Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ricki80
    • By Ricki80 14th Sep 18, 3:02 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ricki80
    Rent Increase
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:02 PM
    Rent Increase 14th Sep 18 at 3:02 PM
    Hi,

A friend of mine has just told me whats happening with his Landlord and why he's looking for another place to live after only moving 1 year ago.

He's coming to the end of his fixed term and the Landlord advised that the new agreement will be 200 more a month and not include the white goods (which the original one did). He couldn't afford such a big change and so will move out.

However he has now seen the property up for rent again at only a 100 increase and white goods included.

This seems mightly dishonest and when he first moved in there were boiler issues which meant he had no hot water/heat for 2 weeks. It took multiple chases to get this resolve and the landlord seems to begrudge this and has offered a paltry sum in compensation.

Does my friend have any grounds to take this further? Or should he just not bother and move on?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Sep 18, 3:10 PM
    • 13,273 Posts
    • 19,102 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:10 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:10 PM
    Hi,

A friend of mine has just told me whats happening with his Landlord and why he's looking for another place to live after only moving 1 year ago.

He's coming to the end of his fixed term and the Landlord advised that the new agreement will be 200 more a month and not include the white goods (which the original one did). He couldn't afford such a big change and so will move out.

However he has now seen the property up for rent again at only a 100 increase and white goods included.

This seems mightly dishonest and when he first moved in there were boiler issues which meant he had no hot water/heat for 2 weeks. It took multiple chases to get this resolve and the landlord seems to begrudge this and has offered a paltry sum in compensation.

Does my friend have any grounds to take this further? Or should he just not bother and move on?

Originally posted by Ricki80
    He didn't have to sign a new fixed term contract or agree to the 200 rent increase to remain in the property but it appears he has moved out so he will just need to move on with his life because there's no other option for him.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    It does sound as if the LL wants a new tenant. Onwards and upwards, huh? Good luck to your friend.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    • 5,489 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    Comms69
    Hi,

If he is still there, he can just stay on the current terms and sign nothing else.

However he may eventually be evicted.

He has no recourse, the LL can choose to let to someone else for free if they so wish, and include a gold plated jaguar
    • Ricki80
    • By Ricki80 14th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ricki80
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:17 PM
    Cool... thanks guys, Always appreciated.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 14th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    Hi,

He's coming to the end of his fixed term and the Landlord advised that the new agreement will be 200 more a month and not include the white goods (which the original one did). He couldn't afford such a big change and so will move out. - he doesn't have to move out, he can negotiate a different contract if he wants a fixed term, or remain under the current terms on a periodic contract without signing anything.

However he has now seen the property up for rent again at only a 100 increase and white goods included. - if he's happy to move then what does it matter? If he'd like to take the offer at 100 increase, he can talk to the LL to go on teh new advertised contract.. he can suggest to the LL that LL won't have a void or hassle of viewings etc by choosing friend.

This seems mightly dishonest and when he first moved in there were boiler issues which meant he had no hot water/heat for 2 weeks. It took multiple chases to get this resolve and the landlord seems to begrudge this and has offered a paltry sum in compensation. - this is a separate repair issue, and there's processes to follow re reporting and getting the issue fixed.

Does my friend have any grounds to take this further? Or should he just not bother and move on? - He can apply to the LL to sign a new contract at the new advertised rate. Or he can simply remain in the property under a periodic tenancy.

He doesn't have to sign a new fixed term at the LL's new rate. Friend can negotiate a lower rent or just remain in the property under a periodic tenancy. Yes, the LL can
    * serve Section 21 notice to evict but this would take 2-6 months after serving
    * serve Section 13 notice to increase the rent, but the tenant can challenge this if its excessive and get it referred to a tribunal.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    • 38,123 Posts
    • 160,318 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    Why doesn't he negotiate with the current landlord? Sounds like the landlord tried for a rent increase with your friend, that failed so he went to agents. Agents brought his aspirations for rental down to earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,935Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter