Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Sep 18, 6:32 AM
    • 3,221Posts
    • 44,695Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 14 September 2018
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:32 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 14 September 2018 14th Sep 18 at 6:32 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 14 September 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, both boys still in their pits, DS1 has a days' leave, he's taking his car to the garage for a service and MOT. DS2 will come with me to do the shopping then go to the gym as normal.

Dinner last night was fish, the menfolk had salmon en croute, chips, peas/veg. I had baked fish and veg. Tonight I'm not sure but will organise something whilst out shopping.

I did get some chores done yesterday but will continue today, got 2 loads of washing line dried as it turned warm and sunny for much of the day. Hoping to get more line dried today.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 14-09-2018 at 6:36 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • redruby
    • By redruby 14th Sep 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,842 Posts
    • 95,723 Thanks
    redruby
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:15 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:15 AM
    Morning all

Dull and overcast here again today but meant to be nice during the day.

I went to work yesterday and took it very easy all the clients were so lovely and wouldn't let me lift anything or pick anything up, we have a large buffet to do today (45 people) so that will keep us busy.

Cleaner coming today I just love coming home to a clean and tidy house its such a help.

DD and Boyf are flying back from Rome late tonight, I think they land at midnight so a late night for them.

Not sure about dinner today but there is plenty in, might do some chorizo with fried eggs and bread and butter or some kind of pasta dish.

Hugs to all in need, and special thoughts to the TA's xx

Have god days all xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Sep 18, 7:26 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 49,997 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:26 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:26 AM
    Morning All

Not very nice out today, I was hoping to go to the allotment after work but I'll see how hard it's raining!

I've had a dodgy tummy all week but feel a lot better this morning, probably could have risked swimming. Hey ho, there's always next week.

Glad it's Friday, it's been a tough week at work. How are things TA?
    That's a lot to pay csarina, hope you can find some help somewhere.
    Do you have your new body yet Gers?

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Sep 18, 7:27 AM
    • 12,676 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:27 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:27 AM
    Morning

Weird dreams again for me last night nothing scary but definitely unnerving to a point I am starting to dread sleep and thats not me I adore sleep and bed normally.

I have a lot coming up in October and whilst some of that is holiday/social I still worry about it so along with a couple of big work projects that are niggling me then I think that explains my daft dreams. So probably be OK after November

House was noticeably chillier this morning. Wont be putting the heating on for a long while yet though as I hate the initial turn on. It can actually make me feel a bit ill at first for some reason I think its the dry air.

Food last night was feta cheese salad and some apple pie. Tonight Im working so will have an early tea ...Im fancying a smoked salmon and soft cheese bagel for some reason (probably appeared in my dream)so I have dragged some salmon out of the freezer and have some bagels and cheese arriving in my shop at 8.

Think what I really need today is a Friday Mind Tidy where I dump everything that is bothering me onto a series of lists with some action plans. It works at work so hoping emptying my brain will allow me some better sleep later. Ill report its success or not tomorrow.

Big hugs heading for TA as usual and Holly I miss your starts
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    Good morning, Oldstylers - hope Mrs Sleep Fairy was kind to everybody last night .

((((HEALING HUGS)))) and prayers for all those who need them - especially the TA's.

Over the past couple of days, it's been interesting to read about the various 'home improvements' that some of you have been going through - hope that living with the 'upheaval' isn't too stressful for you all .

My DS2 is doing all kinds at the moment, and I know that they're bogged down with brick-dust etc everywhere. He said they have to 'eat quickly' before food gets a sprinkling of 'unwanted seasoning' settling on it ! I'm sure it'll all be worthwhile when it's finished - but it's a pain at the moment. Dining Room and Kitchen being knocked into one large Living / Dining / Kitchen space and then an 'old outhouse' being turned into a Utility Room / downstairs loo. He's also mentioned removing 'chimney breast walls ! Hoping to have it all finished by Christmas .

Also good to read BoP's 'postcards' from the US - I've only ever changed flights at NY, and a proper visit to the city is on my bucket list !

Just waiting to hear if I need to go back to DD's to supervise DGS1 again, as DD is still at hospital with DGD2. He's supposed to be at his own College Course today - and it would probably be the best place for him, while his mum is occupied with DGD's needs. I've got plans of my own, but nothing that can't be put on hold till another day.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Sep 18, 8:03 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 8,477 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:03 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:03 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Holly hope you enjoyed your stay with your brother and the appointments went well.

Special thoughts for the TA's

GERS think I need to go to the body shop new joints would be good

As usual nothing much happening here.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,217 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    Good morning chums, and another sunny morning here in Kent with just a slight nip in the air to remind you that autumn is here.The leaves are slowly browning off and it will soon be the conker season

I had two older brothers and I loved 'conker' season and looking for the best ones a 'cheese cutter which could swipe my middle brother Davey's one to bits now sadly both of my big brothers have passed away and I no longer am the shape or size to go hunting for conkers and few children seem to play them anymore.

