tank up overnight on the cheap 7 hours.

If you run out of hot water in the evening, you can turn on other switches to activate a smaller heater at the top of the tank which uses peak time electricity.

The 2 topup switches are for convince, so you can turn one on before washing up. The visible light is also a good reminder that you have left it on.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 15-09-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    • ssm90
    • By ssm90 15th Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ssm90
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    Perfect thanks for that Andy. That leaves me with just one question, if Off-Peak only works during off peak ours, i.e. night time then its best left on for that and the On-peak only works during the day time as a booster. What is the purpose of the Immersion Heater switch is wonder? Does it provide a secondary level of boost on top of the on-peak?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    I would guess the kitchen switch does the same as the on peak switch.

If you turn the on peak switch on in the cupboard, does the kitchen red light come on ?

Basically try leaving off peak down all the time. And see if the usage reduces over a week
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Sep 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 25,636 Thanks
    jk0
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:49 PM
    Is there possibly another immersion heater in the kitchen? Maybe one just for the sink? It might even be a dummy switch.
    • ssm90
    • By ssm90 15th Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ssm90
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    I would guess the kitchen switch does the same as the on peak switch.

If you turn the on peak switch on in the cupboard, does the kitchen red light come on ?

Basically try leaving off peak down all the time. And see if the usage reduces over a week
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    The red light in the kitchen doesnt come on if the OnPeak is switched on. However, the red light on the On Peak doesn't come on either- so thats got me thinking if the On Peak even works.

Okay, so basically don't turn on the Immersion Heater switch in the kitchen and just use the Off-peak for a week to see if the rate reduces?

Is there possibly another immersion heater in the kitchen? Maybe one just for the sink? It might even be a dummy switch.
    Originally posted by jk0
    That's a good point, I had a closer look and theres definitely no smaller immersion heater for the sink. If it is a dummy switch, thats very annoying! I wonder if the On-peak switch in the cupboard is a dummy one or if they both have the same function. Think I may have to trial and error it.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7,545 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    Is the immersion switch in the kitchen simply a more convenient on peak switch? Does switching it affect if the on peak switch lights up?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Sep 18, 10:27 PM
    • 42,781 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    macman
    Basics: OP, you need to tell us if you are on an E7 tariff or not. The set up has clearly been designed for a dual rate tariff, but that should not be taken for granted.
    Secondly, how is the property heated? Again, it is normal to use NSH's with E7, but is that what you have installed?
    If you are not on E7, then juggling the timings will make zero difference.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Rosabear
    • By Rosabear 15th Sep 18, 10:55 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Rosabear
    OP has said they are on Economy 7.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 16th Sep 18, 9:17 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    cranford
    I am on E7 used mainly for immersion water heating. In all day and use a 30 min boost at lunch time. My E7 consumption averages 3.75 units per day so that includes the fridge freezers, the freezer in the garage and not a lot else.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 4,197 Thanks
    Hengus
    I suspect that the switch panel is for isolation purposes. I doubt that the dishwasher; cooker hood and washing machine suddenly leap into life if the switches are turned on. I had a similar panel in my previous home. When I pressed the switch marked 'waste', the waste disposal unit came on. The actual unit was plugged into a 13 amp socket under the sink. If I turned the socket switch off and turned 'waste' on: nothing happened.

It is worth bearing in mind that all immersion heaters are thermostatically controlled; that is, they will turn off when the set cylinder temperature is reached. It matters not one jot to the cylinder whether it is heated by E7 peak or off peak - the cylinder will still consume the same kWhs to cover hot water usage and cylinder heat loss. Peak/Off Peak heating only matters in terms of unit price and the final cost to the consumer.
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Sep 18, 8:26 PM
    • 42,781 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    macman
    OP still hasn't told us how the property is heated.
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 16th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    FullForce
    OP still hasn't told us how the property is heated.
    Originally posted by macman
    OP hasn't given us their inside leg measurement either
    • macman
    • By macman 17th Sep 18, 10:25 AM
    • 42,781 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    macman
    Very droll, but it's fairly fundamental, given that heating accounts for up to 80% of total energy usage. We know it's E7, but that doesn't mean that some previous numpty hasn't ripped out the NSH's and installed convectors 'because they look nicer'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,086Posts Today

8,083Users online

Martin's Twitter