Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 13th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 315Posts
    • 62Thanks
    n1guy
    Is there anyone I can report housing benefit folk too?
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    Is there anyone I can report housing benefit folk too? 13th Sep 18 at 5:37 PM
    Long story short as I have mentioned this before. Last year I had a housing benefit overpayment. It had been going on for 4-5 years, to do with change of tax code and me not notifying them, I thought I did but took it on the chin and arranged repayment.

So last month no housing benefit. I phoned to enquire why only to be told a pack of lies, no problem just a system issue you will get it backdated in next payment run. The following day in comes a letter about another overpayment for the previous year for £400. Impossible as I I told them when my tax code changed, I told them this and they told me to appeal an put it in writing.

So I did I put it in writing, I gave them times and dates I called from itemised phone bills. 2 weeks went on no reply, I said to the Mrs "I bet the next thing will be they never received this" so I phoned yep never received anything. So I sent it again made sure I sent it recorded, gave another few days, no nothing, I said you have received it and gave the tracking number "Ah well that must have got misplaced.

I smell something fishy going on here. My letter was blunt and to the point along with all times and dates I called them, I caught them out, I told them someone at that front desk is not doing their job clearly, and I was even told a pack of lies when I called to inquire why my money was not in. I told them to listen to these so-called recorded calls.

So you see the issue here. Where do I go now?
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    Go through your local council's complaints procedure. It will be on their website..

If you are still unhappy try the LGO

https://www.lgo.org.uk

But they'll expect you to try and sort it locally, first.
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 13th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    Go through your local council's complaints procedure. It will be on their website..

If you are still unhappy try the LGO

https://www.lgo.org.uk

But they'll expect you to try and sort it locally, first.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Do you think I have good cause to or would I be making a !!!! of myself?
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 13th Sep 18, 6:02 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:02 PM
    A phone call reporting a change in tax code won't alter your Housing Benefit claim until you send in documentary evidence of the change in income.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 13th Sep 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 2,462 Thanks
    _shel
    Originally posted by n1guy
    Have you made a formal complaint in writing to the Council?

If not the LGO won't look at it.
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    Have you made a formal complaint in writing to the Council?

If not the LGO won't look at it.
    Originally posted by _shel
    No. I didnít know what to do or where to go hence this post
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    No comment

I've learnt from long experience that making a judgement having heard only one side of the story is fraught with difficulties.

All I'd say is that you have a history of problems with your HB. You can either continue moaning about it on this forum or take the issue up the food chain. We can't sort it for you
    • tboo
    • By tboo 13th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    tboo
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    Long story short as I have mentioned this before. Last year I had a housing benefit overpayment. It had been going on for 4-5 years, to do with change of tax code and me not notifying them, I thought I did but took it on the chin and arranged repayment.

So last month no housing benefit. I phoned to enquire why only to be told a pack of lies, no problem just a system issue you will get it backdated in next payment run. The following day in comes a letter about another overpayment for the previous year for £400. Impossible as I I told them when my tax code changed, I told them this and they told me to appeal an put it in writing.

So I did I put it in writing, I gave them times and dates I called from itemised phone bills. 2 weeks went on no reply, I said to the Mrs "I bet the next thing will be they never received this" so I phoned yep never received anything. So I sent it again made sure I sent it recorded, gave another few days, no nothing, I said you have received it and gave the tracking number "Ah well that must have got misplaced.

I smell something fishy going on here. My letter was blunt and to the point along with all times and dates I called them, I caught them out, I told them someone at that front desk is not doing their job clearly, and I was even told a pack of lies when I called to inquire why my money was not in. I told them to listen to these so-called recorded calls.

So you see the issue here. Where do I go now?

If the opening post is in relation to the saga here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5886428
    Then why don't you just update on that one

You will have to formally ask for any recorded phone calls and be aware some systems only keep them for so long, so be sharpish asking.
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    ďYouíre only here for a short visit. Donít hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.Ē óWalter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    • 5,212 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:57 PM
    check online for your council complaint process. If you do not receive a satisfactory response then contact lgo per the link below

https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint/fact-sheets/benefits-and-tax/housing-benefit-claims
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 13th Sep 18, 8:00 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    n1guy
    If the opening post is in relation to the saga here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5886428
    Then why don't you just update on that one

You will have to formally ask for any recorded phone calls and be aware some systems only keep them for so long, so be sharpish asking.
    Originally posted by tboo
    So hereís the issue. They have no record of any contact or so they say, my telephone bill says different.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 13th Sep 18, 8:18 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    So hereís the issue. They have no record of any contact or so they say, my telephone bill says different.
    ...and?

If you did report a change they would have said provide documentary evidence of the change as soon as it is available.

I assume if you did have a telephone conversation you then sent in the documentary evidence of the change in your income as soon as it was available?
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 13th Sep 18, 8:33 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    n1guy
    ...and?

If you did report a change they would have said provide documentary evidence of the change as soon as it is available.

I assume if you did have a telephone conversation you then sent in the documentary evidence of the change in your income as soon as it was available?
    Originally posted by Afraid of Kittens
    They said they could already see the change due to real time reporting. Which totally baffles me how I can be overpaid then. They see the change, I told them about the change they did nothing and now itís my fault.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 14th Sep 18, 9:10 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    They said they could already see the change due to real time reporting. Which totally baffles me how I can be overpaid then. They see the change, I told them about the change they did nothing and now it’s my fault.
    There will be a computer record of everytime WURTI was accessed to check information.

You can request details of the exact dates anyone from the HB Department accessed your private wage details from HMRC - there will be computer logs. This should tie in with your telephone call. Both HMRC and the Housing Benefit Department will know the exact time and date and the name of the user who accessed the information. (If the Officer failed to act then there is a 'training need')

Although even if they failed to act they will argue it would be reasonable for you to expect an increase in your wages would cause a decrease in your Housing Benefit entitlement and the overpayment is recoverable.

You could argue that the overpayment is an official error that you would not have been reasonable expected to know about.

This is the HB overpayment guide https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/696191/hbopg-part-4-recovery-of-overpayments.pdf

4.350 onwards might be helpful
    Last edited by Afraid of Kittens; 14-09-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 14th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    Make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998 asking for the exact time and dates your local authority Housing Benefit Department accessed your wage details from the HMRC using RTI.

You can also make a separate request to HMRC to see when your local authority Housing Benefit Department accessed the information held by HMRC.
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 14th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    n1guy
    Thanks for all your help guys. Going to do some research at the weekend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

524Posts Today

6,670Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin