Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Thewaldron5
    • By Thewaldron5 14th Sep 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Help either universal credit or housing benefit
    • #1
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:10 PM
    Help either universal credit or housing benefit 14th Sep 18 at 9:10 PM
    Seeking help. My husband is self employed and i work 20 hours a week due to mental health ( ie i cant work too many hours because of low energy levels cos of meds).
    We have 2 children under 16. My husband broke is heel bone in half this week and has been " signed off " for 6 weeks minimum. We claim working and child tax credits.. but want to claim housing and council tax benefit, however they are rolling out universal credit in our area. When i do a search online with a benefits calculator its says were not entitled to anything because i earn 560 ever 4 weeks.. im really worried that we wont be able to claim housing and council tax benefit
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 14th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,353 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:43 PM
    If you're in a universal credit area you'd have to come off tax credits and go on UC. You wouldn't be able to go back on tax credits when you no longer need help with housing. If the calculator has said that your earnings are too high for UC then it's probably not worth claiming, especially as you'd have to wait five weeks for payment anyway.

    Council tax support is separate to UC, you should be able to apply for that through your council. I don't know if you'd be entitled to any.

    Have you put your details into ? That's the best place to start to find out what your situation is.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 15th Sep 18, 5:20 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    • #3
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:20 AM
    • #3
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:20 AM
    the decision is not just based on your 560 4 weekly wage - will take tax credits into account as well.

    if you are in a FULL SERVICE AREA for UC, then you need to apply through there. if it is still LIVE ONLY AREA, you may still be able to claim HB.

    will you be entitled? as a rough idea only:
    work out ALL income from tax credits and wages (not child benefit) into a weekly figure
    subtract 260 (rough applicable amount)
    you need to pay 65% towards your rent and 20% towards council tax.

    so if you weekly income is 300, your figure would be 300 - 260 = 40. 8 paid to council tax and 26 paid to rent. If your rent is more than this amount, then you should be able to claim

    again, this is a ROUGH calculation and wont take into effect DLA, PIP childcare, under occupation, LHA or HB either

    best to use the calculator for more information
    pop your post code into to see the service of UC in your area
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,056Posts Today

5,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin