Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 14th Sep 18, 9:42 PM
    • 279Posts
    • 307Thanks
    Fusspot
    Roasting bags - how to stop the mess on the baking trayI
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:42 PM
    Roasting bags - how to stop the mess on the baking trayI 14th Sep 18 at 9:42 PM
    I've started using roasting bags for my chicken breasts and I love how moist it makes the chicken, far better than just putting in straight on the baking tray (comes out dry).

The problem is that the bags make a mess of my baking tray, stick to it and I can't get it off. Tonight I used a Pyrex dish instead and its done the same thing - its now ruined.

Any ideas on what to use for this?
Page 1
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 14th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    I've started using roasting bags for my chicken breasts and I love how moist it makes the chicken, far better than just putting in straight on the baking tray (comes out dry).

The problem is that the bags make a mess of my baking tray, stick to it and I can't get it off. Tonight I used a Pyrex dish instead and its done the same thing - its now ruined.

Any ideas on what to use for this?
    Originally posted by Fusspot
    I always foil my baking trays and dishes.
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 14th Sep 18, 9:48 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Fusspot
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:48 PM
    Thank you, I will try this.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 14th Sep 18, 10:29 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:29 PM
    I agree, line with foil, then just wrap up and pop in the bin.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    For some reason, I just don't get on very well with things cooked in 'roasting bags' . I like to turn my chicken onto the breast to start it off and find that, when it 'sits' in the roasting bag, the underneath can be rather wet/soggy.

Occasionally, I'll buy one in a roasting bag IF I see it on 'whoopsie' ...................... but it gets taken out for cooking - usually in the Halogen Oven .
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 15th Sep 18, 1:22 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:22 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:22 PM
    I use greaseproof paper to line my baking trays .. use it for everything from cakes to roast dinners and my baking trays don't get marked at all ...
    tends to be cheaper than foil too
    oct gc - 190/200
    Nov gc - 155/250

wading through the treacle of life!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 15th Sep 18, 1:34 PM
    • 11,517 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:34 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:34 PM
    Why are they sticking?

I never have this problem when I use them.

Are you cooking at too high a temperature perhaps?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Sep 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6,641 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    Farway
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:43 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:43 PM
    Why are they sticking?

I never have this problem when I use them.

Are you cooking at too high a temperature perhaps?
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I also wondered why sticking?

I don't use bags unless, like Ollie, I see one YS, but they never stick, which I thought was the one of the purposes of using bags, keeping the oven / roasting dish clean
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    I just don't like the 'wetness' of the underneath of the chicken cooked in the Roasting Bag.

My Halogen Oven is so easily cleaned (plus no 'warm-up time'), that it's my preferred method of roasting a chicken - UNLESS I'm doing a 'full roast dinner' that needs the main oven heating up ................. then I use a 'chicken basting/roasting dish' that I bought in Wilkos around 10yrs ago! This kind of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/roaster-with-lid
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6,641 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    Farway
    Bring back chicken bricks
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 16th Sep 18, 11:51 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Fusspot
    I didn't think about the heat being too high. I do tend to overcook chicken as I am paranoid about it. I like the roasting bags because it makes the chicken taste more moist than just putting it straight onto the baking tray.

I have a table top oven and it does get pretty hot so may I need to turn the temperature down, thanks for the tip. The bag is always burnt to a shrivel when I take it out of the oven.

I'll also try the foil and greaseproof paper.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 16th Sep 18, 4:41 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 23,895 Thanks
    csarina2
    I use roasting bags all the time, it sounds as though you are cooking the chicken at too high a temperature, my bags never burn like that. I get them from Wilko's. I have had an occasional one leak, but if that happens I soak the pan in hot water with washing up liquid, it soon washes off using one of the sponge dish mops with the scrubber pad on. Do not forget to make small slits in the top of the bag so it does not burst, you need to let the steam out otherwise it blows up like a balloon and will eventually burst and spray the oven.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 16th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    My Halogen Oven is so easily cleaned (plus no 'warm-up time'), that it's my preferred method of roasting a chicken - UNLESS I'm doing a 'full roast dinner' that needs the main oven heating up ................. then I use a 'chicken basting/roasting dish' that I bought in Wilkos around 10yrs ago! This kind of thing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/roaster-with-lid
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    oven ..

I miss my halogen oven .. it conked out a couple of years ago and ive never got round to getting another - I do miss it as I seem to have the electric oven on constantly lately and its a pretty rubbish one (rented house) ... chickens roast beautifully in a halogen oven!!
    oct gc - 190/200
    Nov gc - 155/250

wading through the treacle of life!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 16th Sep 18, 5:34 PM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 34,067 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I didn't think about the heat being too high. I do tend to overcook chicken as I am paranoid about it. I like the roasting bags because it makes the chicken taste more moist than just putting it straight onto the baking tray.

I have a table top oven and it does get pretty hot so may I need to turn the temperature down, thanks for the tip. The bag is always burnt to a shrivel when I take it out of the oven.

I'll also try the foil and greaseproof paper.
    Originally posted by Fusspot
    I was always worried about cooking/reheating chicken etc, but managed to find a Thermopen digital thermometer at a very good price on A*azon, they discount the last few of less popular colours to clear stock sometimes, mine was bought 2 years ago and cost 24, but its equivalent is now 36. It is by far the best kitchen purchase I have bought in a long time and it is is used regularly by OH and me, it comes with a chart showing the appropriate temperatures, which is great as I have a rubbish memory these days.

ETA - I did stalk them for quite a while before I found a good price.
    Last edited by maddiemay; 16-09-2018 at 5:35 PM. Reason: additional info.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 16th Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Fusspot
    I use roasting bags all the time, it sounds as though you are cooking the chicken at too high a temperature, my bags never burn like that. I get them from Wilko's. I have had an occasional one leak, but if that happens I soak the pan in hot water with washing up liquid, it soon washes off using one of the sponge dish mops with the scrubber pad on. Do not forget to make small slits in the top of the bag so it does not burst, you need to let the steam out otherwise it blows up like a balloon and will eventually burst and spray the oven.
    Originally posted by csarina2
    I use the Wilko ones too. I never think to pierce them. How long do you cook the chicken for? I just cook breasts, one at a time, am always paranoid about chicken not being cooked enough. My bags do burn to a cinder and the plastic sticks to the tray, makes a right mess of it.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 16th Sep 18, 7:37 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    There is your answer then

Buy a whole chicken, it says on the label how long to cook for. Pre-heat your oven for 10 minutes or so to the mark on the label. Lay foil over your baking tray enough to gather over the top of the chicken and roll down to make at tent.

Pop in the oven for 10 minutes longer than it says on the label. To check piece the skin with a knife and press against the skin, the liquid running over the knife should be clear. I've used this method for year and it has never not been clear.

Portion up and freeze.

Defrost overnight in the fridge and eat cold if you are worried about re-heating.

Perfectly safe to re-heat. I make a batch of bisto, pour over and re-heat for 30 minutes at gas mark 6.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,816Posts Today

8,401Users online

Martin's Twitter