Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cronton
    • By Cronton 15th Sep 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Cronton
    Jean Paul Gaultier - Male - Purchased from B&M is a fake
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:52 AM
    Jean Paul Gaultier - Male - Purchased from B&M is a fake 15th Sep 18 at 11:52 AM
    I have worn JPG Male for over 20 years and sometime last year I was doing a shop at my local B&M - when I got to the checkout, the woman asked me "Would you like some JPG cologne that we have on offer this week?" ... it was a good price (from memory, about half price) so I accepted the offer - thinking that I would keep it on-stock as my bottle at home was still quite new.

I have just come to open the new bottle, as I plan on taking on holiday in a few days time, but when I removed it from the presentation "tin" and used it, I found that it's clearly a fake - almost no smell and what smell there is, is nothing like JPG - which, after 20 odd years of use, I know extremely well.

As I bought it from a well-known store, not a street market or online seller, it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be the real item. Unfortunately, I no longer have a receipt.

Is there anything I can do?
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Sep 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:57 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:57 AM
    Half price in a bargain shop and didn't think anything wrong?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 15th Sep 18, 12:05 PM
    • 4,196 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:05 PM
    Half price in a bargain shop and didn't think anything wrong?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I wouldn't expect a reputable retailer to be selling counterfeit goods. They are breaking the law.

Perfumes are ridiculously overpriced, and if I saw them at half price I would expect the retailer to still be making a profit.

OP should complain to the Head Office to try to get a refund, and/or report the retailer to Trading Standards.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 15th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    I would contact them. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it a goodwill gesture of some money or replacement product would be a likely result

on the other hand if you wanted to punish them then police or trading standards, but they may not take it seriously for 20.
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018-1H:11K
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Sep 18, 12:26 PM
    • 10,274 Posts
    • 11,558 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:26 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:26 PM
    I wouldn't expect a reputable retailer to be selling counterfeit goods
    Originally posted by Nick_C

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/b-m-pie-face-toys-are-fakes-says-manufacturer-1-7109441

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2860378/Stores-Britain-selling-fake-bottle-Head-Shoulders-shampoo-containing-sex-change-chemical.html
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 15th Sep 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:35 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:35 PM

Indeed, I doubt the stores are in any way complicit though. I would think discount stores are probably a easy target for selling one off shipments of fake goods. Show them the real thing, delivery and get the money. Probably takes people ages to realise and by then the company no longer exists.

And then the bargain company has to remove the product and they are the big loser.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    I have worn JPG Male for over 20 years and sometime last year I was doing a shop at my local B&M - when I got to the checkout, the woman asked me "Would you like some JPG cologne that we have on offer this week?" ... it was a good price (from memory, about half price) so I accepted the offer - thinking that I would keep it on-stock as my bottle at home was still quite new.

I have just come to open the new bottle, as I plan on taking on holiday in a few days time, but when I removed it from the presentation "tin" and used it, I found that it's clearly a fake - almost no smell and what smell there is, is nothing like JPG - which, after 20 odd years of use, I know extremely well.

As I bought it from a well-known store, not a street market or online seller, it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be the real item. Unfortunately, I no longer have a receipt.

Is there anything I can do?
    Originally posted by Cronton
    With no receipt can you prove you bought it from the B & M shop?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 15th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 6,863 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    Is it possible that it is genuine but in the past you have bought cologne/perfume and this time it was eau de cologne or eau de toilette which are both much lower concentrate and are not a patch on the the better quality versions.
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 15th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    Old stock?

Don't perfumes lose their smell after a time, especially if they have not been stored correctly??
    • Cronton
    • By Cronton 15th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cronton
    Is it possible that it is genuine but in the past you have bought cologne/perfume and this time it was eau de cologne or eau de toilette which are both much lower concentrate and are not a patch on the the better quality versions.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    No, because all Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male - is Eau de Toilette spray. It's just the size that varies.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 16th Sep 18, 8:15 AM
    • 909 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Perfumes are ridiculously overpriced
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Based on what?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Sep 18, 9:24 AM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    hollydays
    I would contact jpg
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 4,730 Thanks
    DoaM
    I would contact jpg
    Originally posted by hollydays
    How would a compressed image file extension help?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 16th Sep 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    Old stock?

Don't perfumes lose their smell after a time, especially if they have not been stored correctly??
    Originally posted by marcarm
    Thought that was when stored in sunlight, not in their packaging?
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • 1974Stephen
    • By 1974Stephen 17th Sep 18, 2:13 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    1974Stephen
    If you are in doubt, contact PUIG and they will likely ask for the bottle back. B&M are likely not an authorised retailer of fine fragrance. (grey market sourced)

Good luck
    • reason2
    • By reason2 17th Sep 18, 8:13 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    reason2
    chances are it isnt fake but out of date, B&M are known for short shelf life items, hence the low price so chances are it had a short shelf life when you bought it, left it almost a year before opening and now its lost its scent.

problem is because you left it so long you dont have many rights.
    • Cronton
    • By Cronton 17th Sep 18, 10:57 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cronton
    chances are it isnt fake but out of date, B&M are known for short shelf life items, hence the low price so chances are it had a short shelf life when you bought it, left it almost a year before opening and now its lost its scent.

problem is because you left it so long you dont have many rights.
    Originally posted by reason2
    I take your point about leaving it so long to raise the issue - but I disagree that an unopened JPG product will "lose its scent" completely after 12-18 months of being kept unopened in a cool/dark place (by me). I should at least be able to recognise the smell as being JPG Le Male after newly opening it, no matter how old it is. I have used a 10-year-old (opened) bottle before, which still smelt perfect to me ... although the smell faded on the skin quicker - 2-3 hours instead of the usual 5-6.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,073Users online

Martin's Twitter