Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roweyfraggle
    • By roweyfraggle 14th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    roweyfraggle
    Removal company Advice
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    Removal company Advice 14th Sep 18 at 4:34 PM
    HI everyone

I recently moved home and during the move the removal men caused so minor damage to my TV.

The stand it sits on has a crack across it. which may have compromised its strength to hold the flat screen up.

I reported it to the removals company that same day and the owner said he would get in touch with his guys and get back to me. I sent over photos and received a reply back.

He was not able to understand how this happened and suggested it could have been "stood on" I explained it had been up against boxes so it was not possible to have been stood on and the removals van had to mount several kerbs as they took the narrowest and most difficult route to the new home so advised i thought it may have cracked on route. I was adament the damage could not have been caused by me regardless of his suggestion.

He said he needed to look up how much a replacement stand would cost and several weeks later (bearing in mind i have paid my invoice for the job so he was clearly in no rush) he came back to me and gave me a few options.

1. To replace with LG would cost 146 which means he would have to claim on his insurance and i would have to fill in a bunch of forms etc.
    2. He could get a generic none branded stand which will fit on any TV as long as i can mount it with a bracket. (i can as it originally came with a bracket)
    3. A full TV entertainment stand which the TV clips on to again unbranded.

I advised that whilst it is possible for the unbranded stands to clip on i would prefer a like for like replacement as the damage is their fault I would like the same quality replacement as the one they broke, i advised i am happy to fill in any for they need to certify the damage and provide further photos.

I then got an email back with the actual insurance claim form attached which i was instructed to fill in and then i was also advised I would be reimbursed.

I queried this as I did not expect to have to go and buy the part myself and claim the money back. As you can imagine i do not have a spare 146 lying about to go and buy the part regardless of being able to claim it back, in addition should I even be expected to fill in insurance claims for them? Surely if it is their insurance THEY would be filling in the claim form and THEY should be paying for the part.

I feel like they are trying to skirt paying anything and are passing the hassle of it all to me. Are they allowed to do this?

HELP!
Page 1
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    I can't answer your main question, but as an aside: if you genuinely don't have 146, how are you going to cope if something important breaks or you have some other kind of emergency? It's really important to have some kind of buffer in place.
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 14-09-2018 at 4:52 PM.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 14th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    Life happens. Personally I'd just accept the unbranded bracket/stand.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 14th Sep 18, 5:16 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:16 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:16 PM
    I think they've been fair offering to reimburse you for damage that may or may not have been caused by them.
    It would be ideal if they could source the part, buy it for you, and come and fit it but I think they've offered you a reasonable solution that you should accept.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 8,488 Posts
    • 8,943 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    Seems odd that their insurance policy has an excess lower than 146.
    • PassingOutInTheParade
    • By PassingOutInTheParade 14th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    PassingOutInTheParade
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    They seem to have offered several reasonable remedies.

Any insurance claim would involve the aggrieved party completing paperwork; I can't see what the issue is.
    Inconvenient maybe, but that's how life is, especially for a homeowner.
    • roweyfraggle
    • By roweyfraggle 15th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roweyfraggle
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    I can't answer your main question, but as an aside: if you genuinely don't have 146, how are you going to cope if something important breaks or you have some other kind of emergency? It's really important to have some kind of buffer in place.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    I DO have a buffer but I do not count a damaged TV stand as an "emergency" not one that i am willing to dive into my savings for.

My main point is why should i be left out of pocket for any amount of time when I did not cause the damage? I waited 6 weeks for them to send me a form, how long will it take to get a cheque??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

6,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin