Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boomshaka
    • By boomshaka 14th Sep 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    boomshaka
    Compensation Claim for Bank Exposing Balance to Colleague
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:25 PM
    Compensation Claim for Bank Exposing Balance to Colleague 14th Sep 18 at 5:25 PM
    Hello. Hoping someone with a bit of knowledge or similar experience could share their thoughts.

My bank exposed my bank balance and the details of 4 transactions I had made to a former colleague of mine.
    I changed my mobile phone number, but they did not change it in all systems. About 1 month later one of these systems sent an SMS to my old number, which was now in use by a former colleague.
    Obviously this has been incredibly embarrassing since that colleague could see exactly how much (or little ) money I had in my account.

I have been offered 250 compensation for the distress, and have been assured that the issue has been fixed. I don't really know how I feel about this offer...
    On the one hand it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial, though on the other I'm typically not the sort of person who goes around looking for "freebies" or a hand out. But more importantly I don't know what I am ENTITLED to, if such an entitlement is indeed stipulated somewhere.

If I rejected this offer and went to the Ombudsman, would I be likely to be awarded something more substantial? Or is 250 fairly typical in these issues?

Thank you for any insight.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 14th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:40 PM
    You've suffered no actual loss, so 250 seems very generous to me.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 14th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    Very generous, also you may have broken work usage rules with using your works' mobile for personal business.
    • pinkdalek
    • By pinkdalek 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    pinkdalek
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    Take the 250 and grow up.

What else do you want? A pound of their flesh?
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 14th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    Technically, you're entitled to compensation for distress caused by breach of GDPR. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle. The 250 seems fair.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    But more importantly I don't know what I am ENTITLED to, if such an entitlement is indeed stipulated somewhere.
    Originally posted by boomshaka
    Nothing at all.

Banks will often offer something, but they're not obliged to.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    • 25,173 Posts
    • 12,430 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Would it not have been YOUR responsibility to take out the SIM card from the old phone?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    Technically, you're entitled to compensation for distress caused by breach of GDPR.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    No, you aren't.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 5,918 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    [QUOTE=boomshaka;74790131] [QUOTE]
    I don't really know how I feel about this offer...
    it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial
    I'm typically not the sort of person who goes around looking for "freebies" or a hand out
    I don't know what I am ENTITLED to
    would I be likely to be awarded something more substantial?
    Humm, OK . .

• Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 14th Sep 18, 8:58 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Ive have received far less when i have suffered actual financial losses due to companies screwing up.

Seems very generous to me
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Sep 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    By colleague you mean work colleague?

So were you using a work mobile and number for personal purposes?

You’re entitled to nothing other than to learn from your own sloppy mistakes
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 14th Sep 18, 9:27 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Did this colleague know that the phone used to be yours? Did the colleague come to you and say, 'I've got a text showing you're flat broke and spending your money in such dodgy places as Sainsbury's and BP (for example)?

Wouldn't they be more likely to think they'd got a text that didn't mean anything to them and just delete it? Why is it so bad for someone else to know you only have x in your account? I only keep about 20 in my current account - everything else is farmed out to savings accounts. I couldn't care less who knows.

Were you really that embarrassed? 250 is a fantastic result for pretty much a non-event (in my eyes). Apologies if you were expecting sympathy and encouragement - although I do agree it shouldn't have happened - I guess that's why banks don't put identifying information in their SMS messages. If you feel you have suffered reputational damage you may want to take it further but, really?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 22,845 Posts
    • 57,338 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I have been offered 250 compensation for the distress ... On the one hand it somehow feels inadequate and I'd have expected something a little more substantial
    Originally posted by boomshaka
    Seriously???

I'd snap their hands off. I think it's very generous.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • colsten
    • By colsten 14th Sep 18, 10:05 PM
    • 9,206 Posts
    • 8,041 Thanks
    colsten
    First world problems.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    What else do you want, red carpet treatment each and every time you visit the bank?!
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 15th Sep 18, 8:07 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I understand the OP might prefer his colleague not to know about the restaurants/theatre/shows/flight he was booking. However, nowadays there are mobile phones which will let you to put two SIM cards with two different numbers in and using company's SIM for personal things is better to avoid. I think the OP is lucky if none of his friends have been calling the colleague trying to reach the OP :-)
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 15th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    kinger101
    No, you aren't.
    Originally posted by Ergates
    Case law has established that distress alone is grounds for compensation when data protection laws have been breached.

Vidal-Hall v Google Inc
    TLT v Secretary of State for the Home Department.
    Last edited by kinger101; 15-09-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 15th Sep 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    soulsaver
    'Grounds' doesn't equal 'Entitled'... other than entitled to ask for.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 15th Sep 18, 11:07 AM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    kinger101
    'Grounds' doesn't equal 'Entitled'... other than entitled to ask for.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    82.1 GDPR

Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 15th Sep 18, 11:22 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    soulsaver
    82.1 GDPR

Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    S/He's already getting compensation and is asking what s/he is entitled to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,906Posts Today

9,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin