Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smipsy
    • By smipsy 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 7Thanks
    smipsy
    Unsure whether I need glasses
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    Unsure whether I need glasses 14th Sep 18 at 11:29 PM
    Hello everybody!

Hoping to find some "eye experts" around here, as my searching around Google explained some things to me, but I'm still partly in the dark.

I went to Specsavers, as my eyes have started feeling "tired" lately, and as I've always good eye sight I wanted to make sure I do everything I can to keep it that way. The whole procedure felt a bit "rushed", so I wanted to get some information.

These are my values:
    https://i.imgur.com/IZqIirM.jpg

I've been told I'm nearsighted and shown around to look for frames and so on. I haven't committed to anything, as I decided to also go to Boots to have another eye test on Sunday, and see if they will come up with the same values. I just want to be sure, as I don't feel like I need the glasses, but if both end up with the same result, then obviously it will mean I do in fact need them.

My original reason of going for an eye test (the tiredness of my eyes) was attributed to my nearsightedness. Just don't want to mess up my eyes further and want it confirmed by Boots, as well as if someone here has any tips or suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Last edited by smipsy; 14-09-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Page 1
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 15th Sep 18, 5:41 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:41 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:41 AM
    I had the same dilemma. In the end I trusted my judgement and didn't buy the glasses. Im fine
    I cant help thinking that the aim of these opticians is to sell you a pair of glasses
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 15th Sep 18, 6:10 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:10 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:10 AM
    I wouldn’t trust a chain with my eyes. Go to an independent if you want an eye test.
    Not wearing glasses will not make your eyes deteriorate any further.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    I wouldnít trust a chain with my eyes. Go to an independent if you want an eye test.
    Not wearing glasses will not make your eyes deteriorate any further.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Yes I agree..........
    An independent is the way to go.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 15th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    Those are very small values, maybe even close to what they can measure. I am -0.5 and -1.5 sph with 0.5 cyl (astigmatism correction). The latter is tiny, so 0.25 is insignificant. You could buy a cheap simple lens from eBay with -0.25 diopter and see if it improves your vision at all. If it does, buy glasses, if not, donít.

As to how good SpecSavers are, it depends. They are a franchise, and they vary. I had an eye test and glasses from a local indie and an eye test from SpecSavers, and got the same results. However, the indie gave me more tests including one where I had to detect flashes of light in various locations on a screen. The aim was to test for damage to specific areas of the retina. They also used a tool to examine the retina in detail. They found minor and insignificant damage to the retina consistent with my mother having an infection during pregnancy (not uncommon), and they also detected very early stage cataracts. All in all the indie did a much more thorough examination of both eyes. Was it necessary? Maybe, maybe not, but the indie would I assume be able to detect eye related illnesses before they became obvious, so I think I will go to the indie for my next set of glasses. I went to SpecSavers for contact lenses.

Incidentally SpecSavers are not bad at all. I once received glasses only to find they were useless. They re-examined my eyes and found that one had changed. They checked that eye and found wood splinters in the cornea, causing it to swell, booked an appointment at the hospital, and that same day I had the splinters removed under general anaesthetic. They did not charge for replacement lenses. My prescription is now back to what it was, more or less. In that case SpecSavers were excellent.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 15th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 10,562 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    As a layman but almost lifelong myope, id pay good money to have those values. IMHO you dont need specs. Stay away from long sessions on screened devices.

If you must use screen devices, get a daylight bulb for the room and have it on. As the name suggests, daylight bulbs emulate daylight.

I always use my independent optometrist. I avoid chains.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 15th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 12,027 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    I wouldn't dispense that prescription unless the patient is telling me they're having problems which you are. You can help your "tiredness" by cutting down on time in front of a screen (if you work with VDU you should try 20-20-20, every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds).

Chances are you'll benefit from getting a bit of heat on your eye lids. Don't buy anything fancy just yet but get a clean face cloth, steep it in hot water, rinse out and when it's warm but not too warm place over your eyes for 5 minutes in the evening. This will release oils from the glands around your eyes and help with strain related to dry eye and blepharitis. Most people will develop blepharitis with age.

If these methods don't work then try the glasses. Wearing glasses with your own prescription will not cause a deterioration in your vision.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • smipsy
    • By smipsy 17th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    smipsy
    • 17th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 17th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    Thanks everybody. I have received 0.00 on both eyes from boots (for everyone interested, boots also had more tests on my eyes than specsavers, so i'd definitely recommend them), so I have decided that there's nothing wrong with my eyes that would warrant glasses. thanks for the votes of support!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 18th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 6,728 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 18th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    • 18th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    It can vary so much, even between branches of the same chain. I'd always suggest going by friends/neighbours' personal recommendation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,679Posts Today

8,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin