Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Webby74
    • By Webby74 15th Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Webby74
    Advice on applying for Credit Card
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    Advice on applying for Credit Card 15th Sep 18 at 10:02 AM
    Hi, my first post here so..

Looking for advice. I’m applying for a credit card so I can move my ending 0% to another. This is the first time I’ve done so since my divorce and I was wondering about the dependants question on application form. And I don’t want to put the wrong answer and effect my application.

I have two daughters (10 and 12) who live with their mother, I pay child maintenance and they stay with me 2/3 nights a week. The question is do they count them as dependants? A friend told me no, as they don’t with me, but I’m unsure? It just doesn’t sound right.

Any advice would be grateful.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • NewToTheUkAgain
    • By NewToTheUkAgain 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    NewToTheUkAgain
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    You have 2 dependants. They still depend on you.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    Layman's opinion only - but they are your kids so they are dependents.

What often happens with divorces is the parents agree to joint custody but with care and control going to just one of them. If this is the case, I would say they are still dependents - and don't forget you're still maintaining them and that indicates dependency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,514Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter