Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tir21
    • By tir21 14th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    • 978Posts
    • 182Thanks
    tir21
    current accounts that require 2 direct debits
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    current accounts that require 2 direct debits 14th Sep 18 at 6:10 PM
    i have lloyds classic vantage and others like it - and had the two required dd's set up to go to two tesco savings accounts in my name. Tesco have now prevented these accounts being used for this purpose. is there anyway of setting up dd's without paying merchants. I haven't got enough dd's for all the accounts i have to move money from.

why do bank make this dd stipulation?
    Last edited by tir21; 14-09-2018 at 6:12 PM.
Page 1
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 14th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    I think they make the stipulation to try and retain/expand your business because they don't want to be coughing up a load in interest in return for nothing. That said, Lloyds doesn't pay interest on that account type any more - do you really need to retain it?

Anyway, I think the Post Office Savings accounts can be funded by Direct Debit and so can Birmingham Midshires savings accounts. By all accounts you can also fund a Paypal account by Direct Debit - but some forum users seem to have difficulty setting those up - I can't pass comment because I don't have a PayPal account.
    • WillChronology
    • By WillChronology 14th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    WillChronology
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:12 PM
    Using a direct debit to fund a PayPal account is an excellent idea. I need to look into that.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 14th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:30 PM
    Using a direct debit to fund a PayPal account is an excellent idea. I need to look into that.
    Originally posted by WillChronology

Please don't ask the forum to help you set it up. Another user has tried that and doesn't appear to have succeeded
    • WillChronology
    • By WillChronology 14th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    WillChronology
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    I'm happy to look into it myself. If I can't figure it out, then it's too much hassle
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 14th Sep 18, 9:35 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:35 PM
    Post office savings.

Another one is vanguard investments as long as its to your cash account

Birmingham midshires savings also
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 14th Sep 18, 9:40 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Bacman
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:40 PM
    You can use charities for 1 a month. Some require minimum payments of more than that however there are a few that are happy with 1 a month each. I set some of those up a while back myself. That way you can easily set up direct debits without impacting on your real ones.

As I remember, places like Asthma UK, Cancer Research, Guide Dogs, PDSA were some I used. It isn't hard to Google for charities and then see what their minimum debit amount is.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 15th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    Post office savings.

Another one is vanguard investments as long as its to your cash account

Birmingham midshires savings also
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Mentioned Birmingham Midshires in an earlier post and don't forget people, if you have a Bham Mshires savings account and make faster payments to them, their banking details will be changing from tomorrow to:-

Sort Code 30-02-51
    Account No 06968870
    Ref - your existing a/c no.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,063Users online

Martin's Twitter