Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 14th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 488Thanks
    Elinore
    Suspended what to do?
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    Suspended what to do? 14th Sep 18 at 1:45 PM
    its a bit long - but I wasn't sure what was relevant so I included everything

I am employed by ‘huge multinational – employer’ who as part of a partnership in a multimillion pound deal took on several lucrative contracts in conjunction with ‘multinational – product supplier’ several years ago.

I was recruited during this acquisition to work exclusively servicing a contract to ‘product supplier’ but am paid and work in the building of ‘employer’ as a team of one. My contract is not profitable as it’s a legacy contract, but it is a requirement of the larger much more lucrative deal that the role is staffed and maintained. I have worked this way to the satisfaction of both the employer and the supplier for several years.

The employer has a single licence to access ‘product supplier’ systems as they are militantly security conscious. This is allocated specifically to me and I had to sign for it as for my sole use -as I have access to privileged data.

They also set my leave; I go to their team meetings and get invited by the product suppliers to their Christmas and summer work dos. They feedback to the’ employer’ on my performance (which has always been noted as excellent) and they generally are great and treat me as part of the team, just based off site.

I returned after two weeks AL to find there has been a reshuffle and I now have a different manager at ‘employer’. Manager has cancelled all the blocked out Thursdays on the leave/meetings system (my set days at Supplier site) and changed my hours to that of the main unit. He’s also assigned me some admin tasks and cancelled the AL blocked out for Christmas as it’s the company policy not to have leave over the festive period (Product supplier closes over Christmas)

I had introduction meeting on my return where the manager was livid when he discovered that my employment contract is exclusively for working on this contract and for the supplier alone. It says I can’t do outside tasks, my hours and leave are set by the ‘product supplier’ not by the employer. All very clearly laid out in my terms of employment. He seemed to take it rather personally and in frank terms had himself a bit of a temper tantrum (honestly, its the most accurate way to describe it!)

So I have kept my head down this week - I thought it would all blow over once he had spoken to my old manager, confirmed the details and it would just boil down to him being disappointed that I wasn't as expected - the shiny new staff member who would lighten their load by one.

This is where I need advice.

In a further meeting today the new manager told me he didn’t want me on his headcount if I was basically not working for him. I was a resource drain and he had all this admin stuff to do for essentially a penny ante BS legacy role. (The role may be legacy but its necessary, busy and a full time job)

He wanted me to sideline my supplier tasks and pick up the admin tasks anyway and also wants me to hand over the login to the product suppliers system, expressly against the supplier’s policy. Essentially he wants to hand tasks out to the wider team. Without asking permission to do so.

He wants me to work outside the hour’s noted in both my terms and the contract terms to the detriment of the supplier. He has refused to put any of this in writing or allow me to do so - categorically banned me from discussing any of this with the supplier or anyone one else in the business. When I stated I would need to take advice on this he immediately suspended me for refusing ‘a reasonable request’ and asked me to leave.

I calmly left but I am very concerned. Where do I go from here?
    Last edited by Elinore; 14-09-2018 at 1:52 PM.
Page 2
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 14th Sep 18, 7:37 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Elinore
    Hi Les,

The role is part of a bigger contract agreement. They can manage me out, but they would still need to have someone do the job as the support role is a requirement of the supplier and its a string attached to a huge lucrative contract.

basically the role is a bitter pill for one area of the business only swallowed because it hugely benefits another area of the business and keeps the supplier sweet.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 14th Sep 18, 8:50 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    Les79
    Hi Les,

The role is part of a bigger contract agreement. They can manage me out, but they would still need to have someone do the job as the support role is a requirement of the supplier and its a string attached to a huge lucrative contract.

basically the role is a bitter pill for one area of the business only swallowed because it hugely benefits another area of the business and keeps the supplier sweet.
    Originally posted by Elinore
    Ok, well, could the employer maybe re-negotiate the contract with the supplier and gain their support over you that way?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 18, 9:06 PM
    • 21,387 Posts
    • 17,214 Thanks
    agrinnall

Why can't you be managed (and have your salary paid from their budget) by someone in the part of the business that does benefit rather than one that doesn't?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 14th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 19,866 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I think what has happened is in fact that the ignorant new manager has had an immature temper tantrum.

What I would do is to write a memo to this manager saying that you are very upset by the meetings you have had with him for the following reasons - and then explain things to him as clearly as you have to us. Say that you are considering raising a grievance, and are in the process of taking union advice, but you would like a further opportunity to discuss things before invoking a formal procedure, especially as he is new and you understand that this is an unusual and complex situation which may have come as a surprise to him (face saving phrases for him, even though he is being a twit.)

Then sleep on this, before you send it. In the mean time, with any luck HIS manager will have sat on him and he'll be back to you with an apology. If he isn't, send it and continue with the union/grievance approach.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 15th Sep 18, 9:38 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Elinore
    Why can't you be managed (and have your salary paid from their budget) by someone in the part of the business that does benefit rather than one that doesn't?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    This would make more sense - but the role is support and the unit i work in is all support staff. The lucrative contract its tied to is sales and that is in a different office miles away.

So i kind of see why they have me here, its on the 'employers' site but im close enough to regularly visit and go for meetings at 'supplier' site.

I just think the manager wasn't briefed, or if he was he didnt understand - and thought he was getting new headcount that would assist in the units overall workload. Evidenced by the fact he moved me over to the units work pattern and assigned me a full workload of admin tasks. when this did not work i think he thought he would shoot for the middle ground of having the tasks spread amongst the unit and me pick up some of theirs - to be denied again.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Sep 18, 7:31 PM
    • 21,387 Posts
    • 17,214 Thanks
    agrinnall
    This would make more sense - but the role is support and the unit i work in is all support staff. The lucrative contract its tied to is sales and that is in a different office miles away.

But that's no reason why you can't be managed from the sales office and be paid out of their budget. The more we hear about this the more I can see why your new manager is very unhappy about it, he has to waste his time managing someone who make no contribution to his real team, and his budget takes a hit for the privilege of doing so. I think you should be trying to work with him to get you transferred in all but physical location to the sales team.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,159 Posts
    • 10,580 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    But that's no reason why you can't be managed from the sales office and be paid out of their budget. The more we hear about this the more I can see why your new manager is very unhappy about it, he has to waste his time managing someone who make no contribution to his real team, and his budget takes a hit for the privilege of doing so. I think you should be trying to work with him to get you transferred in all but physical location to the sales team.
    But surely in that case the manager should take up the issue higher up the with his managers not the OP?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 6,170 Thanks
    TELLIT01

A valid question but one which needs to be asked by the manager involved, not handled by suspending a member of staff in a fit of pique because they didn't get their own way.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 9,350 Posts
    • 7,025 Thanks
    pmduk
    Sounds like he's rather foolishly trying to demonstrate his authority over his team.
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 16th Sep 18, 1:43 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Elinore
    I really would rather they didn't move the role to the sales site - I would have to leave the job as its several counties over.

Also it would cause issues as the reason the job was kept on employers main site is the easy access to the supplier's site and ability to attend meetings and events.

My last manager just felt that it was part of his role to manage his people, even if they was just at the behest of the wider work need. He just let me get on with it.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 16th Sep 18, 1:55 PM
    • 22,973 Posts
    • 57,593 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Do not share your login/access to the Supplier system with this manager or members of this manager's wider team - insist that the manager contact the Supplier directly to arrange said access.

Other than that, exactly as jobbingmusician advised above.

BTW I would have an extremely dim view of any colleague or manager who told me not to go to HR over a matter. HR is there for everybody in the company to contact.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Sep 18, 5:14 PM
    • 21,387 Posts
    • 17,214 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I really would rather they didn't move the role to the sales site - I would have to leave the job as its several counties over.

I have specifically said that your location should not be changed.

To the people who say it's the new manager's job to get the transfer of management and budget done, I agree, but it's in the OP's interest that something happens so that she can keep her job, so why wouldn't she take an active role in trying to achieve this? Especially when the alternative of her leaving the job is a perfectly reasonable outcome for the manager involved, and would solve all of his problems at zero cost to him.
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 17th Sep 18, 5:57 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Elinore
    Up early can't sleep and getting ready to be called after 0900 (my union lady is supposed to ring me from there)

in regards to the manager cutting off his nose to spite his face - That's the whole point - he can get rid of me...

he can't get rid of the role.

The contract states it's an obligation as part of the wider sales contract and is cast iron through several contract renegotiations.

So if he sacks me he will find that hes got to go to the cost and expense of hiring someone else as the supplier are very militant that the role is serviced - they also wont agree to change the working contract either so the incoming will have the same obligations and hours as me.

So he will have all the admin hassle of sacking me, the fuss of interviews and a new starter to end up in the exact same position.

It might be he's hoping to kick up enough of a stink that i get moved under someone else's umbrella. (i'm used to it i've had many many managers over the years - i'm like the company's hot potato - but to be fair after they have worked out the role, that i am fully monitored by the supplier so cant take the mickey in any way im normally just shunted off to the side and left alone)
    Last edited by Elinore; 17-09-2018 at 6:05 AM.
    • Elinore
    • By Elinore 18th Sep 18, 6:07 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Elinore
    Update

............silence...........

The Union lady called and advised that shes very busy but will look into things. Hr called and advised that they were very busy and they would look into things. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Several missed calls from the supplier to my personal mobile and a voicemail asking if i am ok, they haven't been able to get hold of me (also no one told them of the change over so they have been trying to get hold of my old manager) so they are worried.

I felt bad not answering but i thought it best that they be contacted by the employer.

I didn't realise im a stress cleaner - my house is immaculate i even had the dishwasher and washing machine on self cleaning cycles and every inch of the washing line was full. I stripped out, washed and cleaned my whole wardrobe. Sorted out 20kg of clothes for recycling then reorganised the whole unit folding in the konmari method. It's a thing of beauty.

Todays scheduled distraction = sorting the garage and my CV
    Last edited by Elinore; 18-09-2018 at 6:44 AM. Reason: personal mobile, rather than a work one
    • annandale
    • By annandale 18th Sep 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    annandale
    How long is it going to be before your employer tells the supplier. I'd be pushing a bit harder with the union and with hr and I'd consider talking to the supplier
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 18th Sep 18, 11:22 AM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 5,532 Thanks
    Comms69
    Update

The Union lady called and advised that shes very busy but will look into things. Hr called and advised that they were very busy and they would look into things. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Several missed calls from the supplier to my personal mobile and a voicemail asking if i am ok, they haven't been able to get hold of me (also no one told them of the change over so they have been trying to get hold of my old manager) so they are worried.

I felt bad not answering but i thought it best that they be contacted by the employer.

I didn't realise im a stress cleaner - my house is immaculate i even had the dishwasher and washing machine on self cleaning cycles and every inch of the washing line was full. I stripped out, washed and cleaned my whole wardrobe. Sorted out 20kg of clothes for recycling then reorganised the whole unit folding in the konmari method. It's a thing of beauty.

sooo still no grievance? Think that's a massive mistake / or there's something you haven't told us.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 18th Sep 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    sooo still no grievance? Think that's a massive mistake / or there's something you haven't told us.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    totally agree with this - don't be a doormat! your manager needs to be shown this isn't acceptable. It may also help in any future tribunal if you've followed the grievance process.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 18th Sep 18, 7:24 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 19,866 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I can understand that you may not want to raise a grievance without talking to the Union, but you DO need to be nagging the Union. Phone or email saying you really do feel that raising a grievance promptly is important, and maybe enclosing a draft grievance for their comment. And keep nagging them. You can be sure that they will be dealing with other cases as well and giving priority to some of the people that nag them the hardest. Become one of these people!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Nookie5
    • By Nookie5 18th Sep 18, 7:30 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Nookie5
    Update

You'll want to put it in writing and demand for a response within a certain timeframe, otherwise HR will keep stalling and fabricate something to the supplier who's probably getting annoyed by your silence. They don't know your employer is forcing you out, they only think you've gone AWOL. If HR is only relying on calling, record all phone calls in secret.
    • Movie Star
    • By Movie Star 18th Sep 18, 8:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Movie Star
    New here, so apologies if it sounds short and to the point.

The request from the new manager is not a reasonable request. Breaking contracts and agreements is not reasonable. In my experience you need to flush this out into the open, and head straight to HR. If the managers gets even more irate and threatening, put in a complaint and specifically specify another manager hear the complaint. This type of power play manipulation only works when it's done behind closed doors and in the dark. I would move at a quick pace, and keep a dated diary while your memory is fresh. Keep the diary at home, not in the work place. Your reputation as a person of integrity is at stake, and by suspending you he ruins your reputation and threatens with a hard ball tactic. It's a tough squeeze, but have none of it. Straight to HR after you have updated the diary and put salient points in bullet form for HR to at least retain on your file, ready for the next move. I hope this helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,407Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter