Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jaminphil
    • By jaminphil 15th Sep 18, 3:12 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jaminphil
    Will I get a fine?
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:12 PM
    Will I get a fine? 15th Sep 18 at 3:12 PM
    Hi all,

A driver parked in a shopping centre car park earlier today and, due to a mix-up between him and his wife, they didn't get our ticket straight away. As soon as they realised their mistake, they went to get a ticket from the machine to pay for an hour (probably stayed about 40 minutes in total). However, the terms and conditions state that they should have got a ticket no more than 10 minutes after initially arriving, but they were probably a few minutes over this. It is one of those number plate recognition car parks.

Given that no-one has lost out on anything, are they likely to get a fine, or will common sense apply? It's a Bank Park car park (who according to their own website apparently are the fair and friendly face of parking). Is it best to proactively contact them to explain?

If they do get a fine, then are they likely to be able to successfully appeal?

Many thanks for any replies.

Phil
    Last edited by jaminphil; 15-09-2018 at 3:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    I really wish my crystal ball was working. Sadly it isn't so I can't say with 100% certainty.
    This space for hire.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    • 19,244 Posts
    • 24,458 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    IPC operator so unlikely to win any appeal

keep the paid for ticket safe and take pics of it

any successful win will be based on legal arguments, so wait and see if an NTK arrives in the post

the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread explains what you need to know and do

explaining "what happened" is very unlikely to work, so whatever happens dont start blabbing about that or who was driving either

ps:- nobody will receive a "fine", because a private company cannot "fine" you , me or anyone else, but they may send an "invoice"
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • jaminphil
    • By jaminphil 15th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jaminphil
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    Thanks for the advice Redx - by your first sentence, do you mean that I or the operator am unlikely to win any appeal?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    • 19,244 Posts
    • 24,458 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    its rare to win an operator appeal and rarer to win an IPC appeal

a judge is more likely to rule in your favour than any PPC or the IAS

the PPC has 6 years to issue a court case

wait and see if an NTK arrives first
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 15th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    This would be a contractual charge, not a penalty, so one thing is certain - You will not get any sort of "fine"..!

As directed above, you need to inform yourself properly by reading the Newbies Sticky, then wait and see.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

3,983Users online

Martin's Twitter