Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 13th Sep 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,264Posts
    • 3,402Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    It really IRKS me when
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:14 PM
    It really IRKS me when 13th Sep 18 at 5:14 PM
    When people say ''Bless you''...especially when it don't fit into anything that is being said

''I am just going shopping''

''ahhhh Bless you''

It really winds me up.. To me it comes across as patronizing and like they have some kind of god complex

I'm currently sitting across from a lady in the office, who says this several times per day

What silly things like that irritate you? Silly sayings etc?
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 11,063 Posts
    • 14,606 Thanks
    hazyjo
    It's become popular. Whatsisface on Celeb BB said it at everything, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before the masses join in.

Bit like 'So...' at the start of a sentence when it's not needed or relevant. I can't begin to tell you how much that annoys me. See it all the time on these forums and it sends me crazy. (Sorry if any of you have posted it above lol. Not trying to offend/dig lol.)
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes; Thai cooking stuff; Jo Brand talk; Slime Factory; Flawless tickets; Comedy night tickets
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Sep 18, 10:00 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Why have people started to say "can I get..." as in "can I get a skinny mocha latte"?
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 14th Sep 18, 11:28 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    Artytarty
    This too!
    It should be Please may I have...?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 14th Sep 18, 11:50 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Whenever I hear anyone sneeze I always! say bless you - it's a habit but I just see it as polite.
    Now I was type this I'm questioning myself....am I just a weirdo??
    Originally posted by BeckyAP
    Not weird but probably not young either.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 14th Sep 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    pattycake
    “How are you?” “I’m good thanks”. Why good. Shouldn’t it be fine or well. Irritates the life out of me. Along with “So....” of course.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th Sep 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 9,597 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    1: Iím not talking abou people with issues walking

2: No. Iím sick of this nonsense. I donít care. Everyone has their issues and if I accommodate each one Iíll never get anything done. If you canít walk quickly; why not the the considerate one and move out of the way? Why is their issue, now my issue?!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I donít know, I guess I thought you might care about behaving like a decent human being.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Sep 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,474 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    Comms69
    I donít know, I guess I thought you might care about behaving like a decent human being.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Well in your definition of decent, no.

I see no difference in saying the decent thing is to not slow everyone else down.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Sep 18, 12:19 PM
    • 31,432 Posts
    • 60,510 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I don't often say 'bless you', but I nearly always say 'God bless' to people as a leaving remark. Why? Because I think it a good thing to say to someone who I will not be seeing for at least a little while. It's a good thing to wish blessing on someone, isn't it?
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 14th Sep 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I don't often say 'bless you', but I nearly always say 'God bless' to people as a leaving remark. Why? Because I think it a good thing to say to someone who I will not be seeing for at least a little while. It's a good thing to wish blessing on someone, isn't it?
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    For a person of faith, definitely - as a mindless cliche, not so much.
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 14th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    shiny76
    Whenever I hear anyone sneeze I always! say bless you - it's a habit but I just see it as polite.
    Now I was type this I'm questioning myself....am I just a weirdo??
    Originally posted by BeckyAP
    I say "Gord bless you". So you may be a weirdo as well!

Another odd saying for me is strangers who say farewell with "See you later". I've taken to replying "I hope not!" (with a smile)
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 14th Sep 18, 2:54 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    shiny76
    People that incorrectly correct you.

e.g. my ex used to correct me
    Me: "I would've got there quicker..."
    Ex: "It's would HAVE not would OF"
    Me:
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 13,272 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    People using the word "technically" for things that aren't technicalities. I've also noticed a rise in people using the reflexive pronoun incorrectly, for example, "Myself and my husband are buying a house." Arggghhhhhh!

Those who write "a lot" as one word but who don't mean "allot" although I find this helps:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Sep 18, 3:01 PM
    • 13,272 Posts
    • 19,098 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    My ex who used to say, "that's not how my mum does it."
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 3:10 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    People that incorrectly correct you.

e.g. my ex used to correct me
    Me: "I would've got there quicker..."
    Ex: "It's would HAVE not would OF"
    Me:
    Originally posted by shiny76

I've always assumed that that's how the bad version came about: people would say "would've", then people misheard it as "would of" and started saying/writing it the wrong way.

People using the word "technically" for things that aren't technicalities. I've also noticed a rise in people using the reflexive pronoun incorrectly, for example, "Myself and my husband are buying a house." Arggghhhhhh!

Those who write "a lot" as one word but who don't mean "allot" although I find this helps:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    Originally posted by Pixie5740

The "myself" thing is one of my bugbears (probably because an awful person I used to know uses it a lot because he thinks it makes "himself" sound posh).

And I also love both the alot and hyperbole and a half.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 14th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    donnac2558
    The only time I have had it said to me is when I sneeze. Don't take it under my notice.
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 14th Sep 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Anybody using "hun" should be shot by them.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha

Yes, a million times. It's really fake
    Last edited by pickledonionspaceraider; 14-09-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 14th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    It depends. I find "God bless" a bit invasive (along the same lines as "I'm praying for you"). If I wanted God's blessing, I'd join an organised religion. "Bless you" without naming the deity in question is a bit milder and doesn't bother me at all. I'm also fine with "Merry Christmas", hymns at funerals and stuff like that, but "God bless" reminds me of a certain type of person I've come across too often.

Was walking down the street once a few weeks before Christmas. A lovely young lady handed me a leaflet and invited me to a carol singing thing they were doing to raise money. I like carols, so I smiled and accepted and was planning on going along. At the other end of the street, a less lovely woman tried to hand me a leaflet for the same thing. I smiled and asked, "Is this about the carol singing?" I wanted to save her wasting a leaflet on me. "No, it's about our lord Jesus!" she barked and scowled at me. I didn't go to the carol singing.

That second lady is the only sort of person who's ever said "God bless" at me, so I tend to hear it as some kind of weird threat, like God's going to come and get me whether I want it or not.

I seem to put out some kind of "emergency conversion required" pheromone. It's not just Christians--I seem to attract conversion emergency responders from all religions.
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 14th Sep 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    And there is always '' At this moment in time........''
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Sep 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Bit like 'So...' at the start of a sentence when it's not needed or relevant. I can't begin to tell you how much that annoys me. See it all the time on these forums and it sends me crazy. (Sorry if any of you have posted it above lol. Not trying to offend/dig lol.)
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Almost as annoying is the politicians' favourite of preceding a sentence with the word 'look'. I think Tony Blair started that one, or at least popularised it.
    • libra10
    • By libra10 14th Sep 18, 4:18 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 218,283 Thanks
    libra10
    It really annoys me when computer spellcheck insists on altering correct English spellings of words to the USA equivalent.

Words such as centre, colour, and humour are automatically altered to spellings used in the USA - center, color, humor.

Why can't Mr Microsoft change the software for countries which are not USA states? After all, the language is English (not American)!

(I can see the supposedly incorrect spellings highlighted in red, as I am typing this! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,129Posts Today

9,191Users online

Martin's Twitter