Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 14th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 15Thanks
    ywlgy
    2 CC fraud in 9 months...Is it normal?
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    2 CC fraud in 9 months...Is it normal? 14th Sep 18 at 12:23 PM
    Hi all,

After having my aqua CC been used by fraudsters in January this year and successfully claimed money back, so far so good and I got two limit increases....

I had a trip to Estonia this week and received a fraud alert from aqua after i came back. So this happens again....Fortunately this time the transaction is declined so i don't have to go through the same procedure and they have cancelled the card and will send a new one.

But the point is how could this possibly happen so often? I only use this card in big-name merchants. And i haven't had any such issues on my barclays debit card for 5 years. It is more like an Aqua issue, or i am just not that lucky when using it.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 19,334 Posts
    • 20,645 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    It's not abnormal, depending on your behaviour, though most people manage not to have fraud transactions.

But some people certainly have more instances.

I'd start by checking your computer.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:27 PM
    If I was you, I would check my credit files with the three CRAs, just to be sure nothing untoward is happening re fraudulent activities. I'd be tempted to submit a protective registration marker with CIFAS too...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 14th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ywlgy
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    It's not abnormal, depending on your behaviour, though most people manage not to have fraud transactions.

But some people certainly have more instances.

I'd start by checking your computer.
    Originally posted by zx81
    I use my barclays card online as well but has no problems. so should not a computer issue.
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 14th Sep 18, 12:51 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ywlgy
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:51 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:51 PM
    If I was you, I would check my credit files with the three CRAs, just to be sure nothing untoward is happening re fraudulent activities. I'd be tempted to submit a protective registration marker with CIFAS too...
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    My files are fine. I am not too worried about identity theft because these two occasions are more about card security.

I used it on a mcdonald self service machine which didn't recognise my card. It might be the moment my card detail is stolen. but who knows...
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 14th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    Were all of the frauds committed in an online point of sale environment? That would normally require the fraudster to know your address, card number, expiry date, valid from date (sometimes) and 3-digit card security code. How many people get close enough to you to get hold of all this information? Alternatively have you made any prior online purchases that didn't show up?
    • harrystroe
    • By harrystroe 14th Sep 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    harrystroe
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:27 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:27 PM
    Let's say as a former individual related to your thread, I can assure you that internet is the most unsafe thing ever created.
    First of all Aqua doesn't t have the security upgraded related to internet fraud as Barclays have, therefore you didn't have any problem with Barclays just because of the level of their threats warning is set to a certain level, and this means that someone may have your Barclays details as well, but can t do anything with it, as for Aqua with their minimum to almost none apart master secure code or 3D by visa, it most likely to have other issues in the future.
    Now for your own security, try to use incognito browsers when you do shopping, this way no cookies or other trace thingy will remain on both sides, do not store cards on your computer or phone or any website (see British Airways).
    Apart from that, all the time keep an eye on your expenses.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 14th Sep 18, 6:19 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:19 PM
    Unlikely to happen at McDonalds.

The type of fraud would explain the method used to obtain the information. If the fraud is online then the card was most likely compromised online. If its overseas at an ATM or store then the card has been skimmed and cloned.

Card not present fraud is the biggie has been growing for years.
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ywlgy
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    Unlikely to happen at McDonalds.

The type of fraud would explain the method used to obtain the information. If the fraud is online then the card was most likely compromised online. If its overseas at an ATM or store then the card has been skimmed and cloned.

Card not present fraud is the biggie has been growing for years.
    Originally posted by eco_warrior
    In the January case, the card was skimmed and used with a PIN (probably recorded by a hidden camera) in a store.
    In this recent case, it was used online, but declined. Probably due to wrong CVC entered. My guess is card number and expiry date were stolen by skimmer or merchant receipt (i know they reveal these info)

the customer copy i got from this Estonian mcdonald even has my FULL card number
    Last edited by ywlgy; 14-09-2018 at 8:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

8,431Users online

Martin's Twitter