Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 14th Sep 18, 12:41 PM
    • 3,703Posts
    • 1,732Thanks
    Mumstheword
    Broken Bifold - locked shut
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:41 PM
    Broken Bifold - locked shut 14th Sep 18 at 12:41 PM
    Hi,
    My external bifold doors wont open. I can turn the key and lift the handle. If I then push the doors (at the central pivot point of 2 panels, they open outwards), the top of the doors will move, but the bottom is stuck fast as if the locking bolt is still down into the locking channel on the ground.

My first question is - is this just a case of levering it up over the channel with a spade from outside, as a burglar would
    (and if so, I'm fairly competent and could take off and replace the whole locking mechanism)
    Or is there and easier way of getting it open involving perhaps taking off the handle from the inside?

My 2nd question is how long would you say this mechanism should reasonably last without failing? They're 4 years old. I've googled the company who appear to have gone into liquidation. But I paid by credit card. Have I reasonable grounds under anything like the sale of goods act to expect them to work for longer than 4 years?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
Page 1
    • ytfcmad
    • By ytfcmad 14th Sep 18, 2:14 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    ytfcmad
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:14 PM
    What make are they?
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 42,686 Posts
    • 17,956 Thanks
    macman
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:56 PM
    Drill out the lock barrel, release the locking pins, replace the barrel. Levering it will probably wreck both the door and the frame.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 16th Sep 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 16th Sep 18, 4:14 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 4:14 PM
    Thanks for your replies, sorry to be so late back!
    I don't know the make but they were bought from Malbern windows (payment to systems glass ltd, maybe then trading as Malbern?)

A local locksmith had a look at it. He tried to get a thin plate under the door but couldn't get in far enough to use an inflatable to lift the door gently. He's passed my details to someone else to come and look at it, possibly with a view to dismantling the door maybe?
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,013Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter