Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 14th Sep 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,428Posts
    • 18,213Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    Loft AND basement conversion
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:21 PM
    Loft AND basement conversion 14th Sep 18 at 9:21 PM
    Has anyone had both their loft and basement converted please?

What are the fire requirements regarding staircases, doors and partitions? The house has otherwise a ground floor and first floor
    2017: BFG blueray; designer lampshade set; theatre tickets x 2 lots: a holiday to Yorkshire; record player; Beatrix Potter gift set; family tickets to Leeds Castle
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 25,765 Posts
    • 69,767 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    This is a big subject for a small post!

Fire doors throughout the house, an escape route that is entirely protected by said fire doors from each room to the exit door. A sprinkler system could be acceptable if the protected escape can't be maintained.

Mains wired smoke alarms where required and windows/doors of a suitable height and opening for escape in your new rooms.

You need 2 metres of headheight at the top of the loft stairs, 190cm in the middle if there's a slope.

There's more, but you asked about fire.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 18,213 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    Thank you! Yes it is a big topic isn’t it!

We have already got a basement conversion and stairs leading up therefore to the ground floor.

These are not fully enclosed - ie the fire door is at the bottom and the stairs then go up and there is a rail about half way that owns out in the corridor upstairs. Before we did this work, the door was at the top of the cellar stairs and the whole thing was more enclosed.

If we do a loft conversion, will we be expected to re-enclose the cellar stairs? It’s really unclear in the building regs - looking at the bit for a effectively three storey. House (with our cellar) turning into a four storey (with the loft).

I’m just wondering if anyone has done both conversions as online most pages talk about either doing one or the other, and how your stairs are arranged!

Bit of a niche question I know but hopefully someone can help!!
    2017: BFG blueray; designer lampshade set; theatre tickets x 2 lots: a holiday to Yorkshire; record player; Beatrix Potter gift set; family tickets to Leeds Castle
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 33,546 Posts
    • 39,645 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    Will the loft have dormers or roof velux ?

I'm sure there's different regs for either of those
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 25,765 Posts
    • 69,767 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:55 AM
    If my experience is anything to go by, they look at the whole house and are more stringent with four storeys than three.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 25,765 Posts
    • 69,767 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    Will the loft have dormers or roof velux ?

I'm sure there's different regs for either of those
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Regs are the same; height of cill and area of opening for egress.

Only one window in each room needs to comply exactly.
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 15th Sep 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 18,213 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:28 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:28 AM
    No dormers just a Velux window.

My main query is about what has to be done to the staircases in the house to make them fire safe and whether at least one tends to be fully enclosed as opposed to open plan
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Sep 18, 10:55 AM
    • 25,765 Posts
    • 69,767 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:55 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:55 AM
    No dormers just a Velux window.

My main query is about what has to be done to the staircases in the house to make them fire safe and whether at least one tends to be fully enclosed as opposed to open plan
    Originally posted by thetoothfairy
    If you want it open plan, they will want a fire engineer's report and a sprinkler system designed.
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 15th Sep 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 18,213 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:03 AM
    Ok thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

482Posts Today

6,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin