Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 14th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,264Posts
    • 3,402Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Contributions based ESA and WRAG
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    Contributions based ESA and WRAG 14th Sep 18 at 5:19 PM
    Hi all

If you are on Contributions based ESA and put in the work related group - how does this affect things?

Does benefit go up or stay same? is it the same for those on income based?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    For new claims, the WRA Group pays the same as the assessment rate. You get a bit more in the Support Group. CB is also limited to one year in the WRAG, but is indefinite if you're in the Support Group.

Income-related is the same in terms of payments, except you can get some extra premiums, free prescriptions, etc. which you don't get on contribution-based. There's no time limits, so you can keep getting it as long as you meet the financial/medical criteria.

You can also get a mix of the two if you meet the criteria for both (contribution-based with an income-based top up).

Bear in mind that in some areas, you'd now need to claim New Style ESA instead of CB ESA and UC instead of income-related ESA.

Randomly chosen overview courtesy of google:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/employment-and-support-allowance/

And the gov site:
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 14-09-2018 at 5:34 PM.
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    Isn't it strange - ESA comes across to me that you get penalised in the contributions based group - penalised for having worked before

however if you have never worked, you get more help?

Am i missing something lol
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    I'm on CB ESA. I don't feel penalised, because having savings makes me feel more secure and I couldn't have them on IR ESA. I think paying for my scrips is worth the trade-off.

Someone on CB ESA with minimal savings, whose partner isn't working, etc. could still potentially claim IR ESA top-ups, or they could use the NHS Low Income Scheme to get help with prescriptions, etc. It's not necessarily either/or.

If I had a working partner/savings and I'd never worked, I'd be entitled to nothing because of the means-testing. If I had a working partner/savings and I'd worked, I'd still be entitled to CB ESA. IR isn't always better.
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 14-09-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Sep 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:41 PM
    Isn't it strange - ESA comes across to me that you get penalised in the contributions based group - penalised for having worked before

however if you have never worked, you get more help?

Am i missing something lol
    Originally posted by pickledonionspaceraider
    Why are they penalised? If you claim CB benefits then other Income isn't counted, for EG a partner that works. Savings/capitol also don't count.. If you were claiming Income related then income like partner working would be counted, as would savings/capital. You can't have it both ways.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    An example of where CB is "better" is inheritance. I've seen a lot of posts on here where someone inherits money and wants to use it to do something fun or pay off debts or pay for their kid's wedding. On CB ESA, they could do that. On IR ESA, they'd be had up for deprivation of capital.
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    Is Op thinking that if they are in CB esa (support group) then transfer to CB wrag group without any income related benefits, would they only be able to stay in the wrag group for 12 months, then nothing?
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 15th Sep 18, 2:49 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:49 PM
    Is Op thinking that if they are in CB esa (support group) then transfer to CB wrag group without any income related benefits, would they only be able to stay in the wrag group for 12 months, then nothing?
    Originally posted by skcollobcat10

I read it the other way around (they're in the assessment phase and want to know what happens if they're placed in the WRAG and whether they'd be better off on IR).
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 15th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    HI there

Just to clarify, and thanks for the responses

Sunny Intervals - Still in assessment phase but on Contributions based as that is all could apply for, as had worked before becoming ill, had major surgery two months ago .t ..had the ESA medical 3 weeks ago and not heard which group. I have no savings or other capital. Literally living week to week

skcollobcat - No not thinking that, not really sure what to think

Poppy - there is no other income. Single person running a house on 71 a week....not expecting anything ''both ways'' .... worked all my life for over 25 years, until earlier this year....currently getting 71 a week , which at least a tenner a week goes on medication. No capital, no savings. Unfortunately have never been able to save (expense of living alone) but always paid bills on time when working. The NHS claim has been sent in this week for free prescriptions etc - so hpefully that will help quite a bit when it comes through

Was asking a genuine question as just looking for the best way forward as I am trying to claim as much as possible as really struggling at the min. Already had to re-home a much loved pet as could not afford and struggling
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 15th Sep 18, 8:11 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Can you try https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

If you're expected to be ill for an extended period, PIP may be an option:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip

You might find there's more help you can receive.
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 15-09-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 15th Sep 18, 10:47 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    calcotti
    You should apply for Council Tax Reduction from your local authority.

If you are renting you should apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit depending on whether or not you are in a full UC area or not https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,198Posts Today

8,656Users online

Martin's Twitter