Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phil_b
    • By phil_b 14th Sep 18, 7:38 PM
    • 947Posts
    • 1,546Thanks
    phil_b
    Position the dishwasher away from the sink?
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:38 PM
    Position the dishwasher away from the sink? 14th Sep 18 at 7:38 PM
    Hi all,

What are your thoughts on the dishwasher being on the opposite side of the room to the sink and glasses cupboard?

The distance would be approx 3.5 meters. In other words, a 7 meter round trip back and forth to unload glasses/dishes and place them in their cupboard.

Not ideal I know, but I'm really struggling to find a spot for the dishwasher next to the sink in my layout. Finding one means a compromise in general size/use of space which I don't like.

Would like to hear if anyone else has a similar setup (or has had one in the past) and how much of an issue it was.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:39 PM
    You can get a cold water supply and drain pipe to it that far away?
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 11,265 Posts
    • 24,174 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    You can get a cold water supply and drain pipe to it that far away?
    Originally posted by Lorian

Just thinking the same.
    • phil_b
    • By phil_b 14th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    phil_b
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    Yea, at one end would be the sink, at the other would be dishwasher and washing machine. Both with cold supply and plumbed in to main drain.

At the moment the room has no floor. It will be getting a solid floor soon, and we need to run the various services (water etc). There can be multiple 'wet zones', but ultimately, having the dishwasher next to the sink means chopping in to the dining space and squeezing the 'flow' of the kitchen/diner.

That make sense??
    • phil_b
    • By phil_b 14th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    phil_b
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    Which is better - a more open flowing kitchen/diner space, or having dishwasher next to sink and glasses cupboard?

Hard to visualise I know.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    I don't care about the sink but I'd like the dishwasher near the cupboards (most of) the stuff is destined for. So just store the stuff in the cupboards near the dishwasher, wherever that is.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Sep 18, 9:07 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:07 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:07 PM
    I wouldn't contemplate having a dishwasher a distance from the sink.

You put a pan in the sink filled with water to soak, you tip the water out and put the pan in the dishwasher. You rinse the plates before you put them in. You keep the dishwashing powder or capsules or whatever in the cupboard under the sink.

I'm struggling to see how having a dishwasher under the sink or draining board could affect the general flow of the kitchen - presumably you'd be having some sort of cupboard under there if you're not having the dishwasher there?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,163 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    Mine is three cupboards away from my sink and on another wall and I wouldn't go any further then that

I did have to go for a slimline and with my perfectly good full size one to get it in but with just three of us, the slimline is adequate
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Sep 18, 7:38 AM
    • 14,785 Posts
    • 20,026 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:38 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:38 AM
    Agree with Trailingspouse. When I load the dishwasher, I often have to tip the remains of drinks out of cups, mugs and glasses down the sink before I put them in the dishwasher. I wouldn't want to have to walk backwards and forwards across the kitchen to do it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 18, 7:51 AM
    • 17,128 Posts
    • 43,192 Thanks
    elsien
    Siblings is the same distance away from the sink as you are planning in their utility room. Never really noticed an issue and it doesn't seem to bother them. Empty the cups, wait till you've got a handful, carry them a few steps further.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 15th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Jonesya
    If you put the dishwasher near the sink, its next to the dirty/soaked items waiting to be loaded, but further from the cupboards. Convenient for loading dirty items, inconvenient for unloading the clean items.

If you put it near the cupboards, the dishwasher is further from the sink and draining board, so having to carry dirty/wet items over to the dishwasher. Inconvenient for loading, convenient for unloading.

Either way, whichever you chose isn't end of the world.

Personally, I prefer carrying clean items back to the cupboard than having to move dirty, wet rinsed or soaked items from the draining board to dishwasher.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    When I load the dishwasher, I often have to tip the remains of drinks out of cups, mugs and glasses down the sink before I put them in the dishwasher.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Tip them into the dishwasher.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 15th Sep 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    giraffe69
    When the dishwasher gets blocked (as they do from time to time) I'd much rather be near the sink.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 16th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,512 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    adandem
    Tip them into the dishwasher.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Then the dw starts to smell if you're not putting it on straight away.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 16th Sep 18, 12:06 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    rach_k
    If you get a decent dishwasher, you won't need to rinse plates so as long as you can put a food waste bin near the dishwasher I think it would be fine.

I'd put the cupboards with glasses, crockery etc somewhere in between the dishwasher and sink. Even if you don't though, 7m is not a long way unless you have mobility issues or are really really lazy.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Sep 18, 12:42 PM
    • 33,060 Posts
    • 19,931 Thanks
    getmore4less
    My glasses cupboard is in a different room.

Why can't the sink be moved.?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,567Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter