Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 14th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    • 187Posts
    • 121Thanks
    Sweetcake
    HR and earning potential
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:08 PM
    HR and earning potential 14th Sep 18 at 10:08 PM
    Heya, is there anyone here who works in HR that I can talk to about your role, career potential and earning potential please? I work in a slightly related role and would like to pursue as my next move
Page 1
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 14th Sep 18, 11:55 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:55 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:55 PM
    Weren't you keen on being a financial adviser a few weeks ago...? I seem to remember a lot of posts about it.
    • bethwilliams95
    • By bethwilliams95 15th Sep 18, 12:03 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bethwilliams95
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:03 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:03 AM
    My husband completed a degree in Business and human resource management. He worked in HR for around 4 years after his degree.... he couldn’t progress any further from admin unless he completed his CIPD which if your lucky your employer will pay otherwise it cost.... he moved into another admin roll within the same company, they then allowed him to move half way across the country to a lower level job working within the companies pharmacy as a dispenser, and now within a year he has been promoted to assistant manager.... basically my story is despite him getting a 2:1 at uni, he couldn’t progress within his career without further expensive development and technically his degree isn’t overly important in his current job( in his opinion). He was also a lot more stressed in the HR adminjob than he is an assistant manager....

Obviously everyone’s journey and expereicne is different but this is the one I’ve witnessed.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Sep 18, 4:09 PM
    • 5,455 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:09 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:09 PM
    Career and earning potential is similar to other business support roles, such as IT, finance, etc. Assuming you work in London I'd expect entry level roles to be around the 20k mark, the more standard roles 40k-50k, senior roles earning 60k-70k all the way up to director role earning up to anything really, certainly 6 figures. Outside of London obviously less. The salary is certainly good enough so it depends if it's a career you actually want. If you haven't got a passion for it find something else.
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 15th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Sweetcake
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    Weren't you keen on being a financial adviser a few weeks ago...? I seem to remember a lot of posts about it.
    Originally posted by Marcon
    Yes that's right, I have a few interests actually, and can enquire about more than one and explore my options
    Last edited by Sweetcake; 15-09-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 16th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    I'd recommend getting associated experience as a start ( sounds like you may already have). I am CIPD qualified but so far no offers of an HR role because I don't have direct HR experience. It definitely seems a chicken and egg career to get into unless you can afford to take a very low paid entry job and then work up. I'm nearly 40 so applying for a very junior position is not only not financially appealing for me but Im not sure how many companies would want an older office junior!
    My opinion would be don't waste money doing CIPD until you get the experience.
    Once you are in, there is definitely opportunity for career progression. If you get up to HR director level you can be looking at 6 figures.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,246Posts Today

8,626Users online

Martin's Twitter