Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 14th Sep 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 772Thanks
    fishybusiness
    Reducing Hours - Effect on Tax Credits
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:29 PM
    Reducing Hours - Effect on Tax Credits 14th Sep 18 at 6:29 PM
    So I've had the news this week that I have come out of remission, boo hoo to that.

I need to reduce my working hours as I am back on chemo tomorrow and I think fatigue is going to cause some issues. Currently I work 24 hours, my partner works 16 and we claim WTC and CTC.

Question is....can I reduce my hours to 16 and still claim WTC? It would allow me to work enough to keep us going, keep most of our customers happy and maintain fairly stable finances.

Last year we came off HB and CTB and really don't want to go back there.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Sep 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:02 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:02 PM
    So sorry to hear this!

If you reduce your working hours it won't stop your claim. Couple with at least 1 child as long as you work at least 24 hours between you (with 1 of you working at least 16 hours) See link. https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Sep 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    _shel
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:43 PM
    Do you get PIP? If not apply https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    Oooh so we can juggle our hours if needed as long as between us we cover the 24 hours - that IS such a relief.

I've read various guides and to be honest at the moment I'm a bit scared of getting it wrong and finding out a year down the line we have an overpayment.

If I have it right, I should re estimate our income for the year 2018/ 19 for Tax Credits, submit it and they will adjust accordingly?

Yes, sorry I didn't say, we have 1 child.

PIP - my other half is reading about it right now, I successfully claimed after the last cell transplant for about 11 months, but that was different, so I am not sure what criteria I could use, I think I'm going to ask for help from Macmillan.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 14th Sep 18, 9:08 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:08 PM
    As poppy said one of you must work at least 16 hours and minimum 24 between you.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:28 PM

PIP - my other half is reading about it right now, I successfully claimed after the last cell transplant for about 11 months, but that was different, so I am not sure what criteria I could use, I think I'm going to ask for help from Macmillan.
    Originally posted by fishybusiness
    Criteria? PIP is about how your conditions affect you and you have ot look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can gain those points, if any. Try the PIP self test, however do bare in mind that it's just guide and not guaranteed that you'll score those points. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 15th Sep 18, 12:26 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:26 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:26 AM
    Oooh so we can juggle our hours if needed as long as between us we cover the 24 hours - that IS such a relief.

I've read various guides and to be honest at the moment I'm a bit scared of getting it wrong and finding out a year down the line we have an overpayment.

If I have it right, I should re estimate our income for the year 2018/ 19 for Tax Credits, submit it and they will adjust accordingly?

Yes, sorry I didn't say, we have 1 child.

Originally posted by fishybusiness
    Hi, Sorry for jumping in on your post, as you say its a relief, and there are various sites/ guides, benefits rules change alot these days.

Even though you think you know the answer its nice to have it confirmed by the good and knowledgeable people on here
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 16th Sep 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    • 16th Sep 18, 6:52 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 6:52 PM
    Even though you think you know the answer its nice to have it confirmed by the good and knowledgeable people on here
    It is, and there are angles I haven't thought about that others have brought up.

Re the one person working 16 hours, yes I knew that but in my planning mayhem I had forgotten. After a couple of days of treatment I have rethought my strategy, I'm going down to 8 hours a week, I may not be able to do much more for a while.

The PIP criteria doesn't seem to give me enough points, but.....I do feel sometimes it is difficult to see ones own difficulties and I have requested an appointment with Macmillan for help with applying.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,528Posts Today

8,074Users online

Martin's Twitter