Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marbrock
    • By marbrock 15th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    marbrock
    Does tax relief on Pension Contributions affect Gift Aid Contributions?
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    Does tax relief on Pension Contributions affect Gift Aid Contributions? 15th Sep 18 at 3:52 PM
    Do I need to earn enough so that my tax bill covers both the tax relief on contributions to a personal pension and any contributions made to charities as Gift Aid?

E.g. Earn enough to have a tax bill of 1500, pay 4000 into a pension and get 1000 relief, pay gift aid contributions which get 600 relief so 1600 relief but only 1500 tax due. Will I then be asked to pay the difference?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    No. You have to be within the earnings limits (including carry forward in the unlikely event this is applicable) for making the pension payment but you don't have to paid tax equivalent to the basic rate tax relief the pension company adds.

You do though have to paid enough tax to cover the gift aid tax relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,336Posts Today

9,167Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin