Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 14th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    squidge1
    Question
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    Question 14th Sep 18 at 8:27 PM
    Why do some members of this forum recommend that you ignore the fine, letters threats etc and others say you must appeal??
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 19,880 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    nobody on here tells anyone to IGNORE a pcn, we always, repeat ALWAYS tell them to appeal the pcn if its in England & Wales (not Scotland)

its the debt collector letters we tell them to IGNORE

NOBODY RECEIVES A "FINE" FROM A PRIVATE PARKING COMPANY,

they receive an INVOICE
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Sep 18, 8:32 PM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,923 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:32 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:32 PM
    Why do some members of this forum recommend that you ignore the fine, letters threats etc and others say you must appeal??
    Originally posted by squidge1
    Name and 'shame' then we can deal with this.

Exactly how many threads have you read to reach this conclusion? Just link them here so we can read them (I think with 15 posts, you have enough under your belt to do so).
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 14-09-2018 at 8:36 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Sep 18, 8:36 PM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 11,017 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:36 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:36 PM
    Here's another interesting question...

Why do some posters on this forum start a new thread whenever they think of a new question?

It really would help if we could find the answer to that.

The OP now has three threads about this one incident.
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 14th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    This wasn't about the incident - I just wanted that question cleared up - you guys are obviously experts in this - but the advice also seems to come with a huge dose of criticism. Once again apologies!
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 14th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 3,591 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    we get our fair share of visiting trolls ....

so please excuse the probing questions .....

you can help us correct any errors by pointing out the posts/ thread that you refer to ...

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    If you stick to one thread you will be fine. We are just too busy to have more than one thread on this forum from the same poster, even if it's just a question.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 25th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 25th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    You asked this on the NEWBIES thread, which isn't the place for queries so I will answer it here on your thread:

Just looking at appeal template and query this part

Your signage terms fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence of the parking charge, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis, which is fully distinguished.

Appealing on basis of long term disability of owner/keeper of car.
    You are hopefully not just appealing on the basis of disability. Almost no PPC would allow that. Which parking firm? Some cancel as soon as they see the NEWBIES template, and signage is ALWAYS an issue for the keeper to include.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 26th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    • 26th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 26th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    Dear C-M, I was appealing just on the basis of disability - but you say that they will refuse this. The company is UKPC. Thank you for this reply as I would not have known this - I have read loads on this forum but couldn't find something that related to my dilemma. Making me think I should not appeal and ignore.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 26th Sep 18, 10:37 PM
    • 19,880 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    Redx
    the rule is

appeal once , then IGNORE , if its an IPC firm

for BPA firms, its appeal once, then appeal to popla

and ALWAYS appeal to the landowner or retailer or business

as for disability, the EA2010 covers that so is considered to be a separate issue , hence why parking companies and popla and the IPC ignore it
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 26th Sep 18, 11:19 PM
    • 12,990 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Have you perhaps been reading old threads or threads for people in scotland (and I believe NI but might be wrong on that)?

The advice pre-POFA was to ignore - and that is why the advice in scotland is still to ignore. Because POFA doesn't apply in scotland and therefore theres no mechanism to transfer liability to the keeper (unless they inadvertently reveal they were the driver).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 29th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    Ea2010
    Thanks Redx

Probably being a bit thick here - so the company is BPA - I am appealing on grounds of disability (with medical evidence) I contacted the retailer who didn't want to know. If I read this correctly, UKPC will refuse and Popla will refuse - so is there any point of appealing. I looked up EA2010 - at what point do I use the Equalities Act and is there an example of this on the Forum? Many thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Sep 18, 2:57 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    so the company is BPA
    No it's not, it's UKPC.

I am appealing on grounds of disability (with medical evidence)
    NO YOU ARE NOT, UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE.

If it is a windscreen PCN, appeal on DAY 26 ONLINE, as keeper, using the template.
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 29th Sep 18, 3:03 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    OK - So this template is a one size fits all - if rejected, would Popla then query parking on disabled?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 29th Sep 18, 3:24 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    waamo
    If they don't fold on seeing the template then you use recent winning POPLA appeals to use as a framework to craft your own.

You will win at POPLA using legal points such as none compliance with POFA or incorrect signage amongst other things.

Have you bothered to read the Newbies thread as all this is explained in it?
    This space for hire.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    • 63,872 Posts
    • 76,517 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK - So this template is a one size fits all - if rejected, would Popla then query parking on disabled?
    You will deal with POPLA differently, like we always do.

Is it a windscreen PCN and are you at day 26 yet? Diarise it.
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 29th Sep 18, 3:34 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    Appeal day would be 5th Oct - Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 29th Sep 18, 3:40 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 9,478 Thanks
    pogofish
    I have read loads on this forum but couldn't find something that related to my dilemma.
    This is the fundamental mistake you are making - PPCs don't actually care!

So in the vast majority of cases, fact-based appeals not only fail, they also play straight into the PPC's hands by providing info that they can further use against you at later stage, eg if it goes to court.
    • squidge1
    • By squidge1 4th Oct 18, 9:03 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    squidge1
    So the appeal date is tomorrow - I have used the template (thank you) and I see on the invoice it says if there is any evidence to submit that too. I have medical evidence - is it recommended to submit tomorrow and add why in the appeal? I have had replies saying they don't take any notice of mitigating circumstances. Please don't reply to this if you are going to be rude! Thank you
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 4th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Please don't reply to this if you are going to be rude! Thank you
    It is very difficult not to be when you have opened 5 threads on the same issue and expect people to switch between them.

"Evidence" is only evidence IF it is relevant and you've been told it isn't.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

2,410Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin