Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeagueOfWolf
    • By LeagueOfWolf 15th Sep 18, 8:16 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 32Thanks
    LeagueOfWolf
    New Job Very Intense - Any Tips?
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:16 AM
    New Job Very Intense - Any Tips? 15th Sep 18 at 8:16 AM
    I've just started my new contracting job it's been 1 week and it's been quite intense. There's loads of completely new things I have to learn and processes and tools which are internal to the business etc which is natural.
    I came in as a more junior role but I have had 5+ year experience. To the company they don't care whatever role you're in they want you to contribute in a big way which is a great thing! It gives you loads of responsibilities to begin with but its starting to give me huge !!! anxiety. I've never been a real asset to a business before that they wouldn't want to lose me, nor have I ever been promoted. I just work somewhere for years on end doing my job as best as i can.

On Friday my manager spoke to me and told me in order for me to become a more permanent position I need to 'add value' and he gave another new starter (been there 1 year) as an example. She's coming up with new processes, new scripts and is multi skilled in every single path and has picked up completely new programs in less than a week. I now feel like a lot is expected of me, that I need to contribute more ideas and use the years of experience I have but I can't seem to feel like I have any experience? I'm use to doing as I'm told at work. In my spare time I do a lot of my own projects where I am able to have the freedom of choice and time to experiment which is great. How do I apply this to my actual role????

A lot of the people in this business are similar age or younger than me and are very successful, self assured confident in their skills and are able to articulate ideas and back them up. I feel like I'm a bit of a redundant addition. My mind is clouded from fear that I dont speak up nor work to my full capability. It's mostly group settings and the feeling I have to prove something that scares me. I shine the most when there is less pressure and I feel comfortable in the environment and people. At the moment it all feels slightly foreign.

Does anyone have any tips to help build my own confidence? How do I become a key player? I don't necessarily have to 'make changes' but I want to work towards building a better attitude and career aspirations so I can actually progress in life.
    Last edited by LeagueOfWolf; 15-09-2018 at 9:16 PM.
Page 1
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 15th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    From all you've said, it sounds as if you are in the wrong job and wrong environment. Do you actually want to be a 'key player'? There's no need to be one unless that is your own ambition - the world would grind to halt without plenty of followers.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    All new jobs are overwhelming in the first month or so as you process and take on information, procedures and everything else. You will soon settle in and get a feeling for how things are done and once you know all that you will know what ideas will work based on what's gone before.

Don't run before you can walk. Learn the basics and build from there, for example you don't learn how to drive a bus before you know how to drive a car.

Patience is a virtue. Learn, screw up, learn from it and then screw up on something else. As much as most people won't admit it, they tend to learn more by screwing up in the first place because you usually find a new "feature" or method or technique that you knew nothing about that would have been easier in the first place.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 15th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    Patience is a virtue. Learn, screw up, learn from it and then screw up on something else. As much as most people won't admit it, they tend to learn more by screwing up in the first place because you usually find a new "feature" or method or technique that you knew nothing about that would have been easier in the first place.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I agree with what you have said, but from what OP says about their new employer, that doesn't sound a viable option.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Sep 18, 3:36 PM
    • 5,406 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:36 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:36 PM
    You've been there only one week? I am not surprised you aren't feeling comfortable yet. As you get to know people better you will become more comfortable, and as you learn more you will have more context to help you learn other things faster.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    • 5,455 Posts
    • 9,029 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    Can I just check what your employment position actually is? I'm assuming from the way you talk it's IT based. Are you a self employed contractor (ie: brought in on a temp basis on mega bucks), a contractor for a contracting company or in some way employed by this company?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

8,904Users online

Martin's Twitter