Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Throwaway1111
    • By Throwaway1111 14th Sep 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Throwaway1111
    Stupid mistake made at 16, now affecting my chances of opening any bank account?
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:41 PM
    Stupid mistake made at 16, now affecting my chances of opening any bank account? 14th Sep 18 at 4:41 PM
    Hello everyone I urgently need advice.

I got involved with something called Ďac scamí when I was 16, Barclays found out and of course had to close my account. I then changed to Natwest to open a basic account at the same age. Two years later, I opened a current with NatWest, 5 days later my account was closed and they refused to tell me why and I think I know now. Luckily I had a metro bank cash account opened at 16 so Iím still able to receive pay from my two jobs.

Now I know about cifas and the 6 year file. I know I made a stupid choice but now for something that I did as a kid should it really affect me for the next crucial 4 years remaining? (Iím 18 now).

I need to know If Iíll be able to remove myself from the blacklist. If not what are my options for say, trying to get a student loan/accounts. How will this affect my relationship with banks and any other helpful information is greatly appreciated

Thank you.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Sep 18, 4:51 PM
    • 18,549 Posts
    • 19,814 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:51 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:51 PM
    Have you checked for CIFAS markers?

If you have one, and it's for fraud, you won't be able to remove it yourself, for obvious reasons.

Stay on the right side of committing fraud from now on (ie the don't commit fraud side) and you'll be good to go when it comes off.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Sep 18, 4:54 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:54 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:54 PM
    Yes it needs to stay as it's a true representation of what happened.

You can contest removal with CIFAS directly but don't expect a positive outcome
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:01 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:01 PM
    It may also prove problematic for when or if you are considering applying for a student loan.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Years of debt
    • By Years of debt 14th Sep 18, 5:07 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Years of debt
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:07 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:07 PM
    Don’t commit the crime if you can’t serve the time.
    Unfortunately simply saying “sorry” won’t cut it. Or everyone who owes money, has committed fraud or simply doesn’t like what they see could just “ask for a new chance”
    Luckily you are 18 and by 22 you will be back on track. Don’t make the same mistakes moving forward.

On the information side you should contact Citizens Advice and explain your situation, as you will need to know how student finance works with loans so on so forth. Not being accepted even for a basic bank account is a clear indication that things will be difficult during the next four years.
    • Throwaway1111
    • By Throwaway1111 14th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Throwaway1111
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    I havenít checked it yet no, but I know I am on the marker because I tried to apply for a Santander current account and they told me because of my past history to fraud they could not accept me.
    • Years of debt
    • By Years of debt 14th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Years of debt
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    Not sure what you think is going to happen?
    You committed fraud. You’re paying the price for it now?
    Like not trying to be mean but what else can you expect?
    • Throwaway1111
    • By Throwaway1111 14th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Throwaway1111
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    I understand what is did was wrong, I’m not saying that it should go unpunished. I’m not sure if you know about this but young teenagers are often targets for this ‘ac scam’ in London as they think is a quick way to get money. I was targeted, my friends were too, and it is still an issue to this day because they don’t know the full consequences of this. Adults target children in secondary schools and many fall for it too easily. I’m not sure why this isn’t a bigger issue. Anyways I’m not trying to excuse myself but I I am trying to fix my problem.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    I understand what is did was wrong, I’m not saying that it should go unpunished... … I’m not trying to excuse myself but I I am trying to fix my problem.
    Originally posted by Throwaway1111
    Have you tried opening an account with a bank such as Monzo?

Edit: Or if Monzo won't take you what about Metro Bank Cash Account?... I don't think you will be able to open a bank account with an ordinary high street bank unfortunately.
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 14-09-2018 at 7:34 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Throwaway1111
    • By Throwaway1111 14th Sep 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Throwaway1111
    I only have my metro cash account because someone told me to open two accounts before I turn 18 just in case ‘something’ happens. I’m so glad I was told to do this
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 5,918 Thanks
    societys child
    I got involved with something called ‘ac scam’ when I was 16, Barclays found out and of course had to close my account.
    So at 16 you didn't know right from wrong?

• Years of debt
    • By Years of debt 14th Sep 18, 8:57 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Years of debt
    Info for “roadmen”
    On AC scam

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=AC%2bMoney&amp=true
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Sep 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10,551 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Now I know about cifas and the 6 year file. I know I made a stupid choice but now for something that I did as a kid should it really affect me for the next crucial 4 years remaining? (Iím 18 now).

Originally posted by Throwaway1111
    Another POV would be that if it was just simply wiped out, that would be an encouragement to go ahead "look you're 16 it will be wiped at 18 even uf they catch you, if you get caught in say a years time, it will be erased in a year from then. So why not go ahead ?"
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Sep 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I feel like my intelligence dropped by about 10% trying to read that garbage. Looks like it was written by someone who never bothered to go to school and doesn't have a clue how banks work. A "hacker" goes into your bank account and sticks a 0 on the end of your total cash and magically you have more money? Do they even know how banks work?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Sep 18, 12:58 PM
    • 15,242 Posts
    • 14,340 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I feel like my intelligence dropped by about 10% trying to read that garbage. Looks like it was written by someone who never bothered to go to school and doesn't have a clue how banks work. A "hacker" goes into your bank account and sticks a 0 on the end of your total cash and magically you have more money? Do they even know how banks work?
    Originally posted by Nasqueron

Yes me too, are banks security systems really that transparent, i think not, as for "roadmen" puffer jackets and nike air trainers, seriously ??
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 15th Sep 18, 2:10 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    Yes me too, are banks security systems really that transparent, i think not, as for "roadmen" puffer jackets and nike air trainers, seriously ??
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Me three; I must have led a very sheltered life, but I didn't understand a word of that.

However, whatever it means doesn't sound very nice and certainly not something any self respecting 16 year old would want to get involved with!!
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 15th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    jimbo26
    Sadly you will need to ride the next 4 years and put it down to experience. Might seem unfair now but that is the reality, and life can be unfair sometimes.
    Last edited by jimbo26; 15-09-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 9:58 PM
    • 10,551 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Sadly you will need to ride the next 4 years and put it down to experience. Might seem unfair now but that is the reality, and life can be unfair sometimes.
    Originally posted by jimbo26

True, but in this case it seems very fair to me.
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Sep 18, 9:27 AM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,985 Thanks
    photome
    Originally posted by jimbo26
    Yes life can be unfair but not in this case
    • welly_59
    • By welly_59 16th Sep 18, 1:35 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    welly_59
    Yes the boy did wrong, heís been caught, and now needs to wait out until cifas marker is removed.

But before you judge and get high and mighty, realise a lot of this is pushed by gangs and itís not always as easy as saying no

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/teenagers-money-laundering-money-mules-criminal-gangs-gangsters-criminals-fraud-a7866151.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

255Posts Today

2,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin