Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 14Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Shower head drip
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    Shower head drip 13th Sep 18 at 4:47 PM
    Hi

Just noticed a small drip/leak from one of the holes in my shower head today. A large drop coming out every 10 seconds or so. The taps are closed tight and the tube is tightened.

Anything else to do? Or buy a new head/tube?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    If the head is at an angle then dripps will occur at the low end after it has been turned off. This can happen 10 hours after as the drips will be slow (depends on type of head I guess, certainly can happend even after 10 hours with a soaker head).

Simpley shake the thing a lot when the water is off to get anything that might drip out, and then it should not drip.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    Yes it's at a horizontal angle as usual but has never ever happened before and I've given it a quick shake
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    If it keeps on dripping the taps must be leaking as once they are turned off no more water should be coming thru the shower pipe/hose.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 13th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    What sort of shower is it? Simply plumbed into the hot and cold? Electric? Pumped? Mains pressure hot water?

As mentioned above, even a properly functioning shower head can give occasional drips hours later.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 13th Sep 18, 9:00 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:00 PM
    Not offering any use but just had the shower drip on me, which was approx 12 hours after it was used.

Change the shower head, shake it after using, keep it pointing up or stick a rubber bath mat in after use to mute the drip.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Sep 18, 10:30 PM
    • 7,824 Posts
    • 53,009 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:30 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:30 PM
    Our shower (fixed overhead, mains fed) developed a drip last year after the cartridge stopped working and was replaced. I had the thing apart, back together half a dozen times to no avail, changed all the washers I could realistically get to and still it dripped.

Ended up fitting one of these - ok it's an extra thing to flick on to shower but drip no more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HSWPYIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 14th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    What sort of shower is it? Simply plumbed into the hot and cold? Electric? Pumped? Mains pressure hot water?

As mentioned above, even a properly functioning shower head can give occasional drips hours later.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Sorry I'm not sure exactly the types.

It's not directly connected to the taps and there is no box attached to the wall.

There Is a mixer rod/bar at the wall, off which comes the pipe and head. Guess that's pumped?!

Anyway I'll try giving it a good shake.

Do you think it's a leak?

If not, I can live with it I guess, but as I say it's never dripped likes this ever before
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 12th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    It's now an annoying, constant steady STREAM. Virtually.

Turning the off knob tight holds off, but when I let go, it starts again.

Anything I should do or get a plumber?

It's one of the showers turned by a rod, hot/cold one end, on/off other end
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 12th Jan 19, 10:29 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    I've undone the shower head tube from the rod attached to the wall in the bath

There is a steady drip coming out
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 12th Jan 19, 11:46 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    I've spoken to a plumber with messages and pictures, they said I need a new mixer valve. 60quid to fit like for like and reset boiler.

I don't really have tools, so does this sound reasonable?

I've just reserved the cheapest from screwfix for about 50quid. The shower head and hose were here before I moved in and quire old / tatty, so reserved those for 25 quid.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Jan 19, 11:52 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    If you don't have the tools I'm guessing you don't have the knowhow either, so get a plumber to supply and fit the new mixer. Buying stuff yourself is all very well but it's usually better to get the expert to buy it. You may think you'll save a few quid but when he arrives and what you've bought isn't the right model or simply doesn't work, it's a pain to sort out. By all means buy things like hoses and heads which are easy to change, but leave the technical stuff to the professional.

Also, the cheapest might not be the way to go. A decent plumber will probably be able to get better quality parts at better rates than you can buy cheap rubbish.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Jan 19, 2:15 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    He said its the right one when I showed him the link

He said he doesn't supply, only does labour

I don't have money spare for an expensive mixer. This is an emergency situation expense
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jan 19, 7:19 AM
    • 8,656 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    esuhl
    I think you should just be able to change the rubber rings in the mixer tap to fix the problem.

I've done this myself on kitchen mixer taps and separate bathroom taps. All you need to do is turn off the water, take the tap apart, and replace the rubber O-ring washers.

It should be a fairly easy job.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    When I messaged him, he says because the hose had been disconnected from the mixer valve and there were drips coming out of the mixer valve, then it wasn't the washer. Does this sound correct?
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Jan 19, 12:36 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    And says its not the rubber, for the same reason
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    When I messaged him, he says because the hose had been disconnected from the mixer valve and there were drips coming out of the mixer valve, then it wasn't the washer. Does this sound correct?
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    Yes, but I don't think that's what esuhl meant. You're talking about the washer between the hose and the mixer. I think the o-rings esuhl are referring to are in the mixer itself.

Just wait until the plumber arrives and let him deal wit it. All this second-guessing and text messaging isn't going to get the problem fixed any faster. He needs to be on site to diagnose the problem properly.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 8,360 Posts
    • 7,547 Thanks
    phill99
    I think you should just be able to change the rubber rings in the mixer tap to fix the problem.

I've done this myself on kitchen mixer taps and separate bathroom taps. All you need to do is turn off the water, take the tap apart, and replace the rubber O-ring washers.

It should be a fairly easy job.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Incorrect.

A shower valve does not work in the same way a set of taps does.

It uses cartridges, not rubber washers.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 13th Jan 19, 7:40 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Well they've done it now. Very quick job. Would have saved me cash if I had tools and time or inclination. But new mixer valve fitted. They said the old mixer was a cheap one and the ceramic insides crack easily, and that would be 40 pounds to replace, so I did better just paying 50 quid for a new mixer valve

They fitted shower head and hose too, and I think that was a good idea as when they checked in the old hose there was like black grease / gunk.

They checked the boiler and noticed small leak (there was in previous months occasionally a drip of sludge) and they said that's why the sink hot water pressure was low
    They said that would be 200pound,but not worth doing yet as there were no major issues.

Bet it was the quickest cash they've made But, after 3 months no leak, so I'm delighted.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Jan 19, 8:53 PM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Just as a side note, the small leak inside your boiler with have absolutely nothing to do with a low hot water pressure at your sink
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,713Posts Today

8,175Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin