Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dexterslab
    • By dexterslab 14th Sep 18, 1:06 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dexterslab
    payoff mortgage with extra savings
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:06 AM
    payoff mortgage with extra savings 14th Sep 18 at 1:06 AM
    Hello, I have 1 year worth of salary in savings and I was thinking to keep 6 months worth of salary and the rest to pay in the mortgage principle to reduce the interest. Also, not to add any balance in savings until I payoff mortgage to save on interest.. What would you suggest in this case?
Page 1
    • Retter
    • By Retter 14th Sep 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Retter
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:25 PM
    I’d suggest balance. If you are happy with the level of savings you will end up with then go for it. Will your overpayment be penalty free? You need to work out the figures and make sure it’s the wisest thing to do. Personally I have a number for my savings, when I go above it I am happy to siphon off money and put it into my mortgage.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 14th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    I would keep the savings as savings to cover big repair or job loss/reduced hours.

Work out how much spare money is comfortably available after bills/food/transport and fun spend and put that into over paying the mortgage.
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 15th Sep 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:08 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:08 AM
    If your job is secure maybe pay off the mortgage with around 3k, leave the rest and from now on pay any extra into the mortgage...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! 89,004 /65,000 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now 2032 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • BakingC
    • By BakingC 15th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    BakingC
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:23 AM
    Depending on what other aspects such as if you have a family / life insurance / health insurance I think 6 months worth of salary should be enough of a buffer. If you were to lose your job you have 6 months to find another.

However only you can judge how secure your work situation is / job prospects are. If you work in a very niche area finding work may take longer than if you can work in lots of different businesses
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,241Users online

Martin's Twitter