A few years ago when I was in France visiting our Davey we went to Cognac (yup the brandy place) and there were some spectacular chestnut tree, and huge ones laying around on the pavement I asked Davey didn't French children play, and he said he had never seen them do it, so perhaps its a British children's game.

I picked up several and took them back home with me to the UK for my then younger grandsons and they were highly impressed and wanted me to go back for a bagful

Whilst out there Davey and I had a game when we got back to his house, and although we were then both the wrong side of 60 we had a great time laughing and remembering our childhood and its one of the nicest memories I have of my big daft brother whom I still miss dreadfully at times.

Today I have to read the meters for the gas and electric ,(writing it down will remind me ) and this afternoon my eldest DD has to have a scan on he foot which has developed a lump which the Dr thinks may be a ganglion but is not sure.
    Apart from that not a great deal to do, potter around and of course knit some more of these blessed baby balls only another 24 to go.I don't mind doing them its just the repetitiveness of it I find a bit boring, but they will be done and I shall have a few more pounds in my holiday account for next year My DGD has sold two lots and only awaiting another 5 lots to go so I am at the moment £20.00 better off.so every little helps .

Hope the TA's and csarina are OK and had good nights ., and H/Harvey got on OK with her appointments.

Have a good Friday chums whatever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 31,243 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    Morning everyone,

Am hoping Holly is ok and her appointment went well.

Bit dull and overcast here today, yesterday was a lovely day and itís meant to get warmer over the next few days, perhaps summers last hoorah before the Autumn equinox.
    I need to get some chores done this morning and then have a riding lesson this afternoon, itís good to have someone on the ground advising you and no rider is ever the complete package.
    Tea is scampi and chips, with leftover chocolate and cranberry bread & butter pudding for dessert.

Thinking of the TAís as always, hugs to all with worries or cares, have a good day folks x
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 14th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 22,537 Thanks
    RosyRed
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    Morning all,

Fairly dull today.I havent been out dogwalking yet,it's been a bit chaotic near the park with the roadworks closure.Lots of cars and wagons keep coming up our small road as its the only one still open.DS1s car alarm kept going off yesterday after the wagons came up.I'll go up shortly and have a look.
    Didnt take DGS to school yesterday,he was very wheezy when I picked him up Wed.,and was coughing a lot during the night so DS2 decided to keep him off and sleep a bit longer.
    His mum picked him up at 10.30 and by then seemed full of beans & she said she might take him after lunch . He was having an asthma review at the docs later anyway so at least he'd get checked out and given steroids if need be.Both DGC back tonight. Jackie,we have conkers on the ground here now and they collected a bagful each the other day.Lovely memory of your childhood.
    I have a friend coming this aft so a good tidy is needed.Better go out with the dog...Hope you all have a good day and hugs to TAs and Poppy & anyone else in need of one xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Sep 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 17,376 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all and happy Friday,

Weather's poor this morning plus I was stuck in traffic, so not a good start.

Yesterday was relatively chilled until I had to pick up TGFW from an event in Edinburgh at 10, so a 'late' night for me.

Tomorrow morning at 5am I fly to Malaga, so tonight will be spent packing and going to bed early(ish). Need to check I've got all the small toiletries too.

So this will be last post until I'm back. I hope to come back fully rested after a week of reading, eating, drinking and sleeping - all with a little bit of sun. Those going through some difficult times will be in my thoughts.

RR - Good luck today. What's on the menu?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 14th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 22,816 Thanks
    snoozer
    Holly, I hope you're back soon.

Nelski, I hope the list helps. When I have weird dreams I can usually track back to something that has triggered them.

We're home again.

Chris and Crystal are on their way, they are leaving the car here and taking a taxi to Luton for a flight to Croatia. We were supposed to take them but Steve has got a hospital appointment through for the same time. Crystal has finished her job thank goodness. She had to pay for the drinks at her leaving do which seems wrong and to add insult to injury her toxic boss turned up late, looked at the wine she had ordered and went to the bar, ordering his own bottle to be put on her tab. This is a man who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, what a Donald Trump.

This afternoon we'll go down to meet Laura and Brian at South Mimms to handle a Ziggy exchange. We're having her for the weekend while they go to a birthday party in the New Forest.

We also need to call in at the car dealer to show them documentation so that they can order a new key for Steve. It's been a very expensive loss.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Sep 18, 9:56 AM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    -taff
    Dull and drizzly here also.
    I used to walk to school through the churchyard and pick so many conkers they'd be bulging out of very pocket of my blazer. There weren't many girls who wanted to have their knuckles smashed so I had to hang around afters chool and play with the boys from another school. There was always talk of how best to harden them, whether in vinegar or otherwise. Totally forgotten about that until now.

