Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JayTee130
    • By JayTee130 14th Sep 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JayTee130
    Company requesting second payment after service already purchased
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:24 PM
    Company requesting second payment after service already purchased 14th Sep 18 at 7:24 PM
    Issue:
    I recently sent a ring i had purchaced off to be engraved. At the store, the staff member sent off details about the ring, and what was to be engraved.
    The ring is a double band linked ring (two rings linked together). The cashier stated that this would be put through as a single item, and I was charged for the engraving service for a single item.
    After ringing the store on the pick up date declared for the ring to be collected, i was informed that the ring was to be delayed. I was also informed that I would have to pay a second time, as the ring design is counted as two seperatre items.
    I had already paid for the service at the store, and was given a recipt, and a proof of purchace identifying the engraving sevice provided.

Question:
    Am I legaly required to pay a second time, even though I was origionaly told a different price, and had paid at that price?

Store:
    H. Samuel

Payment Method:
    Debit Card
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 16,067 Posts
    • 22,095 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    Issue:
    I recently sent a ring i had purchaced off to be engraved. At the store, the staff member sent off details about the ring, and what was to be engraved.
    The ring is a double band linked ring (two rings linked together). The cashier stated that this would be put through as a single item, and I was charged for the engraving service for a single item.
    After ringing the store on the pick up date declared for the ring to be collected, i was informed that the ring was to be delayed. I was also informed that I would have to pay a second time, as the ring design is counted as two seperatre items.
    I had already paid for the service at the store, and was given a recipt, and a proof of purchace identifying the engraving sevice provided.

Question:
    Am I legaly required to pay a second time, even though I was origionaly told a different price, and had paid at that price?

Store:
    H. Samuel

Payment Method:
    Debit Card
    Originally posted by JayTee130
    No. They quoted a price, you accepted, you paid, and the ring was sent off.

I would be asking for the engraving to be done at the agreed price, or the ring to be returned and a full refund given.

(I'm assuming they have not done the ingraving yet...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • JayTee130
    • By JayTee130 14th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JayTee130
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    The engraving has been completed, and is en-route back to the store.

Does this change the outcome?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Sep 18, 11:01 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    waamo
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:01 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:01 PM
    How much are we talking about? Ultimately they have your ring and if it's only a couple of quid then regardless of the rights or wrongs of it the pragmatic solution would be to pay them.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
    This space for hire.
    • JayTee130
    • By JayTee130 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JayTee130
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    £40 give or take

Not an amount that I really want to part with if I shouldn’t have to
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 16,067 Posts
    • 22,095 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    The engraving has been completed, and is en-route back to the store.

Does this change the outcome?
    Originally posted by JayTee130
    It means they agreed the price and have done the work.

The cannot demand more money.

They need to give you the ring back.

It was their mistake so they need to take the loss.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Sep 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:28 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:28 AM
    At £40 I'm inclined to think this is a battle I would chose to take up.

If they weren't happy to do it at the agreed price then they shouldn't have done it.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,648Posts Today

8,042Users online

Martin's Twitter