Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • makemerich12
    • By makemerich12 14th Sep 18, 2:11 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 13Thanks
    makemerich12
    Finding out how much i currently have
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:11 PM
    Finding out how much i currently have 14th Sep 18 at 2:11 PM
    I've just turned 30 and since starting working since the age of 18 i'd like to know how much money i have saved for my pension from 3 different job roles, If this is possible? i worked in retail for 13 years and then moved on.
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Sep 18, 2:18 PM
    • 22,478 Posts
    • 11,076 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:18 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:18 PM
    Are you not getting any annual statements?
    What type of pension do you have?
    It might be defined as a % of your final salary rather than being an amount you've saved.
    • makemerich12
    • By makemerich12 15th Sep 18, 2:47 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    makemerich12
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:47 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 2:47 AM
    I know what i'm currently getting within my current employer but not my last two
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 10,557 Posts
    • 12,071 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    Then contact them
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 15th Sep 18, 8:26 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:26 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:26 AM
    Did you stay in any of the previous two jobs (or at least in their pension schemes) for less than two years? If so you may not have a deferred pension from that one but may have been paid back your contributions less tax and NI.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 15th Sep 18, 9:22 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:22 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:22 AM
    Are you sure you were in pension schemes in your last two jobs? Auto-enrolment is fairly recent, especially for smaller firms.

Have you changed address since you left those two jobs? If so, you need to ensure the relevant parties (i.e. pension providers) have your current contact details.
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 15th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    I know what i'm currently getting within my current employer but not my last two
    Originally posted by makemerich12
    There are ways to trace lost pensions: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/pension-problems/making-a-complaint/common-concerns/lost-pensions
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 18, 9:54 AM
    • 94,471 Posts
    • 62,408 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:54 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:54 AM
    If your pension is the type that invests in investment funds then you should be getting at least an annual statement. If yours is defined benefit pension (based on years of service) then you do not get an annual statement. You get one after you leave and that is it. You should keep these documents safe.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 15th Sep 18, 10:12 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:12 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 10:12 AM
    Although I understand for a deferred DB pension you can request a statement each year (and it has to be sent within 2 months of request).
    • dasherman
    • By dasherman 15th Sep 18, 11:02 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    dasherman
    If your pension is the type that invests in investment funds then you should be getting at least an annual statement. If yours is defined benefit pension (based on years of service) then you do not get an annual statement. You get one after you leave and that is it. You should keep these documents safe.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Depends on the scheme surely. It might not be a requirement but deferred members of the DB scheme I'm in, do get annual statements!
    Every little bit counts.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 15th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Albermarle
    For my deferred DB scheme , I do not get a statement as such . Like Dunston said I just have a statement when I left the company of what the pension was worth at the time, and that it would increase by RPI /5%, whichever was the least . So to calculate the current values I have to calculate it myself based on recent RPI data.
    What I do get annually is an update on how the fund is performing , how much the company is topping it up etc but that does not relate directly to my own pension value.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 15th Sep 18, 3:37 PM
    • 26,480 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    xylophone
    I've just turned 30 and since starting working since the age of 18 i'd like to know how much money i have saved for my pension from 3 different job roles, If this is possible? i worked in retail for 13 years and then moved on
    Were you a member of Defined Benefit Schemes in your first two jobs?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,838Posts Today

8,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin