Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IvyFlood
    • By IvyFlood 14th Sep 18, 10:51 AM
    • 77Posts
    • 6Thanks
    IvyFlood
    Who can fit tumble dryer vent?
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:51 AM
    Who can fit tumble dryer vent? 14th Sep 18 at 10:51 AM
    We wish to purchase a vented tumble dryer for our new home. It will be going in the kitchen where the previous owners had their dishwasher (we don't want a dishwasher) just under where the sink is on the outside wall.

Drilling a hole and fitting the vent DIY is just not an option for us as we are hopeless with things like that!

Just wondering who would do such a job as its relatively small? A builder? Plumber? If I asked at an electrical goods shop would they know people who could do it or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Page 1
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 14th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    We had a builder who was doing work in our utility room and was happy to do that until we changed our minds and has a condensing dryer instead.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 14th Sep 18, 11:02 AM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 7,505 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:02 AM
    I just bought a condensing dryer and i have the tools to fit a vent.

Youll probably know someone who has the drill and core bits to do it. Try asking on facebook. A builder or plumber might/should have the tools, shops arent usually too keen to give recommendations for traders as they risk their reputation for little gain.
    Don't be angry!
    • womble12345
    • By womble12345 14th Sep 18, 2:38 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    womble12345
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:38 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:38 PM
    Just get a local handyman.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    Go with a condensing one. One with the water tray at the top is easier.

Why have a pointless hole in the wall keeping the kitchen cold when it is not in use? (The thermal properties of a vent tube are not good at keepingg the cold out!)
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    Go with a condensing one. One with the water tray at the top is easier.

Why have a pointless hole in the wall keeping the kitchen cold when it is not in use? (The thermal properties of a vent tube are not good at keepingg the cold out!)
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Vented dryers are cheaper to buy, quicker, use less electricity and arguably are more reliable due to being simpler machines with less to go wrong.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 14th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cranford
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    I have a Hotpoint Aquarius TCHL73BRP 7Kg Condenser Tumble Dryer and had no problems for over 2years. Would cost 239 today - vented version costs 199 today. I would be surprised if you can get a builder or handyman to put a hole in the wall for 40.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th Sep 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 5:09 PM
    I have a Hotpoint Aquarius TCHL73BRP 7Kg Condenser Tumble Dryer and had no problems for over 2years. Would cost 239 today - vented version costs 199 today. I would be surprised if you can get a builder or handyman to put a hole in the wall for 40.
    Originally posted by cranford
    I have a Hotpoint Reversomatic 9335A vented dryer & have had few problems in nearly 30 years. If you can go with vented then do so for all the reasons pointed out in Naughtius's post.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 15th Sep 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:49 PM
    I tend to always go vented, they're basically a timer, motor and heating element, in our case they last an average of about 7-10 years even for the cheapest versions, i've never been a fan of condenser ones because of the cost/added complexity and once you have a vent fitted once it's there for as long as you are living there.

Virtually any good handyman or usually plumbers and a lot of builders can do it, as it's fairly standard thing for them all to do (also kitchen and bathroom fitters), as it's a standard 100mm hole which is used for everything from bathroom and kitchen extractors to boilers, dryers and air conditioners.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 15th Sep 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    _shel
    My uncle vented mine, he's a general handyman and used a drill, chisel and hammer. Charged me 50 but he is my uncle.

I much prefer vented. Condensers leave my clothes damp and creased!
    • Durham andrew
    • By Durham andrew 17th Sep 18, 12:19 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Durham andrew
    Also sometimes sparks will have core drills for when they put in extraction fans in
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Sep 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Since the drain is handy in that location, a condenser with plumbed-in drainage would be a good option
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Vented dryers are cheaper to buy, quicker, use less electricity and arguably are more reliable due to being simpler machines with less to go wrong.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus

I have not seen that. Beyond there maybe some really cheap vented ones that are probably best ignored.

I have had 2 condensing dryers.

Rating is no more than a vented one (B). (your need a heat pump one to get to the high ratings).

My first one lasted me for 13 years in my last house and untill I got a new kitchen in this one. (It still worked fine but because I wanted it in a cupboard a top water box seemed a good idea, and hey after a total of 15 years it was probably time).

And that is for one that was very abused and not cleaned out as much as it should have been.

A condenser is really not complex. It's just a silly big box really. Hardly technical.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    Carrot007
    My uncle vented mine, he's a general handyman and used a drill, chisel and hammer. Charged me 50 but he is my uncle.

I much prefer vented. Condensers leave my clothes damp and creased!
    Originally posted by _shel

It they are damp you have either bought a useless one of have it on the wrong setting.

I have options on my current condenser. raging for 4 drying options. The top one is more dry than anyone would want.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th Sep 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    Carrot007
    I tend to always go vented, they're basically a timer, motor and heating element, in our case they last an average of about 7-10 years even for the cheapest versions, i've never been a fan of condenser ones because of the cost/added complexity and once you have a vent fitted once it's there for as long as you are living there.
    Originally posted by Nilrem

Yes, increasing heat loss.

I refer you to having a condenser for 15 years and not taking care of it and just changing it because I wanted to.

And how much are you paying both my consensers were under 200. Not much available under that in anything. (Except those weird small vented into the room things that are evil!)

Maybe you are not up to sate with current offerings since 200 and have experience with really old ones?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,468Posts Today

8,225Users online

Martin's Twitter