Made it to the new butchers yesterday, got some wagyu beef [ how posh] quite cheaply for my stew, that'll go on today. Also need some wine for it so going to have to go to the shop soon and watch the 'are you an alcoholic' looks from whoever serves me which shoud be fun and will cheer me up. I might do an experimanetal hiccup or two while at the counter...
    Feeling a bit crap today, the side effects are lasting longer now and really really getting on my nerves, lost all stamina, weak as a kitten but hey ho, it's got to be done.
    Happy friday weekend harbinger....
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 23,336 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning, this is a quick flyby as must get on with Friday Tidy including additional neglected jobs.
    Back later
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Sep 18, 10:53 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

I’ve been out first thing to DM’s bank deposit her collection of coins and a small PB win. The bank has a coin counting machine which also deposits the cash whilst spitting out ‘damaged’ coins. DM loves collecting 1, 2 and 5p coins.

Then I went to the pharmacy for her meds. I also had a wee wander into a bookshop to browse.

Any repairs to my ‘body’ will take a week! I wish my own was that quickly fixed.

Now I’m going into ‘thinking’ mode...it may involve a short period of invisible activity though my brain will be whirling around.

Happy Friday to everyone. Hugs all round where needed or wanted.
    Last edited by Gers; 14-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Sep 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 23,883 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

So further to the saga, this morning the social worker phoned me and I asked her about the charges, I told her very firmly that we only needed someone for half an hour 6 mornings a week, the charge went down to £53........which is just under what OH gets for his AA. result!! she is phoning me back this afternoon with some details. It will be a private arrangement with the new carers so I will be paying them myself which is much better.

We had a mad rush to the dentist this morning. OH's abscess reappeared
    he asked for a script for anti b's the dentist wanted to see him so we had to go in, I parked up, till he rang and said he was ready, when I got there he had the tooth out. Half way home I thought we were going to have to turn round and go back, the blood was trickling off the bottom of his chin, how ever it stopped.....phew......I am worn out.......and frazzled......need a slug of something alcoholic..............
    Last edited by csarina2; 14-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Sep 18, 11:49 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    Gers
    What a morning csarina! Have you applied for a Blue Badge?

I hope you can de-frazzle soon.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Sep 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 23,883 Thanks
    csarina2
    What a morning csarina! Have you applied for a Blue Badge?

I hope you can de-frazzle soon.
    Originally posted by Gers
    I went on line and filled in the questions he does not fit the criteria, so no blue badge.

OH is ok, bleeding has stopped, he says his face is sore but I gave him paracetamol, no more moans.

I am still shattered. I have heard from SS there is a firm in the village that can do OH's care, I will have to pay £1.50 travelling expenses which brings it up to £55, thats not a problem, waiting for them to contact me and let me know when they can start.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Sep 18, 6:24 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    Gers
    Csarina - my DM got a letter from the welfare section of social services and someone came out to fill the form for her. The woman said that it's how you answer the questions - listing things you may need help with, not the ones you do need help with. If your DM is eligible for AA then a BB should be a given.

I've had a lazy day really and still managed to pull a muscle in my groin so I'm a bit hobbly so I've taken some painkillers.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 18, 6:28 PM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,217 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good evening chums took eldest DD to the hospital for her scan and she had both feet done as she is developing a lump on the back of her other foot as well What a result she had a phone call from the Drs surgery just now and apparently its inflamed achilles tendons on both feet, they are sorting her out with physio which she is mightily relieved about.

Daft bat told me afterwards when we went for a coffee that she had been stressing about the lumps on her feet as her OH's best friend who had been their best man had ignored lumps and it wasn't a good ending ,bless him .

I love both my DDs to distraction, but they are total opposites ,the youngest will be very open about everything, whereas my eldest keeps everything bottled up but worries herself silly. So hearing its only inflammation has put her mind at rest . Her and her OH are down at their caravan this weekend, so I told her to relax and enjoy the sunshine which is forecast. I too shall have a small glass of something nice tonight to celebrate

Tomorrow morning I shall do my second shop of the month so I hope to be up and about early and get in and out before it gets too busy.

Speky hope you have a great week and lots of R & R to get you fit for your beloved footie.

csarina sounds like you have had a good result with the carers.

Thoughts are with the TA's and I hope they have a good weekend

Take care chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 23,336 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Just popping back in, wanted to read everyone's news.

Csarina2, I wonder if you might be able to find support with a blue badge application from Age UK. I must admit, I thought being in receipt of DLA or whatever it is called this year, qualified you but then I wasn't the right kind of social worker. So my welfare benefits knowledge is limited to what I specialised in.

I've had a busy and quite productive day cleaning things that tend to get overlooked but they don't look a whole heap better. Never mind, I know I've done it. I did some ironing, my bugbear, and from a list of 7 jobs, the 4 big ones are done, just 3 littler ones left. I've had to pace myself a bit as like redruby I've had some struggles with my back this week, it is a flaring up of an old injury and manageable. Unfortunately it has been combined with an uncomfortable stomach ache and I've only worked at what I really wanted to complete. Our bedroom is nicer now, that wasn't neglected but I can't reach the high shelves without a stool and had been scared of falling off earlier in the week so a pile of books had to wait for today to be put away.

Thinking of the TA family and of others who are unwell or worried.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, actually I am a demon speller but a c r a p typist. I'm writing from bed, where I have retreated to avoid my family's horrible choice of TV programmes.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin