Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seriouslyunsurprising
    • By seriouslyunsurprising 13th Sep 18, 8:10 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 22Thanks
    seriouslyunsurprising
    Feedback on my house listing
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:10 PM
    Feedback on my house listing 13th Sep 18 at 8:10 PM
    Our house has only been on the market 2 weeks but we've only had 2 viewings. Time is of the essence as we've got our eye on another house. The agents think the market is slow but I wondered if anyone would like to have a look and give us some feedback?

It's on for offers over 250, 3 bed terraced cottage in Bramham near Wetherby.

Bracing myself!
Page 3
    • seriouslyunsurprising
    • By seriouslyunsurprising 13th Sep 18, 11:16 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    seriouslyunsurprising
    I think the bottom line is, you need a niche buyer even if the house is fairly priced. Somyou will likely have to wait. I'm in the same position though witha very different property.

You said the other 10k more house is overlooked but does that matter given how much more space it has? A family would surely prefer that to yours. So you need a couple or single, no kids, maybe no car, want to live in a cottage for the "character" and are prepared to give up space, rooms, garden/courtyard, extra toilet, all for that insubstantial feature.

No doubt that buyer is out there though personallly I think it's debatable at your price, plus I think you would also be competing with 2 bed houses and maybe even flats since most people prepared to move into a place that basically has just one living room, won't need 3 bedrooms. A 2 bed with extra dining room would likely be more to many's taste and cheaper.

I fear you may have "overdeveloped" this house especially putting in a third bedroom and you won't get back what you spent.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with selling yours!

We probably did over develop to an extent but had to put the extension on to move the bathroom (and a downstairs bathroom would have made it really tricky to sell I think). As we were doing it anyway we thought we may as well spend a bit more to make it a useable third bedroom rather than a box room as it was before. Luckily there aren't many flats in the area but you may be right about competing with 2 beds. When looking at how much to put it on for we did consider comparable 2 beds as I think the third bedroom is a bonus extra really given the small size of the downstairs. May sell it to the right person though, who knows.

The frustrating thing about selling houses is that all it needs is just one person! All this hassle and stress for one person. I hope you find yours
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 13th Sep 18, 11:36 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    We did get planning permission so not sure where you are looking
    Originally posted by seriouslyunsurprising
    Ah, assuming this is yours then the fault lies with the Leeds search engine: I cannot find this planning using a search on your postcode or your address (or any part thereof).

SP

p.s. As I was looking around for yours, I saw the current application for the "bungalow" nearby - My! Do a lot of people not want that to happen.
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Sep 18, 11:38 PM
    • 4,867 Posts
    • 7,231 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I think you would have got away with the extra work and extension you did if the house had had a garden. It isn't everyone who wants a house on 3 floors and no garden. It wouldn't suit a retired couple or a couple with children. It also wouldn't suit the kind of people you were when you bought it because it is now out of their price range. It was in your price range before you spent money on it. It is now too expensive for a similar couple.

Sorry remembered wrongly it is on for 10k more. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51832989.html But it has already been reduced and it still hasn't sold. This suggests that it is still overpriced.
    • seriouslyunsurprising
    • By seriouslyunsurprising 13th Sep 18, 11:42 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    seriouslyunsurprising
    Ah, assuming this is yours then the fault lies with the Leeds search engine: I cannot find this planning using a search on your postcode or your address (or any part thereof).

SP

p.s. As I was looking around for yours, I saw the current application for the "bungalow" nearby - My! Do a lot of people not want that to happen.
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    Oh yes! It's the hot topic of the village right now will be interesting to see how it turns out. The village !!!!! have already defeated a developer on another site who wanted to demolish an older property and build 3 detached houses on the site.
    • Lrimas
    • By Lrimas 14th Sep 18, 8:16 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Lrimas
    It is a really pretty house. It's a shame about the garden and the amount of living space but if those were not issues you would probably not be selling

I'm no expert (and other people might disagree) but this is what I did not like in the pictures:

What is that ugly chair doing in picture 10?

In picture 2 the foot stool dominates the picture. I agree with the other poster who recommended rearranging the furniture.

Too many pictures hanging on the wall in picture 3. It makes it look 'busy'. Maybe replace with a nice landscape.

I really like the kitchen. Maybe ask the agent to move the picture earlier.

Very ugly light in picture 7 (but that is highly personal)

Too much blue. We have the same problem as blue is the only colour we both agree.

Good luck with selling your house.
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 14th Sep 18, 8:28 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    I think it's overpriced and you've spent money on it to make it what worked for you at the time but you aren't going to get that money back.
    A 3 bed with no rear garden won't fit the wish list of most people. The flying freehold you mention will also put some people off.
    It's beautiful, I love it, but I wouldn't buy it at that price because the points I've mentioned are huge compromises. To get over those the price needs to come down.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 14th Sep 18, 9:43 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    Hey there just a bit of feedback...

it's just covering our debts and the costs of moving. .
    I personally think you are looking at house selling the wrong way. It sounds like you have put your heart and soul into doing the property up without factoring how and IF you could recoup the money spent. You can't factor in covering debts and other costs (unless you work that into your calculations ahead of time) as a house is simply worth what it is worth.

We probably did over develop to an extent but had to put the extension on to move the bathroom (and a downstairs bathroom would have made it really tricky to sell I think).
    It's a cottage! Cottages have downstairs bathrooms. I live in a cottage and love having the bathroom downstairs. I know that is not what we have come to expect due to modern housing but I love and can see the advances like not having a burst pipe leaking through the upstairs ceiling etc.

I do think it is overpriced too. I live in Bristol in a 2 bed cottage with off street parking, 2 back gardens and a garage and I would expect to get around 250-275k. I think you may have to give some thought to dropping the price if you don't get any bites over the coming months.
    Last edited by Unicorn cottage; 14-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Sep 18, 10:44 AM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 14,065 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I like charm and quirk, but draw the line at no garden and open plan kitchen/lounge. The lack of parking is also going to be a deal breaker for many buyers. I also thought it was a bit pricey; as I assumed houses were cheap outside of London Up North.

I fear the issue is the unique nature of the property plus pricing and not one of room dressing/agent incompetence. You may have to be realistic about the length of time it'll be on the market; perhaps sign up to an allotment in the meantime?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Sep 18, 12:06 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 7,165 Thanks
    Smodlet
    It is a beautiful property but I agree with all of the above. I hate having no off road parking but it is easier to put up with than no garden. The lack of either = a firm "No", I'm sorry.

I like Out, Vile Jelly's allotment idea but you will not be allowed to turn it into a football pitch, you know that, right? This is assuming there are any in your vicinity.

I really think you will need to drop the price or stay put until you can afford to move. Is there a park or recreation area close by you can take your children to? What do they do with the space in which the Leeds Fest is held the rest of the time? Can your kids play there? Sorry, I don't know the area at all.

Someone will come along and love it for what it is but who knows when? The only thing I might change now is some of the decor; the overall effect is quite cold, I think. Perhaps some warm coloured prints on the blank walls, some throws and/or rugs and how about a wall unit to create the illusion of a division between the kitchen and the lounge? Even some lamps with warm coloured bulbs could make a difference. Sorry, that's all I can think of. Good luck from me, too.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 14th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    OP, I think your cottage is lovely, and so typical of the quirky cottages in your part of Yorkshire. It also reminds me of some of the equally quirky and lovely (including some with no garden) cottages/weavers cottages in the part of west Yorkshire where I grew up. Flying freeholds, back to back, overdwellings and underdwellings. Plenty of them on those hills.

Your photo's are lovely - one or two minor things that could be tweaked as per other posters but overall fine.

I don't think it's hugely overpriced, if at all - you live in the Golden Triangle part of Yorkshire, it's not cheap so you're waiting for the buyer who doesn't particularly want to be bothered with a garden but would love to live in a quirky period cottage in a very nice village. The only thing you've done that would put me off is lack of downstairs loo. But that won't be an issue for some buyers. Good luck with your sale.

Generally, people who are buying/want to buy in villages like yours know what to expect and aren't going to be put off by some things that would put folks off in a town or a city e.g. on street parking.
    Last edited by Jenniefour; 14-09-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Addition
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Sep 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7,792 Posts
    • 6,230 Thanks
    -taff
    If you wait until you can afford to move i.e.when someone purchase yor house for the asking price, you might be in the same position then, depending on when the house sells. Property will all inflate in value not just your house...
    As you've kind of turned it into a niche house looking for a very specific buyer, have you marketed it as such? Maybe, if you don't get viewings soon, it would be as well to take a few more photos [ put the lights on in every room even if it's daytime], can you take a pic of the bedroom with the desk with an actual bed in there for scale? and review your choice of EA if you are using one.
    Where I live there are definitely upmarket and down market agencies....i.e. the more expensive houses sell through one or two particular agents, the cheaper ones through a different few..
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Sep 18, 2:22 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 12,137 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    For those who've used the Q word and seem to be getting carried away please explain what's quirky (in an attractive way) about a house whose entire downstairs accommodation is a single rectangular room with a modern kitchen at one end and a door practically off the street at the other.
    If that's quirky my ground floor has three rectangular rooms so its 3x quirkier and it has a loo as well
    • SeasideSally
    • By SeasideSally 14th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SeasideSally
    For those who've used the Q word and seem to be getting carried away please explain what's quirky (in an attractive way) about a house whose entire downstairs accommodation is a single rectangular room with a modern kitchen at one end and a door practically off the street at the other.
    Quirky as in beams, sloping ceilings with cupboards in nooks and crannies, interesting stonework, wonky walls, interesting historical features, etc.

I'd put a wall in downstairs to split the area in two. But walking out of a front door onto the street is quite normal for many old cottages. When we bought our cottage, many of the ones we saw had open plan living areas on the ground floor (I think there was a fad for doing this for a while, as converted flats seemed to have gone through the same thing... and still are here) and very little in the garden department. We were lucky, we have two gardens. Our neighbour has a few flagstones and a bin store.

Around here, it's an accepted fact that cottages are more expensive than standard houses with the same number of rooms. It's not just here either. The town we're planning to move to in Devon has large six bed Victorian terraced houses priced lower than two bed terraced cottages.

One thing that does seem to put people off (according to the local conservation officer) is a house in a conservation area (planning and all that). We're listed and in a conservation area, so I'm hoping she's wrong.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Sep 18, 2:59 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 7,165 Thanks
    Smodlet
    If that's quirky my ground floor has three rectangular rooms so its 3x quirkier and it has a loo as well
    ... But is the loo rectangular, AJ? Because that would be quirky, to say nothing of uncomfortable...

You know what "quirky" means; "unusual" is the most polite synonym which springs to mind.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Sep 18, 3:08 PM
    • 11,014 Posts
    • 9,347 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The layout just screams holiday cottage. Wouldn't mind having that as a base for a week or so. Lack of garden, only 1 bathroom, 2 flights of stairs to main bedroom, open plan lounge/kit/diner which would need lights on most of the time and is not that spacious, flying freehold, uncharacteristic modern windows, unusual bathroom layout, no off street parking, tiny outdoor sitting area next to road, yes could live with all that for a week or so.

If you can find a buyer who is quite happy with all of the above, then you will quickly sell. If not then I think price reduction is the order of the day.
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 14th Sep 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    Have you done your research on previous sold prices in the area?

I thought it seemed reasonable for the area. Live not too far away and my daughter looking in that range.
    June challenge 100 a day 3161.63 plus 350 vouchers plus 108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge 50 a day. 1682.50/1550

October challenge 100 a day. 385/3100
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Or for just 10k more oodles more space,extra loo, parking outside, garage,garden etc etc
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51832989.html

"Added on Rightmove:
    25 November 2017"
    • jonbey
    • By jonbey 16th Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jonbey
    Thanks for the feedback. The link doesn't seem to be working though?
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=71828906&sale=7195234&cou ntry=england

(remove the space in country and the link should work)

Land Registry sold prices
    4 Victoria Place, Clifford, Wetherby, West Yorkshire LS23 6JJ
    Sale Date Property Price Paid Source
    15 Jun 2018 Terraced, Freehold 196,500 Land Registry
    Previously listed on Rightmove on June 2018
    2 bedroom terraced house

• Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 17th Sep 18, 11:25 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Looks like the market in the area is "sluggish"?
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think your house is well presented, but I also think you have a fairly small market. Most people looking for 3 beds are likely to be similar to you, and will want a bit more space, and outside space. And parking.

The to totally open plan kitchen / lounge will be off-putting to some, particularly as there is no other downstairs space at all.

I agree with the poster who said it looks like a holiday cottage, not a family home - the things that are off putting, such as the lack of outside space, wouldn't matter so much (although the lack of parking may be an issue)

The kitchen area is nice, but I wouldn't want it in my living room, and other than the fireplace in the living area there isn't much that says 'character property' to me ( the loft room is more 'loft conversion' than 'character')

I don't know the area, but looking at the other properties people have linked to, I suspect that it is overpriced for what it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

304Posts Today

4,390Users online

Martin's Twitter